Hi everyone. Newbie here...Want to float an idea by you.

How about this instead: Fans (who care to) can pay to enter a drawing to become a "guest judge" in the booth. Day of show you'd receive some light training on the sheets, and your score accounts for something like 1% weight (or some other low-impact percentage) of the overall score.

Or don't have "guest" score count at all. But you still get to sit in the booth, wear the badge, and be introduced on the field.

Want some REAL excitement? Raffle off a chance to be a field judge!

w00t.gif/>

This is the best idea ever.

I have said for many years that one thing DCI could do to improve its fan relations & involvement is to let fans vote on their cell phones for their favorite corps during a show & actually assign a small 3 to 5 point caption for it. We live in a technology & reality show world. Its time for DCI to get on board.

I have said for many years that one thing DCI could do to improve its fan relations & involvement is to let fans vote on their cell phones for their favorite corps during a show & actually assign a small 3 to 5 point caption for it. We live in a technology & reality show world. Its time for DCI to get on board.

This would only really work if they had some way to limit the voting to one per person AT the show. I recall something like this a few years ago where they announced the text # at the show. It was quickly posted all over the internet and received far more votes than they sold tickets. I suppose if every ticket had a serial # you had to also enter, it might work. But, you still have the problem of the dinosaurs and their non-text-capable flip phones (like my parents).

This would only really work if they had some way to limit the voting to one per person AT the show. I recall something like this a few years ago where they announced the text # at the show. It was quickly posted all over the internet and received far more votes than they sold tickets. I suppose if every ticket had a serial # you had to also enter, it might work. But, you still have the problem of the dinosaurs and their non-text-capable flip phones (like my parents).

The point is valid, not sure texting is the way to go...needs to be through the web. That's why I like the idea of charging something for it, get a user ID/password, charge $9.99, $19.99, $29.99 something like that, cast your vote there within a certain time frame. This would prevent, at least deter, an army of voters from one corps ganging up voting multiple times as an earlier poster suggested, especially if it is $29.99 a pop. So you only have 1000 ppl nation wide go and vote, that's an extra $30k in revenue to DCI made in 1 day just for setting it up, what if 10,000 voted (I would say we would have a better consensus of who is truly the champ with a 1000+ votes vs the judging panel worried about offending a corps director, especially if that director is the Chairman of DCI). If I was on staff there I would be pushing that hard...and like the other poster said, encourages fan involvement and with technology today, this would not hard to set up and run.

Edited by JKT90

Flip-phones?!? I still own a rotary..........................someday they may come back. :tongue:/>

The point is valid, not sure texting is the way to go...needs to be through the web. That's why I like the idea of charging something for it, get a user ID/password, charge $9.99, $19.99, $29.99 something like that, cast your vote there within a certain time frame. This would prevent, at least deter, an army of voters from one corps ganging up voting multiple times as an earlier poster suggested, especially if it is $29.99 a pop. So you only have 1000 ppl nation wide go and vote, that's an extra $30k in revenue to DCI made in 1 day just for setting it up, what if 10,000 voted (I would say we would have a better consensus of who is truly the champ with a 1000+ votes vs the judging panel worried about offending a corps director, especially if that director is the Chairman of DCI). If I was on staff there I would be pushing that hard...and like the other poster said, encourages fan involvement and with technology today, this would not hard to set up and run.

I think it would also be cool if they could get 10,000+ across the country to vote, then take the proceeds and distribute them back to the corps (sort of the like the SEC does with its' member schools). This would be a responsible act of DCI to help corps who struggle financially each year and could encourage more parity across the sport. Deduct the cost of running the site of course, but way cool if DCI distributed $100, $300k back to the corps. I think this is a win win all the way around personally.

you want fans to decide a show? 3-5 points can mean 4 or 5 positions! that randomness and up and down favorites from region to region would bring things right back to the days before DCI....technology is great but as I said back in another post even the reality shows are finding out that the wrong people are winning due to audience voting for all the wrong reasons....many have put final votes in their ( judges hands )or at least a major weight so inevitably its almost always still judges fav's.

In the end, this would not be a "fan favorite", it would be "which corps can mobilize their online army best and get them all to vote 6 billion times each".

and for those who have no favorite corps, we could vote for whoever we liked best, which can change from year to year.

imagine that

thatsaid, no thank you

Edited by Jeff Ream

For my first post, figured I would dive straight in. Everyone knows the topic of "Judging", "Slotting" etc is controversial, and will always be that way. Nothing we can do about that, at least not that I know of. So, my solution to this, and there are various forms it could take, one of which could be a revenue maker for DCI is to add a Fan Vote. It doesn't count towards medaling, but it would be a separate award given to the those corps.

A few ways this could look:

1) As a form of revenue to DCI, on quater-finals for $x.xx you can create a log in/user ID, down load the judges sheet and submit your own top 12, winner, high drums, best GE, etc. There is a time cut off, DCI cumulates the scores and announces the results prior to the official results, or on FB and their website.

2) On DCI's website you drag and drop each corps to the placement you feel they need to be and click submit. The announcements are not made at finals, however, the results are tallied and presented as part of DCI's web/social media experience.

Those are just two, and am sure a good discussion could produce more...the bottom line, in my opinion, if many of us feel we have no say, so thinking along the lines of fan participation (ala American Idol), I think this would be a really cool thing to see. With all social media we have now it could be put out there pretty quick and get all of us DCI fans/alums a say. Personally, I would love to see how the fan vote differed, if at all, from the judges.

So, there it is. If this idea has been presented and discussed ad nauseam my apologies, again this is a first post for me.

JKT90

Welcome aboard. I like your idea and would support it. Why not email DCI too with the idea and let us know what their reply is.