For some reason I keep wondering about the title choice...One Voice? Is there some significance? Why this tune? The unity of the G7? The combination of vocal and brass and flags? Starts with a lone voice and grows? Maybe somebody just thought...hmm...drum corps...Barry Manilow! Of Course!

Yes, I agree. Let's go in the way back machine and look at Gibbs' original proposal for the TOC shows. He promised, direct quote:

• Relevance, Quality, Value and Entertainment
  • Fan engagement and participation
  • Seamless integration of performance events
  • Fast and tight show
  • Fully Produced event beginning to end. No time not accounted for.

With following pages about instant encores, warm up zones, small ensembles, blah blah blah. Is there any dispute that zero, zip, nada of this has been realized by the TOC? The only part that has been achieved is $ the G7 do not need to split with others.

The 2013 finale is symptomatic of the problems: it's actually less entertaining than the encore one of the top corps would provide if you went to a regular DCI show. I mean, what would you rather hear? The Cadets wailing away on Swing Swing Swing and Rocky Point, or two college vocalists singing Manilow with an over-large backup ensemble?

Boy do I agree with that. While she had a nice voice, it was funny to me how they turned up the PA to have the crowd be able to hear both of them over all the horns!?!?! Yet we couldn't hear the MC? really? As for the encore, I was pretty ######. If they had done that, then rolled into another few songs without the kids singing that would have been pretty sweet. But that was it. Kinda like a quick Grand Finale on a short fireworks show on the 4th of July. That's it????? C'mon....FAIL. Here I was telling my girlfriend all week how BA the encore would be, letting her listen to America the Beautiful and O Canada from the 98 finals CD...which she thought was awesome. and then we get that...:rock:/>

Madison's encore in Muscatine on Thursday blew this one out of the water...period.

• Like 2

I don't blame the G7 for trying something new with the voice encore. Maybe it wasn't a success... And they didn't play a drum corps classic in a traditional way... So what? They tried something new, good for them... Why are ppl so anti-experimentation? You need to fail in order to succeed.

• Like 5

I'm not anti experimentation, I'm just anti suck! I don't think they understand their "failure" and therefore don't think it will lead to any success. $50 + is alot to pay to be a lab rat! Sometimes, the more you claim to have all the answers the less room you are given for experimentation and failure.

• Like 3

I think they need to add a martini bar to the TOC shows. That would make it better.

• Like 1

I don't blame the G7 for trying something new with the voice encore. Maybe it wasn't a success... And they didn't play a drum corps classic in a traditional way... So what? They tried something new, good for them... Why are ppl so anti-experimentation? You need to fail in order to succeed.

Get that. MY issue is the first year TOC came out it was better, it's consistently been going downhill. I won't be able to make any more shows this year so TOC in Dekalb was my last show of the year. For me, it was my finals. (i'm guessing i'm not the only one in the boat here) Close too, almost the top 7 corps, not to bad.

But the pre/post show fun just wasn't there this year like years past. Sure C/C came out and did a small ensemble, then SCV's cymbal line tried something new called "train wreck" and everyone in the crowd expected it to end with violent crashes, which didn't happen. Cadets Bass Drum Line, kinda cool, Phantom's horn ensemble. and a Color Guard, Phantom again i think. That was it. In the past there were 2 or three shows going on behind the stadium and a new one inside the stadium every few min...non stop action. I remember a BD Snare Drummer doing his I&E solo, a Contra player from Crown doing the same thing. at least 5 ensembles...and this was all INSIDE the Stadium. Then for the National Anthem you had a SCV SOP and Snare Drummer with a large old school snare drum along with a small contingent of color guard holding the flag while they played the National Anthem...so much emotion! The snare drummer walking all slow towards the stands doing a constant roll...the SOP kinda half facing the crowd echoing off everything, lots of ambience. This year the NIU band played the NA, really? zero emotion..."ok let's play it quick and get off the field." The TOC 2 years ago was one of the coolest shows I had been to in a while, that's why I was so excited this year...and so let down.

Try something new?? Knock yourself out. Take away performances, not cool. Who doesn't want to sit through a 20 min encore?? Nothing cooler than 300 or more horns blasting at once. So you have to take time away from practice, who cares, you're the G7, the best, shouldn't you be able to handle it??

How much of the gate does DCI get from the TOC? I noticed that the Allentown week end, the tickets cost more on Sunday for the TOC show than for the Eastern Classic on Friday and Saturday. I wonder if anyone is going (and paying) for all 3 shows.

I would bet they get nothing, except perhaps whatever overhead they take from judges' fees and the revenue from the DCI souvie booth. In 2011 and 2012 when DCI ran these shows, they lost money for DCI. This year, MIMPA, Inc. is running the shows, based on claims from the G7.

I would bet they get nothing, except perhaps whatever overhead they take from judges' fees and the revenue from the DCI souvie booth. In 2011 and 2012 when DCI ran these shows, they lost money for DCI. This year, MIMPA, Inc. is running the shows, based on claims from the G7.

Last I heard, MIMPA was shelved for this year with the promise to leave it shelved until the series was proven effective or not, and in return for DCI providing the logistics and marketing of the TOC shows.

I believe DCI is still producing these shows and sharing in the gate under the same terms that were used in prior years.

What happens to MIMPA at the end of this season, as well as the TOC series and DCI's participation, is for another discussion.

Someone with more current info can correct my understanding, but I think that, as of now, my understanding is correct.