1373916787[/url]' post='3286845']

I gotta say how much I dislike the TOC shows.

Yes, I am trying to be open minded and get out my comfort zone with the format of show I am used

to after all of these years, but. . .

I will not go to another one. I am lucky enough to have the means to go to shows that are not near me,

so I can check out everyone before finals week.

Here is my jaded take on things:

The G8/7 are still trying to find a format that pulls in the most people so they can figure out how to make more

money and leave DCI. And yes, DCI is aiding them because the backbone of DCI belongs to Dave Gibbs and George Hopkins

and everyone just rolls over because of how highly we value winning/winners over everything.

Michael Cesario and Dan Atcheson ask the wrong people about what is entertainment in this activity because

they themselves have lost touch with what most ticket buyers want and certainly what would bring in more ticket buyers.

Though I like most drum corps shows, my intelligent, musically trained, open-minded wife and our friends have stopped

going to shows with me because though they appreciate the hard work of the members, they find most shows to be self-serving.

John Phillips and Michael Cesario have either not tried or do not have enough control over the judges or top corps' admin teams

to allow many different types of shows, styles, etc. to be competitive. Though you can say there are different corps identities,

take the uniform off and many are doing the same types of things because the judges have deemed those things, despite their true

content, as being most rewardable. What is entertaining and accessible to most viewers is still less rewarded as more allusive shows.

. . translated into not intelligently designed enough to be competitive. So , despite what extra tunes, or ensembles,

etc. DCI asks the corps to prepare, the competitive drive to win will trump all else and these "extra" TOC offerings will forever be

a let down.

Anyone else remember when "America-O'Canada" sounded great by the mass hornlines? Different time with a different overall focus.

Cool story, bro.

• Like 7

I gotta say how much I dislike the TOC shows.

Yes, I am trying to be open minded and get out my comfort zone with the format of show I am used

to after all of these years, but. . .

I will not go to another one. I am lucky enough to have the means to go to shows that are not near me,

so I can check out everyone before finals week.

Here is my jaded take on things:

The G8/7 are still trying to find a format that pulls in the most people so they can figure out how to make more

money and leave DCI. And yes, DCI is aiding them because the backbone of DCI belongs to Dave Gibbs and George Hopkins

and everyone just rolls over because of how highly we value winning/winners over everything.

Michael Cesario and Dan Atcheson ask the wrong people about what is entertainment in this activity because

they themselves have lost touch with what most ticket buyers want and certainly what would bring in more ticket buyers.

Though I like most drum corps shows, my intelligent, musically trained, open-minded wife and our friends have stopped

going to shows with me because though they appreciate the hard work of the members, they find most shows to be self-serving.

John Phillips and Michael Cesario have either not tried or do not have enough control over the judges or top corps' admin teams

to allow many different types of shows, styles, etc. to be competitive. Though you can say there are different corps identities,

take the uniform off and many are doing the same types of things because the judges have deemed those things, despite their true

content, as being most rewardable. What is entertaining and accessible to most viewers is still less rewarded as more allusive shows.

. . translated into not intelligently designed enough to be competitive. So , despite what extra tunes, or ensembles,

etc. DCI asks the corps to prepare, the competitive drive to win will trump all else and these "extra" TOC offerings will forever be

a let down.

Anyone else remember when "America-O'Canada" sounded great by the mass hornlines? Different time with a different overall focus.

you should send this to DCI

• Like 7

Oh I don't deny that the fans loved it. That much was obvious. He was asking if anyone remembered when it sounded good.

well, to many people, loud is good.

While we all want DCi corps to be technically the best, and demand it, not all fans want just that.

you have a better chance drawing in tons of bandos doing Glee medleys.

• Like 2

Phann771 - I can somewhat understand your feelings on certain aspects of DCI. First of all, I can no longer get my family or friends to attend shows. They don't like the direction many corps have taken. I know they would be interested in seeing SCV's Les Miserables show, but won't go just to see a few shows they like. I must say that my appreciation of shows has changed over the years. I know I am more critical of shows now than say 15 - 20 years ago. Perhaps it is because I have gotten older or that the designs of shows has changed. I do recognize the level of difficulty of the corps. I will also admit that I want to be able to recognize the music and don't like it to be chopped up. That is just my preference. As far as design of shows goes, I believe DCI and BOA are very similar. Perhaps they will merge down the road.

• Like 2

There I was G....swimming along at about 30ft below the surface on DCP, the water was clear and blue (of course), and I could see a long way. Suddenly, what looked like a fish darted in front of me.....I wanted it......it wanted it bad! I circled it....is it real? Or is it just bait... with some troller on the other end waiting to reel me in? What should I do? My instinct says......"strike!" But alas, I swam close and found it was only porpoise poop. w00t.gif/> #### Flipper!

Picture: That shark at the end of Jaws when it jumped into the boat and ate the captain.

Come on! It'll be fun!

:rolleyes:/>

Picture: That shark at the end of Jaws when it jumped into the boat and ate the captain.

Come on! It'll be fun!

:rolleyes:/>/>

leave me out of this

Phann771 - I can somewhat understand your feelings on certain aspects of DCI. First of all, I can no longer get my family or friends to attend shows. They don't like the direction many corps have taken. I know they would be interested in seeing SCV's Les Miserables show, but won't go just to see a few shows they like. I must say that my appreciation of shows has changed over the years. I know I am more critical of shows now than say 15 - 20 years ago. Perhaps it is because I have gotten older or that the designs of shows has changed. I do recognize the level of difficulty of the corps. I will also admit that I want to be able to recognize the music and don't like it to be chopped up. That is just my preference. As far as design of shows goes, I believe DCI and BOA are very similar. Perhaps they will merge down the road.

Dino.

(Welcome to the club)

• Like 1

I personally loved America-O-Canada. I recorded it to disc and listen to it frequently.

When garfields_kid was a pup and Dad was listening to drum corps, he would sit in my lap and watch in fascination. Didn't matter how long we sat there. He'd not move and he'd let me point things out to him to get excited about. This was before he could talk.

Eventually, I'd skip to the retreat and I'd crank up sound. He'd grab my thumbs as I air-conducted AOC and "play along" through the whole thing. At the last cut off, he'd burst into applause, just like me, and yell "Yea-a-a-a-a-a-!"

Yea, I liked America-O-Canada and it's a shame it went away.

If garfields_kid sat on my lap today, I wouldn't be able to breath.

• Like 3