Delightful Dekalb

Why? Same argument was made as to why Cavies would pass the Scouts. The spreads have been shrinking with those above. Bluecoats were like 2.5-3 points ahead of the Scouts at the first head-to-head. That's down to a little over a point.

Just my own personal opinion. I just can't see the show the Bluecoats have this year dropping at all. All due respect to the Scouts though, as they have a tremendous show this year as well, but with the sound Bluecoats' brass puts out there and the way their percussion plays, I can't see them falling.

• Like 1

Didn't we see it in 2009, when what would have been a 2nd place corps (HNC) had a big finals night battery problem halfway through and dropped them to 7th in drums? Granted, there could have been other problems to make it a worse-than-normal performance, but they were pretty steady at 3rd in drums I think.

yup

Just a small point and not intended to be snarky. "One Voice" is not opera. It's a Barry Manilow tune. (I heard him absolutely kill with it last year. Awesome!). The two kids singing have well trained voices, but opera it ain't. Anyway, I like it. I just wish there were more tunes. In Cinicinnati a couple of weeks ago, Cadets did "Swing, Swing, Swing," and it was just about the best encore ever!

• Like 2

Just a small point and not intended to be snarky. "One Voice" is not opera. It's a Barry Manilow tune. (I heard him absolutely kill with it last year. Awesome!). The two kids singing have well trained voices, but opera it ain't. Anyway, I like it. I just wish there were more tunes. In Cinicinnati a couple of weeks ago, Cadets did "Swing, Swing, Swing," and it was just about the best encore ever!

Can't you just imagine the planning meeting...

(a dimly-lit room with seven directors sitting at a table)

G2: Guys, we need an awesome encore for the Music In *cough cough* Tour of Champions shows this year. Something that really proves We Are The Show.

G1: Well, we'll have the best brass lines in the world standing on the field, and the Cavies too...

G2: I know! Let's sing some Barry Manilow

G3-7: ???

G2: I love Barry Manilow!

(long pause, no one will look his fellows in the eye)

G6: I think we have some voice majors in the hornline this year...

• Like 9

Did anyone else notice how crazy the percussion judge was running around the field. At times I noticed he even got in the way of the corps. Everyone in my group noticed it. Very annoying.

Did anyone else notice how crazy the percussion judge was running around the field. At times I noticed he even got in the way of the corps. Everyone in my group noticed it. Very annoying.

A field judge should be running with the battery to get real reads. Most of them do vs a brass guy who may walk the front line listening to the players individually.

Can't you just imagine the planning meeting...

(a dimly-lit room with seven directors sitting at a table)

G2: Guys, we need an awesome encore for the Music In *cough cough* Tour of Champions shows this year. Something that really proves We Are The Show.

G1: Well, we'll have the best brass lines in the world standing on the field, and the Cavies too...

G2: I know! Let's sing some Barry Manilow

G2: I love Barry Manilow!

(long pause, no one will look his fellows in the eye)

G6: I think we have some voice majors in the hornline this year...

definitely laughed out loud at that :lol:

Since I got home late last night and crashed and then up early to work. I thought tonight I'd add my 2cents in for my review of last nights TOC in Dekalb.

Huskie Stadium - at first when we entered the stadium they required two members in my group to discard their beverage before entering the building. I was like what? its almost 90 and you are gonna make everyone dump their drinks? Upon our 2nd attempt that was corrected and people were allowed to bring in beverages. This is one confusing stadium to get around in thou but I'm sure it's better then the smaller venue previous years in Rockford. We sat near the 50 yard line about 17 rows up. I say it was right in the brass blast zone. :thumbup: Thou not much for seeing the drill.

TOC pre-show - Did anyone hear what they were talking about on the field? Exactly! That was the worse I thought. I did enjoy the smaller ensemble's playing for the crowd.

Blue Devils - I knew watching this show numerous times on the Fan network I wasn't a huge fan of their music selection this year. A friend of mine was with me and he's a music teacher and he was much looking forward to hearing the Rite of Spring. But after the performance he was disappointed that much of the original music seemed not to make it to the field. Those poles! oh those poles... that have to me the weakest part of this show. It came across so cluttered on the field. Way to much a distraction for me. In fact so much a distraction I didn't even see the snare and color guard crash or go down. Yikes...sorry not my favorite this year.

Bluecoats - This show is so much better live in person then watching it over the internet. But overall its missing what I usually enjoyed about Bluecoats. There was no grab me song that pulled me. Last year it was the KA love song that really pulled me. The beginning statement was awesome thou.. it helped sitting in the blast zone thou but awesome sound at times. One comment from my sister n law was the color guard uniforms. They were and are pretty boring and bland. I can see why they choose what they did but IMO didn't come across good.

Crown - Yes I am a big Crown fan and have been excited for weeks to finally see this show in person. I love how Crown can take music and turn it into something I can hum in my head hours after. That brass line is outstanding! I wish I would of been up higher cause at our angle you couldn't see much of the drill in any of the corps. The only complaint I had was the narrative during the ballad. At times I couldn't even hear what he was saying. Thou that could be a good thing. If they took that out I think many of us would be fine. I still think thou there is a new ending to the show coming.

Intermission - WAY TO LONG!

SCV - Awesome show again SCV! We all really enjoyed this program as did the audience! Of course it helps to play music majority of us love to hear from a Corps! I hope they sneak into the top 3!

Cadets - The first comment from my niece was. "It looks like a circus coming on the field". LOL I saw this show a few weeks ago near Rockford so they have really come along good in a few weeks. At times I felt sorry for some of the members who have to push those huge cubes around. One member at one point was having issues with one of the wheels and you could see them struggling to maneuver it around the field. I sure hope one of those wheels don't lock up during finals. Overall we all felt those cubes were again very distracting.

Cavaliers - Oh how I miss the cavaliers of a few years ago. Can I say Where is my Rifle? The only music I liked was that from Star trek. The guard was very messy at times except for the final flag work which was their best moment. Those black robes during the beginning make them and the drill look very dirty as well. I think everyone around us didn't like em. One thing every brass player should do is make sure your mouth piece is secure! I cringed when I saw a brass players mouth piece fall out and land in the grass. OUCH.

Phantom - After having years of shows where the music really pulled me in, this year is clearly lacking that aspect for me. Except for Nimrod! Any brass line that plays that piece will win me over. Love it, but the rest of the show just falls flat to me. Sorry my Phantom.

Next up for me: DCI ATLANTA!

• Like 1

Was at the show yesterday, and I have to admit that even though I am one of those that is VERY disappointed that Blue Devils have drifted into their "weird" phase...I didn't think their show was all that weird this year after all. I actually like it a lot more compared to their recent offerings. There is a lot more jazz-ish music this year that I can wrap my brain and ears around and appreciate, so for me that's a good thing! Their show is noticeably dirty in spots though (very uncharacteristic for BD), both visually and musically, and if they can clean it enough, they should be in contention to the very end.

Crown blew me away. I saw some of the early season videos on YouTube and liked the show right from the start, but wow do they sound solid! Their horn line is amazing, and what an incredibly difficult book! I love the part after the opener is done where they have their "park and show off their virtuosity" section - except they aren't parked - they're actually moving during it! Kudos to them for an amazing show and season this year. By all indications so far, this should be their year (although I hope I didn't just jinx them by saying that :)

I can't forget Cadets either. Very intense sound coming out of their horn line this year. Love their show, and they should also be in the mix until the end as well.

Just my $.02...

• Like 3