Slotting 2013

The compressed range of scores is an excellent point. We have a 100 point scale, but only about a quarter of it gets used at a regional and only about half over the course of the year. I think one of the more sane judging changes DCI could make is to recalibrate: something like the Cascades 49.5 this June becomes a 5.0 and a champion at finals remains around a 98.0. The result is bigger, more meaningful spreads and less need for numbers management.

if you truly want to open up spreads, go the WGI percussion model. Give the judge the ability to go out to the .005 for each subbox as well as weight performer more heavily than book on all sheets except GE.

You wouldn't believe the number of dishes we saw outside of York!!

York's not Amish country. fair amount of Mennonites, but not much Amish. A whole lot of rednecks though

says the guy who lives near York and Lancaster counties

• Like 1

Masters degrees in Manufacturing Operations, Industrial Engineering, and an MBA. Currently Director of Quality Control and Inspection for a global manufacturer with repeatable inspection methods for both concrete and aesthetic criteria.

You also leave out one huge factor......each sheet is different. So if each judge judges their sheet to the criteria on the back, anything can happen....and if you look at the top 3 for example it is. They have all traded victories. Crown's percussion, by your math should be top 3 and thus they wouldn't have losses. oh but wait, they do. They also have had GE losses and some other sheets as well.

perfect example...Phantom 2010. 6th place corps....drum score was huge. left very little room for any of the 5 to follow to top it. If you go off of slotting, drum score should have been about a point lower, which actually would have dropped them a place or so.

I think it is pretty amazing how the corps with the highest score ALWAYS comes in first, while the corps with the lowest ALWAYS comes in last. You would think that at least once in a while the lowest score would place first or something.

:lookaround:/>/>

no because then it would ruin my annual prediction

You just out-Ream'ed Ream :-)

that's $20 for taking the name in vain

:tongue:/>

York's not Amish country. fair amount of Mennonites, but not much Amish. A whole lot of rednecks though

says the guy who lives near York and Lancaster counties

Family from Hanover to Phoenixville with stops in Lititz to Ephrata. I've seen a few, but not quite like the other side in northern IN.

Masters degrees in Manufacturing Operations, Industrial Engineering, and an MBA. Currently Director of Quality Control and Inspection for a global manufacturer with repeatable inspection methods for both concrete and aesthetic criteria.

That's quite impressive. Congratulations.

So you're an engineer. And that's why you are using terms like 'regulated process' in a discussion about bias in sports. Do you believe being an engineer confers upon you the ability to draw conclusions on a data set in the social sciences without conducting actual research?

Keep in mind, the only reason I asked your expertise was your specific assertions that assumed knowledge on the subject, such as the definition of "tampering". Maybe in your company you can accuse someone of tampering without implying intent, but that's not what it means anywhere else.

You didn't respond to any of my other points, including the evidence I provided that essentially similar data (with the same features you call slotting) result from unbiased computer "judges" which consider only 1. the actual merit of each corps, 2. a random error for the judge, and 3. a random "bump" factor for that judge (which affects all corps equally). Do you accuse my processor of slotting?

• Like 1

Your example showed four very distinct occurrences of 4-5 corps eliciting concurrent, equidistant spikes. That is very clear evidence of an attempt to preserve the overall spacing and range. THAT is slotting.

Wait, do you mean the example I posted? The random numbers!?

I'm no statistician, but it sure seems to me like this post is a winner.

• Like 1