Best drum tuning

Without question when it comes to drum tuning Cavilers have the best bass drum sound I have heard in at least 20 years!

Snares? SCV

Tenors? hmmm that one is a bit tougher. i like BD/Cadets in that department.

Who do you like?

• Like 1

I saw this video and Cavaliers basses are so deep and full of tone!

I used to hate hate hate Pearl Tenors until BD tuned them! I forgot to mention BD. ( I liked them on Dynasty Tenors the best though)

Diggin' BK's tenors. They are marching the first full shell (no-cut) tenors with scoops in drum corps since Regiment '91.

Best tuning to my ears is SCV, top to bottom. Rennick knows the concept of resonance and finding a drum's sweet spot for projection. Bluecoats get an honorable mention, too. Cadets tenors/basses are nice, but I think their snares are too boned/dry.

Least favorite sounds here: Cavies snares (thin, almost a metallic, pingy sound to me -- no body); BD generally (they sound crisp and lively up close, but at a distance is not a cohesive and musical battery ensemble sound to my ears -- just "bright").

• Like 2

I think there are a lot of good sounding drums this year. BD's snares sound much better than last year... they actually sound like Pearl snares. Cadets sound good in every section. SCV's got the typical Rennick sound, which is good if you like that style. Honorable mention to PR for switching from Dynasty to Pearl -- the drums actually project now and have body.

. Honorable mention to PR for switching from Dynasty to Pearl -- the drums actually project now and have body.

Again we see hate for Dynasty. Paul Rennick is proof that it is not the drum but the people tuning them. Pearl Drums are my favorite, but that does not mean I like the tuning of all lines that use them. BD, for example, has probably one of the worst sounds coming from their drums. Everything seems so dead, especially the basses.

I agree with Flammaster. The Cavies do have some sweet bass tuning this year, and so do Cadets.

• Like 1

Snares/SCV

Tenors/tuning that's a toss up, but I will say Cavies sound is projecting really well this season on the field and in recordings.

Basses/have to agree, again with the Cavies. That sound is deep, lush and beautiful. Those feature split parts sound killer.

I've always enjoyed Bluecoats' tuning, overall.

• Like 1

I think the Bluecoats have the best sounding drums this year. Snares are wet and short, quads are resonant and in the pitch range that I like, and basses are warm but punchy. Honorable mention goes to the Cadets, but the last video of theirs that I watched, the snares sounded much drier.

Other good sounding tuning schemes I've heard are from Madison and Blue Stars.

The Blue Devils' snares sound pretty good this year, though a bit higher than I like, but the quads are just dead.

SCV's snares sound great, but the basses and quads are a little bit lower pitched than I prefer.

Phantom went with indoor cut quads this year for some ungodly reason, and they don't pack the warmth that the full size shells do, but the basses and snares sound good.

The video of the Cavaliers that I watched, the snares had a thick sound, and the quads are a little reefed for my taste, but still sound good. Those bass drums sound fantastic though.

Crown's snare sound is thick, and the quads generally don't sound like they are in tune with one another in the videos I have seen.

Haven't heard much else.