Dear Crown Brass Staff Peoples:

What do you think?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Sign this petition for the arc!!

• Yea I prefer sitting in the arc
    • Nah, circle it up

I think it's important to note that most of the corps that warm-up in a circle at a show do the same thing during rehearsals too. It just seems unrealistic to ask any hornline to "do something different" at a show, because they are so conditioned to think the opposite. You rehearse how you want to perform... In all aspects of that phrase. Also, if you see a hornline in a circle at a show warm up and say "oh boo" and walk away, think twice. Many hornlines go between the arc and circle depending on what they're working on. For example, a hornline might play all of their fundamental warm ups in a circle, but for spacing reasons they may go to an arc for running show excerpts.

But there is a pretty simple solution to your frustration... Go watch them practice! Most corps are within 2 hours of a show site the day of. So get in town early and drive to the practice. If you show up early and ask the brass staff if you can sit in the circle, I'm sure they would let you (if not, they are a little uptight... Don't show up wearing another corps shirt though).

• Like 2

Nope. My horse is pretty low to the ground. Yours seems pretty high though. Just look at your last reply to the OP.

Your high-horse is in stating that I have no 'right' to make suggestions to fans and no 'right' to question elitist mentality. And I glad that you mentioned my latest posting: just look at my last post. Justin made the claim that he does attend and support the stadium performances of ALL corps by stating that he will spend Fri and Sat in the lot then go into the stadium on Sunday to watch All of the Sunday stadium performances. Yes, he has the right to do that; but I also have the right to point out that he certainly is not watching All the corps stadium performances but just the stadium performances of the G7.

I know Crown has invited people not affiliated to the corps in the circle.

Also, I've never seen any corps ever say "come see us in the lot before the the real show" or something along those lines. I've seen corps post lot videos.. cause they can be cool. But I've never seen what Stu is saying.

Anyway. I like the lot, when they are actually playing real stuff. I could care less about most warm-ups though. Spent some time in the lot at Allentown on Friday night last year. It was pretty boring. It was fun hearing when they played some show stuff, or a corps song or space chords and whatever. But that is like 30 seconds of the warm-up. The rest of the half hour is lip slurs articulation exercises, breathing, air and valve and chill/focus time.

Well this has turned into a pissing match! I think in the end, there is nothing at all wrong with enjoying the lot, and if one corps isn't doing what you like, I imagine there are a lot of other choices. BTW there are full panels tonight and some exciting match ups.....

• Like 1

Boy, this post went over well, huh?

Your high-horse is in stating that I have no 'right' to make suggestions to fans and no 'right' to question elitist mentality. And I glad that you mentioned my latest posting: just look at my last post. Justin made the claim that he does attend and support the stadium performances of ALL corps by stating that he will spend Fri and Sat in the lot then go into the stadium on Sunday to watch All of the Sunday stadium performances. Yes, he has the right to do that; but I also have the right to point out that he certainly is not watching All the corps stadium performances but just the stadium performances of the G7.

No. Your post wasn't a "suggestion". You merely TOLD him what to do and then tried to make him feel like crap because you thought he doesn't go into the stadium to watch all the corps, then had the audacity to call him a "G7 elitist" because he doesn't do what YOU think he should do. To each his own is what I say. If he wants to watch the lot, let him. And yeah, you have a right to "suggest" he go into the stadium to watch a show, but it is certainly pretty crappy to try to call him out because he chooses to do what he wants, just like it was pretty crappy for him to start this thread about Crown. It's THEIR warmup and they can do what they want.

Well, it would certainly even the rehearsal playing field, wouldn't it?

Which might be a factor if the rehearsals were part of the scores given later that day.

I understand totally where your coming from, arcs are good for warm ups.However, circles make it easier for each member to hear each other. Great for tuning, volume control, weak sections, and great for instrument blending. When in high school and at Missouri State when we did warm ups we got in circles for all those reasons, but I personally liked it because I could see many more or my fellow marchers faces. I could always tell how serious we were and ready for battle(if you will)Looking into each others eyes, we knew our purpose and it was comforting to see everyone was just as serious and committed as me, knowing we were there for eachother.

As a former MM of the corps, I appreciate the circle more than the arch. When we circle it up, we are performing on for ourselves, staff, and Alumni. Now that I am an alum, it is something that only I get to experience. Something I shared with the alums when I marched, and now something I get to experience after my days of marching! I wish they would only do circle warm ups!