Crown's 2013 show "E=mc2"

I'd usually agree but this show is so bad ssa that I don't really care what the story line is. I'm completely engaged from start to finish and the horn line makes me feel like it's 1995 again. Watching them live was amazing. It was like I had been fed for the first time in years. My soul starved to hear and see amazing drum corps and it was satisfied.

For the record, I dig the drum book too.

If you're wondering if you should or shouldn't go to a show where Crown is performing you need to go or you'll regret it forever. It really is that good.

As I said, I prefer shows with an easy to understand story or theme, but I agree with your highlighed statement. I saw them in Denver last night...it's a winner!

Just no pleasing drum corps fans it seems. If people write an easy to understand, simple show; people call it pandering and too simple. If they write a complicated show that some research or prior knowledge can help, then it's elitist and shouldn't be so hard for the average fan to "get". I think Crown's show is perfectly okay just by itself. My parents went to a show with me, and were blown away by Crown even doing no prior research. They just sat in the stands and said it was their favorite show. I had done a bit of work and listening before the show, so caught a lot of the underlying layers to their show as well. That's what makes it good. You don't have to do any homework beforehand, but it helps get a deeper understanding.

I wonder how many people go to the opera, symphony, etc. and come out and say - "Well - that should have been clearly explained in the time-frame allotted."

Probably most of them, except those who had done their homework. But people have some notion of opera, symphony, etc even if they'd never been before, and only those inspired enough will go back a second, third, fourth time to hear the same piece again, or by another performer, several times in order that each becomes more clear. Much the same reason that I order DVDs to watch them over and over again knowing that shows "mature" on me over time.

But, the vast majority of people don't have any idea what drum corps IS, let alone what goes on. Not only is it new and unknown, it's a significant contribution of time and money to attend. Especially for a family. To ask them to continue to attend after they didn't enjoy the entertainment, or didn't get the point of the competition, or - whatever - is asking a lot. Drum corps has two strikes against it where-as most of the other arts do have, at least, familiarity.

I question whether drum corps can afford to follow the symphonic model that says "It may take a long time before you get it" when, in itself, that model is failing symphonies around the world. I rather think that it would be more likely a better approach to make each show fulfilling even without having to read a libretto and study the source music in order to get the point.

If a corps names their show E=MC2 I would expect the show to be about science, computers, physics, and technology, and Crown's show does that. But if they did a show with music about balloons, beaches, and bunnies I'd likely be confused and, thus, less likely to come back a second time.

Maybe if a corps is doing a show with no theme at all they should state that in their description. "We're not telling a story or painting a theme. We're just playing a bunch of tunes we like while we march, and we hope you like them, too." It's a long title, but it's better than advertising one title theme and delivering something else and increasing the odds that fans leave confused.

Probably could have said that in a lot less sentences. :blink:/>

• Like 3

Just no pleasing drum corps fans it seems. If people write an easy to understand, simple show; people call it pandering and too simple. If they write a complicated show that some research or prior knowledge can help, then it's elitist and shouldn't be so hard for the average fan to "get". I think Crown's show is perfectly okay just by itself. My parents went to a show with me, and were blown away by Crown even doing no prior research. They just sat in the stands and said it was their favorite show. I had done a bit of work and listening before the show, so caught a lot of the underlying layers to their show as well. That's what makes it good. You don't have to do any homework beforehand, but it helps get a deeper understanding.

Yes, fans are persnickity. But then someone writes a show like Angels & Demons. Full of images, and visuals, and incredible music that I didn't need to "get" by anything other than its name. I needed no prior knowledge of the subject in order to understand their imagery or theme. Everything about the show was familiar even if I'd never seen a drum corps show prior in my life. Oh, and it triumphed in the judge's boxes as well, so those demanding technical excellence were saturated, too.

That is but one example of many but, regardless, we need more of those. And we fans will always strive for that. All enjoyment - no work.

• Like 2

Yes, fans are persnickity. But then someone writes a show like Angels & Demons. Full of images, and visuals, and incredible music that I didn't need to "get" by anything other than its name. I needed no prior knowledge of the subject in order to understand their imagery or theme. Everything about the show was familiar even if I'd never seen a drum corps show prior in my life. Oh, and it triumphed in the judge's boxes as well, so those demanding technical excellence were saturated, too.

That is but one example of many but, regardless, we need more of those. And we fans will always strive for that. All enjoyment - no work.

