I don't love any of this year's shows

I'm the opposite, this is by far the most I've enjoyed shows this early. To each their own.

Completely agree. I'm an old schooler and I'm in love with the 2013 reps. With extremely few exceptions, I think the music this year is more exciting, engaging, and fan-friendly than in quite some time. Don't know how much of this is due to the new sheets and the Cesario factor, but I applaud the designers for finally starting to get it that when the fans win, everyone wins.

I sympathize with the OP, and from personal experience I'd recommend sticking it out.

I had my "down year" like that in 2006, when I felt that, essentially, everyone had apparently jumped on the bus to CrazyDesignVille and left me behind. To this day, I cannot listen to the Cavies show (watch, but not listen), watch Phantom's (listen, but not watch), etc... Made me wonder if I had jumped the shark as a fan.

Then 2007 rolled around, and I was back on board again, no problems. Sometimes it just happens - certain years don't have enough to keep you as invested as you were.

Mike

There are definitely better years than others for probably all of us. To me two great relatively recent seasons were 2008 and 2011. I am music first-type fan. Like the OP...this season ain't happening for me as well.

But the nice thing about DCI is that if you don't like the majority of the 20-odd shows on display this year, there will be 20-odd more next year.

But this is a heck of a thing...isn't it? There is so much downtime between seasons...and to have to wait til the start of a new season now is pretty awful. Instead...how bout we who don't like what's happening flood Mike C. with emails/notes asking him to take on an almost complete overhaul of the current judging system. Something that encourages corps to reach out to a larger demographic of fans/listeners.....just a thought. Again...the campaign of "Let's engage the fans more" was their idea (I am guessing a response to the fans)

So, I'm sorry to be a stick in the mud, but I have a problem. I don't love any of this year's shows. I've watched what's available on the Fan Network and, frankly, I'm disappointed. Is there something wrong with me or something wrong with DCI?

The best show of the bunch is Phantom, but even that feels . . . different. With the exception of SCV, it seems like everyone is taking a turn toward Weird Town, where BD Is the mayor. This is a town where everyone must have obtrusive props and electronics of you're penalized. This is not to say the members aren't putting forth a great effort and executing well, but it's more a reflection of the designers and the "adults in the room." What in the world is happening?

The music selection/arrangement is perhaps the biggest disappointment for me. Sure, there are some great moments, but the overall entertainment value is suffering. I feel like I"m hearing and watching a modern dance ensemble rather than drum corps. I really, really help this is just a passing fad because, if not, I don't know how much longer I can stick around.

Please help.

/rant over.

You are not alone OP.

I am completely with ya. After hearing some pre-season youtube clips of music, the standford ca webcast, dc at the movies I am now just about cancelling my plans to go to Indy this season. I am attending my first live dci show on Friday...but I doubt this will change my mind. I have a hotel to cancel and tics to sell...and fortunately I did not book any airfare yet.

So..a few webcasts, dci east in Allentown, the loud and live event and Friday nights webcast will do it for me.

Am i jumping the gun? Nope. I am a seasoned drum corps fan...and can tell when a season filled with shows that I don't care for is present. I know that if I attend dci in indy...I will be frustrated with the incredible talent of the members being wasted on mostly much less than inspiring content/arrangements (There are exceptions..some shows are kick butt already). And please understand this is an opinion...some will love 2013

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1

I'm actually feeling the complete opposite. Everything I've seen live leads me to believe this will be one of my favorite seasons. I've been lucky enough to see the Stanford and Fairfield shows live. It's so much better than online. Crown was unbelievable as we're BD and Cadets. They are not nearly as great online. I'm glad that's available, but ths would not be the first time I was underwhelmed by an online sho only to be knocked out seeing it live.

Check out Crown's rotating 3D pyramid. BD's arranging is stunning. Cadets have an amazing package I believe is the winner. And that's just top 3!

Phantom is pretty. Bluecoats are so interesting. Madison is amazing. SCV s great and reminds me of older days. Blue Knights are one my favorites this year. Spirit is great. I'm just happy in general with great drum corps this season!

• Like 4

So, I'm sorry to be a stick in the mud, but I have a problem. I don't love any of this year's shows. I've watched what's available on the Fan Network and, frankly, I'm disappointed. Is there something wrong with me or something wrong with DCI?

The best show of the bunch is Phantom, but even that feels . . . different. With the exception of SCV, it seems like everyone is taking a turn toward Weird Town, where BD Is the mayor. This is a town where everyone must have obtrusive props and electronics of you're penalized. This is not to say the members aren't putting forth a great effort and executing well, but it's more a reflection of the designers and the "adults in the room." What in the world is happening?

The music selection/arrangement is perhaps the biggest disappointment for me. Sure, there are some great moments, but the overall entertainment value is suffering. I feel like I"m hearing and watching a modern dance ensemble rather than drum corps. I really, really help this is just a passing fad because, if not, I don't know how much longer I can stick around.

Please help.

/rant over.

Could not disagree more. There is only one show I've seen that I don't like (I won't mention it, because many people here love it and I don't want to argue about it). I can't remember a season where I've been as excited about so many shows as I am this year.

• Like 1