Electricity

In the event of a power outage without severe weather, I would think just about every corps would have a generator right? What's the point of spending millions on all this stuff and not a few grand on a generator?

The question is more weather related. Then the question becomes what happens. I know I saw spirit at one if those shows and thought it was better than at rehearsal that day with the electronics (not ragging on the electronics just thought that it was a great performance). However, I can see how some corps may not cope as well.

Lastly, wouldn't general effect have to be scored lower for someone like crown if it does in fact hinder their program?

Edited by xtreme0204

In the event of a power outage without severe weather, I would think just about every corps would have a generator right? What's the point of spending millions on all this stuff and not a few grand on a generator?

The question is more weather related. Then the question becomes what happens. I know I saw spirit at one if those shows and thought it was better than at rehearsal that day with the electronics (not ragging on the electronics just thought that it was a great performance). However, I can see how some corps may not cope as well.

Lastly, wouldn't general effect have to be scored lower for someone like crown if it does in fact hinder their program?

I would think maybe GE wouldn't max out w/out electronics, however judges are human and understand that sometimes things happen beyond a corps' control and typically aren't jerks if things go bad, Think post-rain, when kids fall on the wet turf: a judge is not likely going to crucify a corps' Vis scores because of the falls. The same would be true in this instance, and I vaguely remember Cadets maybe having massive electronics problems at a show a few years ago and still winning GE and the show (could be remembering wrong, but since this is the internet I have no doubt someone will quickly jump in to correct me if so :tongue: )

Our pit in 2010 only used their own generator. At rehearsal, shows, wherever. It was just consistent and they knew how it worked with our gear.

• Like 1

If a corps uses "green" energy, will the judges give them another point or two?

It happened last night at BG... The show was delayed slightly because of power issues at the stadium (not relative to the storm that never came). All of the corps except Pioneer had their own generator... Some ran an extra long extension cord to power that worked.

You can find the Honda 2000W inverter (quiet) generator for about $800... I just bought one for that price for my band. The 3000W is a little more. Seems a very very small price to pay for the insurance and the other values they provide.

Crown did the counting in the opener without electronics at Stanford, so I'm sure they'd be fine without it.

Our pit in 2010 only used their own generator. At rehearsal, shows, wherever. It was just consistent and they knew how it worked with our gear.

Yeah, I was told by the pit when I marched was that they solely rely on a generator as they can depend on its consistency, and that plugging their equipment in random sockets will have a different power output from show to show, so it would be hard to calibrate their speaker output correctly.

• Like 1

Yeah, a lot of people have already touched on this, but I'll just confirm again. With Crown, we pretty much always, ALWAYS have our generator available. In fact, if my memory serves correctly, we almost always used it. Very often the stadium would have an outlet or power source to provide, but it wouldn't give enough energy to run our equipment. After that happened a few times in 2011 and messed with our sound system, we started to always keep the generator with us for the show.

Or my memory may be completely whonky and I don't remember anything.