Fine Line

Hello Everyone,

I am a former teacher with a daughter marching her second year of drum corps. I have a question and would love to see some heartfelt and realistic discussion. At what point does the staff go from teaching to abusive and what can be done by the performers in this situation? Thank you for your kind response.

Hello Everyone,

I am a former teacher with a daughter marching her second year of drum corps. I have a question and would love to see some heartfelt and realistic discussion. At what point does the staff go from teaching to abusive and what can be done by the performers in this situation? Thank you for your kind response.

The only way that could be discerned would be to define abusive, as it relates to this particular case.

Hello Everyone,

That's a very broad and frankly unanswerable question.

If you have a specific concern I suggest you voice it; you can certainly remain anonymous.

I would say...well.....depends on what you define abuse as. Is it verbal? is it physical? mental? A combination?

Sometimes, in the heat of the summer, when you work something ad nauseum and it just doesn't get better, tempers flare and words may be said that aren't exactly nice. That can go too far sure. it can get personal really quick. I'd also say if someone is hurt and staff keeps pushing them to march, yeah that's an issue, or if the corps is depriving the kids of food, water, sleep, yeah that's an issue too.

So, without naming names, corps, sections etc, I'm guessing we'd need to know more.

I do not think it would be a good idea to post any identifying information about the corps or staff involved when you just want general information on how to proceed, which is worth asking about. I agree with what Jeff posted as general guidelines and your suggestion that there can be a fine line hard to judge from afar. If you share more about what you're picking up on that makes you think there may be abuse, you can get some good advice here.

PMed you...