Why are the East coast scores Lower?

I Know one can't compare scores from different shows but why are the east coast scores so much lower? I'm seeing about a 2 point differential .Thoughts?

I Know one can't compare scores from different shows but why are the east coast scores so much lower? I'm seeing about a 2 point differential .Thoughts?

It's a regional matter.

To the east - the west coast scorps are inflated thereby substantiating the east coast scorps are correct.....somehow.

To the west coast - it's the natural pecking order of scores. Look at the DCI results - they don't care about the other scorps.

So - it's the natural progression of the season year in and year out. Scorps are wrong until the west coast meets the east coast and inflation becomes real - at least in the sense of placement.

Change the year - more of the same.

The corps out east are mainly packed in the middle of the ratings with a couple of top-level outliers. The corps out west are either extremely high scorers or typically low-scorers, with nothing in the middle. Going from Mandarins and Pacific Crest to Crown and Blue Devils is a big leap in both design complexity and execution skill. So without a few middle-scoring corps in the mix, the gap the judges put in will have to be completely subjective, and will probably be smaller than it "should" be just because scores themselves are completely subjective, even the spreads, and only apply to a given show.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

While West Coast inflation is an annual legend in DCI, there is the best weather factor that usually helps the West Coast corps a greater use of practice time, travel hours, and ultimately performance readiness. Many Midwestern and Eastern corps have been daunted by the storms, tornadoes, humidity, and constant rain (is this Ireland or England, now that Cadets have the first DCI marcher for the Emerald Isle?)

However, after several viewings, I am amazed that some of the Eastern shows are scoring as high as they are. Surf is not as proficient or entertaining as last summer by show design. Bluecoats, Phantom, Crusaders, and Spirit all lag in show design comparable to recent past seasons. Cadets are schizo on their drill performance. Adagio was horrendous last night...even the towers were out of file on the fifty at the opening of the show. The corps that used to be known for its classy championship search for excellence is too worried about trumpet triplets and is being overscored in VA and Field execution; they already lack in GE as there is no emotional ebb and flow.

And this is from one of their fans who sponsors several Cadets. There part-time Visual technicians revolving in and out of tour like the swinging door of Macy's before Christmas is showing.

Crusaders will have later appeal as the Red will be revealed.

But Phantom, are we to see the dragon or just imagine it in the several forms which seem to mimic it's tale. Don Hill doesn't favor the buicks as much as JD Shaw did.

I also wonder about our actual judging panels. I am no fan of the short panel, especially with the alternating fifth caption to be judged. No consistency, no confidence, and no certitude the scores are real.

Beg to differ, but that's my story and I am sticking with it.

West Coast Inflation and Bob Barker dying are two of the greatest drum corps urban legends. Plus that four letter "M" word that several east coast corps are none to fond of. Gotta love summer time!

Cadets[...]the corps that used to be known for its classy championship search for excellence

??

While West Coast inflation is an annual legend in DCI, there is the best weather factor that usually helps the West Coast corps a greater use of practice time, travel hours, and ultimately performance readiness. Many Midwestern and Eastern corps have been daunted by the storms, tornadoes, humidity, and constant rain (is this Ireland or England, now that Cadets have the first DCI marcher for the Emerald Isle?)

However, after several viewings, I am amazed that some of the Eastern shows are scoring as high as they are. Surf is not as proficient or entertaining as last summer by show design. Bluecoats, Phantom, Crusaders, and Spirit all lag in show design comparable to recent past seasons. Cadets are schizo on their drill performance. Adagio was horrendous last night...even the towers were out of file on the fifty at the opening of the show. The corps that used to be known for its classy championship search for excellence is too worried about trumpet triplets and is being overscored in VA and Field execution; they already lack in GE as there is no emotional ebb and flow.

And this is from one of their fans who sponsors several Cadets. There part-time Visual technicians revolving in and out of tour like the swinging door of Macy's before Christmas is showing.

Crusaders will have later appeal as the Red will be revealed.

But Phantom, are we to see the dragon or just imagine it in the several forms which seem to mimic it's tale. Don Hill doesn't favor the buicks as much as JD Shaw did.

I also wonder about our actual judging panels. I am no fan of the short panel, especially with the alternating fifth caption to be judged. No consistency, no confidence, and no certitude the scores are real.

Beg to differ, but that's my story and I am sticking with it.

I saw the Cadets in Jackson on a very wet field misting and didn't see anything you mentioned. Perhaps a "bad" run last night. As of this morning, there are 33 staff members with the Cadets and changes have begun. I suspect they will be in the mix come Minneapolis.

Edited by newjerseycorpguy

Cadets have been scoring a point or more ahead of Phantom and Bluecoats in VA in the last 3 shows. So...