Denton, TX

I'm serious there are gonna be some corps that are gonna go "huhhhh? Whaaa happen?"

then put up or shut up.

I'm your Huckleberry

• Like 2

First show of the season for me tonight. A very quick synopsis. Because of work obligations, I wasn't able to see Mandarins or Colts. My vantage point was also poor because I was fairly low and between 40-30. That being said, my favorite corps of the night was SCV. Great uniform look and first powerful and compact sound of the night for me. Perhaps it was because they were the first corps after INT. I especially appreciated the high mark time company front (Thank you Jeff Fiedler!) Also liked the flags behind the back drops in backfield. Also liked the brass playing back there as well.

My impressions of the other corps are just too basic but I will comment on what stuck out in my mind.

Love Pat Metheny's First Circle for BK. The closing theme to the show should be a much faster tempo and the marching should also be faster. Rotating circles may be too obvious here, but I was imagining Star doing their circles in '91 during "Roman Images."

Cavies weren't as bad as I thought they were going to be. Seemed like a typical Cavies show. I agree somewhat that the cloaks blur the forms, but not to the point of distraction. Was told there are about 85 new young rookies in this corps. They seemed solid to me.

Cadets didn't astound like in years past. Again I was low, so I totally missed on the GE from up high. A friend who was up there was amazed at the sound going back and forth on the field.

Not sure what to make of BD. Again, not as horrid as some have suggested, but I agree to some extent that the show is out there. I love the PR version of the music from 2000, so I'm a little biased. I just don't get all the poles on stands. This show made me begin to despise props.

Thought I would like Crown more than I did. Just didn't feel it as much. But I did like the brass book a lot. Nice control and sound. Guard was solid as well. Not a fan of narration, so it detracts for me.

Spirit, not a bad show. Like the theme. Nice brass moments throughout. Guard nice job.

Xmen, not enthralled by the theme. Some nice moments though.

Blue Stars, also not sure about the theme. The corps seemed flat, but going on early will do that. Snare line especially looked like they were struggling to get thru their drill.

Not sure what was going on outside the stadium, but fans had the hardest time getting in. Traffic and parking was apparently a disaster. According to some it took over an hour just to exit of the highway and finally make it into the stadium. And DCI charging $5 for parking and then not having parking spots for those people was a huge blunder. Fans were angry by the time they got to the gate. Also the general seating down low was also mishandled. People had specific sections for their general seating tickets. But when they got to their sections, there were no seats because people just sat anywhere. Reserved seating was sold out, but even people that had those tickets found people sitting in their seats. I would have been angry too had I paid big bucks for my tickets and then couldn't get to the stadium in a reasonable time frame.

is it DCI with the parking/ticket issues or the host?

Yes, he is. I had the same reaction as you. I've been disappointed with Weber's drill since 2009. 2006-2008 were great IMO, but everything since then has left me wanting more.

You can have all the effects you want in your drill (especially from Weber), but if you can't clean it you are not going to compete. It's a very fine balance between "oooh look what we can do" versus actually pulling it off and getting credit for it.

• Like 1

Star was great with Medea, but the piece actually ends like Cadets version, not like 1993

Also find it interesting Cadets program is deemed derivative but SCV can do their 1989 program and its considered fresh?

Face it SCV simply gets more love than Cadets around these parts.

is it DCI with the parking/ticket issues or the host?

No, it's not DCI's fault. People didn't understand that were actually 2 ways to enter and exit the stadium grounds. Dan Potter even tried to help everyone with an announcement at the end of the night.

I can't say I want people to figure out the other entrance to the stadium, though. It makes my commute much easier :thumbup:/>

Crown's percussion score was up by .2 last night when compared to Bentonville, yet their overall score dropped by .55. That's a .75 delta when the percussion score is pulled from the total. So, I'm casting my vote for an "off night."

numbers management and contest dynamics play such a huge role in this. everyone thinks every night scores should go up.....but lineup can affect numbers.

well if people aren't sub box tying all the time

• Like 1

Star was great with Medea, but the piece actually ends like Cadets version, not like 1993

Also find it interesting Cadets program is deemed derivative but SCV can do their 1989 program and its considered fresh?

Funny you should mention that. I brought that up in earlier posts. I have to say SCV and Cadets have 2 of my favorite shows this year, and it is funny since they are kind of doing each others music this year. I think part of the reason people tend to see it differently is Cadets are doing more recent music of SCV(1999-2000) along with part of Star 93. SCV is doing Cadets 89, which is 9-10 years earlier than the SCV music that Cadets are doing this year. Also, people tend to bash on Cadets a lot, while most people love SCV. So they could both do the exact same show next year, and even if Cadets performed it better, they would probably receive more negative criticisms for it. But I have to say I usually don't like it when a corps performs music that is strongly associated with another corps I have to say that this year the shows work for both corps.

Agreed NewJersey... Storylines sell tickets and create revenue. How many fans would go to Finals week if you knew the placements ahead of time?

usually depending on the location 15k-25k since 1972...when you had several undfeated corps

Some of this may be true...and it doesn't take much imagination to know that close competition sells....and that dominating corps enjoying 1.5 pt leads throughout the season are a buzz kill (except for them of course :rolleyes:/>/>). But this year, there are 3 corps with "unquestionable" title shows (and a 4th that is medal quality as well). This is a tough one for the judges...........and none of us can even remotely predict a winner in Indy...............yet.

and let's be honest. for those that have never judged at any level, it's easy to assume judges get their "scoring orders" before a show could begin.

nothing could be further than the truth. But, you do have judges with histories with some corps that have beendocumented...you do see a pattern. But that's not DCI telling them what to do.

Chuck King anyone?

Are the Blue Devils starting to receive some crowd response? How much does crowd response count on the judges sheets? and which captions/subs? You seem to know a lot more about the sheets than I do since I've never bothered to look at them. I'm really trying to understand how a corps could score so high in GE if the crowd is not engaged at all.

In Denver BD never got anything more than polite golf claps during the show and most people didn't even stand at the end, which was a poor showing for the Denver crowd if you ask me.

Lil help!

seems to me you need to do a search on here for general effect. myself and several others have broken down the sheet, the triad of effect and everything else. GE is not just clapping in the stands