Cadets Audience Accessibility

You make it sound like this is a new concept for drum corps. As for the Cadets, it seems like plenty of fans find them entertaining and enjoyable this season. They're not ALL sitting on the 50 up in the press box.

This whole thing is so silly. I've watched so many shows over the years from many different vantage points. If the only seats I can get are down low and off to the side, I accept the fact that there will be aspects of the performance I won't get to fully appreciate (like the DRILL, namely). I know I can't get the big picture to better realize how all the parts fit together, and that's fine. I deal with it and get to appreciate lots of other aspects of the performance the best I can. That's drum corps. But people have to remember, this is a competition. I know everyone wants to be entertained, but they also want to know who wins. Even the folks who say they don't care about the scores pay attention to them (and sometimes obsess over them and complain the loudest when things don't go their way). Every drum corps wants their show to look great from the press box. That's why they clean drill at rehearsal from high up on the 50, whether on a scaffolding or in a press box. The Cadets are no exception.

I think you're saying the fans are ok with the GE judge focus, because they accept and are excited by the sporting aspect. Is this right?

I agree in part, but having GE judges sit where actual fans sit should result in better shows for everyone. I suspect the reason they sit in the pressbox has more to do with them talking during performances. That would be a drag for the nearby fans. And also the, um, risks involved. Maybe it's better the way it is.

You make it sound like this is a new concept for drum corps. As for the Cadets, it seems like plenty of fans find them entertaining and enjoyable this season. They're not ALL sitting on the 50 up in the press box.

This whole thing is so silly. I've watched so many shows over the years from many different vantage points. If the only seats I can get are down low and off to the side, I accept the fact that there will be aspects of the performance I won't get to fully appreciate (like the DRILL, namely). I know I can't get the big picture to better realize how all the parts fit together, and that's fine. I deal with it and get to appreciate lots of other aspects of the performance the best I can. That's drum corps. But people have to remember, this is a competition. I know everyone wants to be entertained, but they also want to know who wins. Even the folks who say they don't care about the scores pay attention to them (and sometimes obsess over them and complain the loudest when things don't go their way). Every drum corps wants their show to look great from the press box. That's why they clean drill at rehearsal from high up on the 50, whether on a scaffolding or in a press box. The Cadets are no exception.

Thank you. I thought I was the only one thinking what a whiney thread this is. Pay the money and sit up high on the 50 for the one show a year you go to or stop whining that your view was blocked because you wanted the Walmart discount tickets.

• Like 1

The poster didn't give us anything to chew on; i.e his/her reasoning. A cardinal sin. smile.gif

Okay, fair enough.

So, I was thinking about writing a long post about why I feel the Cadets show is disappointing, but then another post got it right on the money, so I decided to paraphrase it. Put simply, its just not MY cup of tea.

Like I stated to start out my post "For me..."

When Blue Devils won in 09,10, and 12 a lot of people were thinking, "but why? how?". That's how I'll feel this year if Cadets win.

Edited by How_Will_It_End?

Okay, fair enough.

So, I was thinking about writing a long post about why I feel the Cadets show is disappointing, but then another post got it right on the money, so I decided to paraphrase it. Put simply, its just not MY cup of tea.

Like I stated to start out my post "For me..."

When Blue Devils won in 09,10, and 12 a lot of people were thinking, "but why? how?". That's how I'll feel this year if Cadets win.

I can appreciate that the show might not be your cup of tea, and I can appreciate how those BD shows you mentioned might not be for everybody. But I cannot for the life of me imagine how someone could genuinely not understand, at least partially, why those BD corps won, or why this Cadets corps might win when they are so freaking GOOD at what they do. Like REALLY REALLY REALLY good. Even if you don't care for the Cadets show, one has to admit that this is one extremely good drum corps from a performance standpoint, across all captions.

I can appreciate that the show might not be your cup of tea, and I can appreciate how those BD shows you mentioned might not be for everybody. But I cannot for the life of me imagine how someone could genuinely not understand, at least partially, why those BD corps won, or why this Cadets corps might win when they are so freaking GOOD at what they do. Like REALLY REALLY REALLY good. Even if you don't care for the Cadets show, one has to admit that this is one extremely good drum corps from a performance standpoint, across all captions.

Yeah but you say that as if it's a bad thing.

think about, if everyone agreed on everything, and everyone had the same opinions the world would be such a dull boring place.

• Like 1

I think you missed my point.

The thing is, we're all talking about design, and you're talking about execution.

Edited by How_Will_It_End?
  • Like 1

Thank you. I thought I was the only one thinking what a whiney thread this is. Pay the money and sit up high on the 50 for the one show a year you go to or stop whining that your view was blocked because you wanted the Walmart discount tickets.

Well now that's perfectly logical. The third or so of every audience at every show that has an obstructed view (by design) just needs to buy better tickets. Problem solved. Hear that future audiences?

:rolleyes:

maybe the designers WANTED your view blocked in certain segments - to focus you where they wanted the focus to be

No - that's IMPOSSIBLE you say? :rolleyes:

When it comes to Cadets I've learned EONS ago that some people will ALWAYS find something to complain about.

• Like 2

I may be the only one, buuuuut I think not being able to see some of the performers at certain times makes their movement OUT from behind them visually interesting.

I saw Lion King on Broadway and the Elephant Graveyard had a huge prop right in the middle... the action moved in and around it, giving the action a really neat depth.