Whitewater, "As the tides turn."

2.7, to 1.2 with a gain in every head to head meeting, is as "closing the gap" as it gets. It shows a trend.

And I'd posit that with an MA score for Rosemont that sits more closely to the spread assigned by other judges in the caption, the real spread last night was closer to .3 or .4.

There is a gap that has been bridged in the last two weeks. They're both good shows, at different stages of development. Scouts feel like the content is a little on the low side (I find myself wandering, mentally, when I watch it), Cavaliers' selling of their show is still too tentative. But if I had to choose between needing more writing or needing more cleaning, I'll go the cleaning route every time.

Should be interesting to see what the numbers look like tonight.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

Look, I understand the historical significance of Whitewater and would never suggest not having a show there. However, what I can't understand is DCI continually jerking around Kalamazoo and the DCI show at Western MI University. I've attended every show they've held at WMU and can tell you the attendance has always been outstanding, certainly better than the photos shown here. Now there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for not continuing this show on an annual basis (stadium scheduling conflicts, for example) but this show has always drawn well, but DCI just keeps fiddling with having it one year and not the next. Just throwing it out there....

DCI's tour strategy makes little sense. DCI Midwest, DCI North and DCI Canada used to draw huge crowds. It's a straight shot from Whitewater to Pontiac to Hamilton. Plus the weather is cooler. Soon, the corps will head south during the hottest month of the hottest year in decades...

If you live in NYC, you can drive 2 hours to Allentown. Otherwise, no DCI for you.

DCI's tour strategy makes little sense. DCI Midwest, DCI North and DCI Canada used to draw huge crowds. It's a straight shot from Whitewater to Pontiac to Hamilton. Plus the weather is cooler. Soon, the corps will head south during the hottest month of the hottest year in decades...

If you live in NYC, you can drive 2 hours to Allentown. Otherwise, no DCI for you.

Hey Vince, speaking of NYC, have you marked Macy's parade 2014 on your calendar as the date to slip the "Super Man Suit" on one more time?

Hey Vince, speaking of NYC, have you marked Macy's parade 2014 on your calendar as the date to slip the "Super Man Suit" on one more time?

I heard a rumor Scouts were coming to town. Is this an alumni participation event? I have the clothes and the instrument, though none has been used in quite some time.

Not for nothing, but I thought that the whole "Madison" thing was "F the scores, as long as the crowd is entertained!!!!" Wasn't that the "Stewart Way"

Seriously, I LOVE Madison's show this year. They are going to make Finals. They are going to entertain the hell out of crowds all year long. Most importantly, the men are going to have an amazing summer. Why do any scores matter, if all of the above happens?

Really?

Scott has been involved with the Scouts forEVER, and this is the thing that many contend caused them to drop out of finals and have to rebuild.

I LOVE the Scouts organization. I've lived in Madison, WI during their down years ( strangely enough many people in the community AREN'T familiar with them).

That USED to (sorta, kinda) be the mantra back in "the day", but it hasn't been so for a very long time now. Just sayin' let's let that urban legend die...

The Scouts are for crowd entertainment, but they also need to be competitive in order to survive, just like every other corps. music.gif

Edited by jjeffeory

I kinda figured that was the case, especially since almost every corps talks about doing their best and let the scores fall where they may. I just think it's kinda ironic that so many Madison fans are getting SO worked up over scoring in June. Of course you want your team to "win", but I just think that the corps has been doing quite well lately after quite a few years of disappointments, both regarding scoring/placement and the product on the field. I would argue that this year is better than last, which was better than 2011, but all three were VERY entertaining. The corps average placement since 2000 has been 10.5, and they have been out of finals 3 times in that span. They are on pace to beat that average for the 4th year in a row this year.

I realize that for their fans, perhaps the improvement seems slow, but the top 12 is FAR better, top to bottom (IMO) than it ever has been. This year's corps will make finals, and I am fairly sure that they will be single-digits, maybe even top 6. So, maybe some of the folks here can just chill a bit and enjoy the ride?

• Like 1

I realize that for their fans, perhaps the improvement seems slow, but the top 12 is FAR better, top to bottom (IMO) than it ever has been. This year's corps will make finals, and I am fairly sure that they will be single-digits, maybe even top 6. So, maybe some of the folks here can just chill a bit and enjoy the ride?

I believe that they have a chance for top 5. Currently there are several corps with a chance for that 5th: Phantom Regiment, Bluecoats, Cavaliers, Madison Scouts,

Some of them are going to be disappointed.

I believe that the 4th spot may also be an outside possibility, but unlikely.

Madison is a much improved corps, and they will be improved each year, much like Star in the past and most recently Carolina Crown. As long as Madison can fund raise, they'll get better with the current team, imho.

I heard a rumor Scouts were coming to town. Is this an alumni participation event? I have the clothes and the instrument, though none has been used in quite some time.

It's more than a rumor...All current Scouts and "alumni" have been invited to participate together as one unit to march in the 2014 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It's to early to know details regarding atire, etc, but mark the date!

WRONG ABOUT CAVIES OVERTAKING SCOUTS...NO WAY.

While I haven't seen The Cavaliers show yet, I have heard some pretty good things. Why can't it be possible? The Cavaliers were able to come back from being in 2010. I think when corps end up doing better than what a lot of people expect them to do is an awesome and interesting journey.

Like I said before, I was clearly wrong about last season... but I can also tell they are trying to get back to what they used to be and it might take some time. Heck, score wise they are already WAY better than last year. I say let them try there best and lets see if they can make something awesome happen come finals.