Michigan City

Scouts also won in percussion again.

• Like 2

Scouts better hope to hang on to 10th.

10th? They're riding 7th right now, I doubt they're dropping further than 9th this year if they drop at all. The Cavaliers are in a similar spot. They had a lot of variability in where their show could end up at the end of the season, but the bottom half of that in my mind has disappeared in the last two days.

• Like 1

The scouts have an exciting show, but they have no demand while playing on the move. Cavaliers will ride the name, but the horn line should be in 11th or 12th right now. Oh my god lead baritone and trumpet.... Blend your sounds!!! The Blue Stars are good and they have a lot of depth and simultaneous responsibilities, so I think they will finish strong!! Same with SoA... Nobody gives them enough credit....the staff has been there for 3 or 4 years and the shows keep getting better.... I see them in 8th or 9th to end the season!! Exciting year!!

• Like 3

Well, where has the the comfortable spread gone that Madison has had over the Cavies..."POOOOOF"! Some real hungry climbers below the Scouts! What does Madison have in the tank? Is there a stratagy? Big changes in the works? This Madison alumni can only hope and pray that we havent seen anything yet from the Men of Madison in regards to magic up the sleave!

White Spats & Belts? The Boys just dont look right without them.

• Like 2

10th? They're riding 7th right now, I doubt they're dropping further than 9th this year if they drop at all. The Cavaliers are in a similar spot. They had a lot of variability in where their show could end up at the end of the season, but the bottom half of that in my mind has disappeared in the last two days.

Scouts will end up between 6 and 8 when it's all said and done. The corps that should be concerned are blue coats and phantom. As I stated two years ago Scouts are an organization that is on the move up again and whether we like them or not, they are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the future again.

• Like 1

White Spats & Belts? The Boys just dont look right without them.

I suspect the staff realized that white spats against a dark uniform enhance and magnify every little marching error. perhaps more so than any other potential giveaway of tenths.

The scouts have an exciting show, but they have no demand while playing on the move.

laughing.gif You must be smoking some of that medical grade weed bro!

• Like 3

My first show of the year so just a quick run down

Colt Cadets – nice show, well written to them, a lot to clean but you can tell they are really working on individual technique, teaching them how to march so well done

Legends – another show that I thought was well written for the corps, not sure if there was a story I was suppose to catch but the guy with a lantern was a nice effect that also helped focus the drill. The members seemed to really be into the show and enjoy preforming, couldn’t help but think – they are the future of the world class corps as they all looked hooked and really into being on the field – not always the case with Open Class

Blue Stars – started with some awkward recorded music, they stood in the set just waiting, music ends and they set a pose and then start – start / stop / start again equals no flow. I didn’t get the reason or effect from the taped into. They don’t seem to be getting the same talent level they were getting just a few years ago. Their show is slick as a big package but lack effects. Drums and guard were strong for them; brass needs a lot of work. Tons of cleaning in this show left, some very sloppy marching. They didn’t seem to dress forms at all, several drill stick outs. Too much of the guard seems individually focused.

Crossmen – I would have had them well in front of Blue Stars; they are a lot further along with preforming their show. Another corps that seems to start and stop then starts again – they had the megaphone protesters, then nothing and then finally started the show. Brass sounded nice, drill and drums need more beef. Lots of effect built into the drill was already being achieved. Where Blue Stars need to clean, Crossmen need to add (and clean). I enjoyed this show more than Blue Stars, which had a more polished but flatter design and lacked the punch and hooks of the Crossmen’s show

Intermission or how I became a center section refuge – had to bail from the seats, it was too uncomfortable, too tight. I was sitting angled, hip-to-hip, knees in my back. Not a complaint, Cavies run great show. It was my choice to move and since it’s a small stadium, going to the outside wasn’t that big of a deal.

Spirit – continued with the theme of not very effective recorded intro music that stalls their start. Let’s stands around and wait for the tape to finish is a bad design trend that needs to end. This show felt very part 2 to last years show. I think I liked last years’ show better. It’s a nice show with some good pop. Brass is their strength. Some of their big forms, drill need a lot of cleaning. Once they march the ensemble better, they’ll get a nice score bounce, have a lot more effect as it’s built in but not there yet. Not being a guard watcher, I noticed their guard as not being well written to the show with their work. Just an opinion but an example – at the start of Sweet Georgia, the guard in front does a dance that doesn’t go with the music at all…then the guard in the back picks up a dance that fits far better with the music but is drown out by the group in front on flags. Stuff like this seemed to be through out their show. Their drums need beef and cleaning but they won the award for finally figuring out how to utilize contras during the durring drum solo

Madison – best corps by far tonight, show and performance. They had a real presence about them and of all the shows tonight, this is the one I want to see again. Their show was so Madison, I’m surprised that haven’t already done it. Drums were good. Guard needs more work, more GE moments on equipment. Horns are solid, good mello parts, a bit more demand would be nice but only as an academic, scoring point grab not because they are lacking. Here is the surprising thing to me, a cold hearted, jaded cow. My non-drum corps friend that attended with me sniffled when the signing started and wiped tears at the end of their show, so they got him with some emotional GE there. Often when I see people on DCP talking about getting misty-eyed during shows I figure it’s hype or a greater connection to the show like their kid marched in it. Neither was the case here so well done Madison

Cavies – Black robes look dirty, not as effective as I would have thought. They are now trying to achieve their visual numbers with props that still need some cleaning. A few good drill moments but…they use to build effect with their entire drill and now they move from effect to effect relying on a prop for the impact with a fair amount of meandering in between…with this new visual approach, they need to change their musical approach too. Guard seemed a bit sloppy, the neon orange flags are very exposed and they never synched- up (and they had at least 2 flags with the orange). I need to see this show again, maybe I missed something but I don’t think I did. It just kind of went along. It’s not a bad show. I enjoyed it and didn’t hate it or cringe like last year. Overall, it seemed very compressed in tone, dynamics, excitement and GE.

Cowtown’s score

Colt Cadets - 55

Legends - 58.5

Blue Stars - 69

Crossmen – 71

Spirit -73

Cavies – 75

Madison - 77

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 5

laughing.gif You must be smoking some of that medical grade weed bro!

Totally agree! They move and play some very difficult licks!!! They might not have done this in recent past. But, that excuse should no longer used against them.

• Like 1