Does Crown's show really need work before hand? Does every fan need to do the homework before going to watch it? I doubt it. It helps a bit to get some of the less obvious stuff. But for a normal fan who just sits in the stands and reads the program, Crown's show will still be an amazing mix of brass, drill, percussion, and guard. I've gotten more positive comments about their show from non drum corps nerd people than from on here, which means it is reaching people without the research.

• Like 4

To ask them to continue to attend after they didn't enjoy the entertainment, or didn't get the point of the competition, or - whatever - is asking a lot.

Although this statement may be true in general, I have seen no reason to believe that Crown's show is driving away new fans. Or connecting with them less than most other shows.

You wouldn't need to do outside research or have prior knowledge to enjoy a show telling the story of Angels/Demons/good/bad/whatever -- not even hypothetically -- because that story is as old as civilization and has seeped into literally everything. So, yes, it was entertaining, but given that the story of good and evil is something that still propels much (all?) of modern culture, I'm not sure it takes so much to make that narrative compelling to a wide audience. Maybe it's just me. As much as the Cadets are to be commended for invigorating a dead horse (somewhat; I'm not crazy about that show, tbh), I'm not sure it's fair to compare that theme with much of what corps like BD, CC, Cavs, SCV and others (including the Cadets in other years) are doing when they try to give us themes that are less tried-and-true.

I think CC in particular is to be commended for having themes that are both original and entertaining. That's incredibly difficult to do.

• Like 3

Does Crown's show really need work before hand? Does every fan need to do the homework before going to watch it? I doubt it. It helps a bit to get some of the less obvious stuff. But for a normal fan who just sits in the stands and reads the program, Crown's show will still be an amazing mix of brass, drill, percussion, and guard. I've gotten more positive comments about their show from non drum corps nerd people than from on here, which means it is reaching people without the research.

Exactly. Crown's show has everything you would expect from an entertaining drum corps show. Plus, it is also a deeply rich sophisticated show that rewards repeat viewing and research of the source material.

If corps need to play popular music to be successful, then they would alienate fans like me. The idea that playing pops will attract a larger audience is a little silly, if you ask me. It costs way too much money for ordinary people to go to a show to watch a bunch of show tunes and pep band music. People that aren't already invested in the activity are not going to do that.

Playing popular music isn't necessarily bad. SCV is playing popular music this year, and it is my clear favorite this year. But thinking that playing pops will attract the masses is a little delusional. If the goal is to attract new fans, I actually think playing more sophisticated shows is a better idea. The people that are interested in sophisticated art, dance, and music will set aside the "nerd" factor that stigmatizes the marching arts. The general public is a lot less likely to do that, in my opinion, even if corps are playing Jay-Z or Radiohead.

• Like 1

You wouldn't need to do outside research or have prior knowledge to enjoy a show telling the story of Angels/Demons/good/bad/whatever -- not even hypothetically -- because that story is as old as civilization and has seeped into literally everything. So, yes, it was entertaining, but given that the story of good and evil is something that still propels much (all?) of modern culture, I'm not sure it takes so much to make that narrative compelling to a wide audience. Maybe it's just me. As much as the Cadets are to be commended for invigorating a dead horse (somewhat; I'm not crazy about that show, tbh), I'm not sure it's fair to compare that theme with much of what corps like BD, CC, Cavs, SCV and others (including the Cadets in other years) are doing when they try to give us themes that are less tried-and-true.

I think CC in particular is to be commended for having themes that are both original and entertaining. That's incredibly difficult to do.

I'm not a huge fan of Angels and Demons either. Do we have any evidence that that show drew new fans to drum corps? I remember taking my girlfriend, who had previously had no exposure to drum corps, to watch semifinals at a theater a few years back. She has spent her whole life playing classical music (she is a violinist). Her favorite show was the Bartok show SCV had done. The next year she was excited to see a live show, so we went to the show in Salem. Cadets were there playing Angels and Demons. She thought it was fine, but it didn't have the impact that SCV's show the previous year did. And yet I hear time after time that SCV's Bartok show was not "fan friendly" and wouldn't attract new people.

Of course my girlfriend was unique in that she had a sophisticated background in classical music, but I would posit that this demographic is more likely to become drum corps fans than your ordinary person off the street. I think trying to go after the ordinary Joe Schmoe is a bad idea. Go after the people that already have a predisposition to like good music.

Edited by jasgre2000