What is your favorite show?

In terms of my favorite......Madison Scouts....all by itself.....and nothing to do with the competition.

Competitively.....BD (of course), CC, SCV, Cadets in that order.

I have to say that this Madison show is now my favorite DC show of all time....for personal reasons, I suppose, but it's just #### beautifully done....a special story, and man those Scouts are into it! Should be mandatory viewing for the military (particularly, the Army and Marines)......Sua Sponte!

• Like 1

I've only been to one contest this season (and it was back in early July, so things were rough with some corps). Also, something that is important to me in DCI shows is how much they can be enjoyed just for hthe music. Years before I ever saw a corps live I had listened to old recordings of shows from years and decades past, and each time November rolls around I'll always order the newest season's Finals album. So I kind of have two ways to qualify how much I like a show: its impact live, and how I like it as a recording.

Live, it's no contest which corps is my favorite this year: Madison.

But which show will I probably listen to over and over again once I get the chance to purchase the Finals CD? If I had to guess, Cadets.

My favorite show this year is from the Cadets.

The Cadets have gone on a diet - they aren't having any cheese. The show is serious, intense, solemn and angry. Not a single smurphy, cheesy moment during the entire show.

I also love the columns. I thought I wouldn't but at times they resemble moving monoliths. I know people have been complaining about the colors, but I think they work and add to the intensity of what is going on during the show.

I also love the ending.

It's one of my favorite shows in a very long time.

• Like 4

CROWN: Despite a drum line that is not top four in a year of amazing drum lines top to bottom, this show entertains me from start to

finish and represents what I think a DCI champion should look and sound like.

CADETS: For many of the reasons listed above. It is a great show that simply seems to be missing that thing I cannot put my tiger on right now.

One change in the show may take care of that.

SCV: A great drum corps show that if super clean would be a winner in some given year. Fantastic. Love the uniform as well.

SPIRIT: Wonderfully put together with tons of effect and variety of visual and musical thoughts all rolled into the 1920s. So entertaining it

could be easy to miss a lot of the depth and detail. Love them.

Edited by mirrormen

Blue Stars, Cadets (my God drumline) Devils (love this show for the first time in a few years), Madison (will be top 5 next year) and everyone else.

Edited by BozzlyB
  • Like 2

Santa Clara. As a proud alum, and as an open minded fan, this show is just really great. Wonderful, melodic music interpreted

beautifully in a visual way. They have found themselves again!

Cadets. They are just so well trained and perform so confidently. Amazing drum line. Can anyone make straighter lines?

The show is so well put together.

Spirit of Atlanta. Why I fell in love with corps and why i keep coming back. Have restored my faith that Cesario's plan to

allow for diversity and audience engagement is perhaps for real. Super crafty show.

Crown. Doing what they do at a very high level. Love the guard and of course that brass line.

These four shows for me represent a diversity of styes and types of drum corps entertainment as well as a staff's ability to stick to their style and

yet continue develop it to its next level.

BD and Bluecoats a distant 5th and 6th rank as for my favorites this season.

• Like 1

1. Carolina Crown - Overall, the show is exciting, emotional, clever, and cerebral. Basically, it has just about everything I could want in a drum corps show. Their percussion feature is my favorite one this year, and the silence before the following brass impact is extremely effective. However, I'm still not entirely sold on the ending yet, I think it needs more velocity. I also think the counting adds a lot to the show, and it's really cool when it's syncopated in the percussion feature.

2. Phantom Regiment - This show is underrated; it's also emotionally captivating (musically speaking) as well as exciting. The music and drill design choices are really smart (they just have to close that book eventually). Nimrod is one of my favorite all-time compositions, and though their rendition of it is really beautiful, I feel it gets a bit "notey" at times. I think it might be more effective if someone actually dressed up as the evil queen because the puppet itself is a little underwhelming.

3. Santa Clara Vanguard - Their arrangement of Les Mis is actually more successful to me than the Cadets' 1989 version. This show has so much heart and power, the impact in "I Dreamed a Dream" is a deluge of emotional force. The corps performing behind the barricade is also very effective during "Bring Him Home." However, I think the drill, as great as it is, is too self-referencing; I get bored of the logo by the end of the show. My favorite moment of drill would be where the four circles collapse into the oval.

After seeing the Murfreesboro show, I can confidently state my top 3 are:

1. Santa Clara Vanguard -- the energy level is non-stop, the performance is outstanding, and the material is top notch! There is nothing I don't like about this show!

2. Mandarins -- A brilliant show for this often-forgotten corps, and they are performing the heck out of it. They also get credit for having the first truly good use of narration in DCI.

3. Troopers -- They sound better than many sure-finalist corps to my ear, and they're playing great arrangements of classic tunes. The show fits the corps like a glove, and their use of the flag and their classic guard uniform are truly brilliant. Also, sunburst!

• Like 4

However, I think the drill, as great as it is, is too self-referencing; I get bored of the logo by the end of the show.

I love all the self-references. None are repeats. But I understand--my wife had the same complaint. Her max is one self-referential drill set per show. So Crown and Phantom are good this year. :tongue:

My favorite moment of drill would be where the four circles collapse into the oval.

YES! That is awesome, and awesomely done! :worthy:

• Like 1

The Cadets and Carolina Crown. Just amazing power musically. When I saw them I was on the edge of my seat the entire show.