BD v. SCV

A few observations: As a G7 "We ARE the show" corps, BD should put their money where their mouth is and......show up at shows. Looks like BD is doing 24 shows and SCV and The Cadets are doing 27...and SOA looks to be doing 30 shows. Just an observation, I know there are many factors involved.....eh whatever.

System Blue and the Blue Devils aren't training the next generation of DC member and fans. Open Class and corps placing 13th-23rd are doing that. The trained members then jump to the likes of the top corps....that's how it works.

Thanks for the quick review of the System Blue experience day....I know it is one person's opinion. I avoid all things System Blue due the BDs position within the G7 and I can now add their camps to the list of products to ignore.

• Like 5

You're right, training the next generation of drum corps performers and fans doesn't do nuthin' for nobody.

At best, BD is training no one but their accountant and treasurer. I can at least meet you half way that the Systems Blue things IN THE US are a major public relations, recruiting event for BD. Giving your major attention to brass players and drummers while still taking checks from woodwinds and string players is not the tops of "best practices" from what I have seen from the System Blue clinics I have observed.

P.S. Having only seen negative comments in diatribe from you to anything I have ever posted, I am wondering if you have designated me as your "poster pinata"??? I can take it if it means telling the truth even when BD fans demur.

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 4

At best, BD is training no one but their accountant and treasurer. I can at least meet you half way that the Systems Blue things IN THE US are a major public relations, recruiting event for BD. Giving your major attention to brass players and drummers while still taking checks from woodwinds and string players is not the tops of "best practices" from what I have seen from the System Blue clinics I have observed.

P.S. Having only seen negative comments in diatribe from you to anything I have ever posted, I am wondering if you have designated me as your "poster pinata"??? I can take it if it means telling the truth even when BD fans demur.

You've been posting for what, a month? Not really much of a history. I don;t even recall seeing your username, so to answer your question....no.

BD's clinics are some of the best, if not THE best, in drum corps. I'd send my students there in a heartbeat.

• Like 6

Lot's of smart people here and yet nobody considers the economics of the small drum corps show sponsor.

*Mid week show in small stadium does not have the potential to draw a huge crowd with high ticket prices. Especially when you are competing with big shows on the weekends.

*Stadium rental cost and other logistic expenses to put on a show. Schools do not provide these things for free and it is not cheap.

*DCI contract. Covers judges and payment to the corps and other overhead. How many top drum corps are in your show determines the contract price significantly.

Consider that SCV or BD not attending a show and forgoing a show fee may be allowing the show sponsor a chance at not losing money or being able to put the show on at all. The visiting top draw corps also needs as many opportunities as they can to offset tour costs and these small show provide a pay day and incentive to travel west.

When disputing what I have wrote, please indicate your participation and knowlege of sponsoring a small mid week show. I have been involved with small independent group show planning and the chance of losing money is very real. You need to be smart in all things drumcorps related including the economics of it all.

• Like 6

*Mid week show in small stadium does not have the potential to draw a huge crowd with high ticket prices. Especially when you are competing with big shows on the weekends.

This must be why the G7 proposed that they would only perform on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and that the unwashed masses would perform during the week, and fortunately be allowed to grace the same field on Saturdays.

• Like 1

This must be why the G7 proposed that they would only perform on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and that the unwashed masses would perform during the week, and fortunately be allowed to grace the same field on Saturdays.

I bet they don't really care where the unwashed masses perform, since that was your phrase from back in 2010 when DCP had to create an additional forum to field all the whining and complaining because of the proposal... But if they made it so that they were not hurting a show sponsor by costing them too much for their mid week show to be profitable, then the G-7 corps did the drum corps community a favor in this instance by keeping that small show operating in a manner that it can afford. If I understand Doug's post correctly.

Incidentally... your unwashed masses thing is really old... Call yourself what you wish, we ALL would have been able to tell you were if we were we to sit too near you at that small midweek show... :thumbdown:

• Like 2

Just a question. The other top 10 WC finalist corps attending the NorCal series of shows (Blue Knights) ALSO skipped out of the Santa Clara show and headed north to Oregon where they will meet up with SCV again on Thursday in Medford, yet I see no mention nor complaint about their decision to do so mentioned here. Why is that?

• Like 1