DCI major announcement?

It's significant in some ways, but really, how different is streaming finals compared to streaming semis, which they've already been doing for multiple years? Maybe it's just me, but the wording of their hype for this made me expect, if nothing else, something different, rather than just (essentially) "We're now streaming n+1 shows instead of n! Oh, and the n+1th costs twice as much."

And it makes sense to charge more if they had to do a lot of backend work to be able to support the added load of finals vs semis, and only DCI has the numbers on how much that would be.

I guess what it comes down to is that, personally, viewing finals isn't all that different from viewing either of the other two nights. If it were "any LOS show costs $70, other shows cost $30", I would find that more reasonable. The shows only change very marginally between quarters, semis, and finals. It's the same venue. And heck, finals night has fewer corps than semis, so it's that much worse of a deal than watching semis! It does have the draw of being finals and it has retreat, and I know some people will buy it for that, but personally, I'd find it hard or impossible to justify shelling out more for finals than semis.

To be fair, Nick, you are not DCI's target audience for this stream anyway. When's the last time you attended the Prelim cinecast or watched the Semis live stream or sat at home sweating in anticipation on Saturday night, wondering how finals was going and scouring DCP and Twitter for every detail? Oh right, you were out on the field kicking ### for the past four years. :thumbup: Sure, you might not have felt much difference in the performances each night, but it was you and the other 1799 kids out there that we were itching to pay money to see each and every year. :worthy:

• Like 1

My guess: Roof Open during Prelims.

they said major, not fantasy

:tongue:/>

it's not just about value either - it is about exposure

let's face it - a lot of people can't get there due to time, commitments, kid care, health etc... this opens it up to them

parents, grandparents etc of MM who couldn't make the trip

hopefully some HS band directors open the band room up - get the show - and invite their kids to watch

a win/win for everyone -- when all the decent seats (between the 15s) are gone long before finals week this is a smart move for sure!!

I agree. it's THE event of the season, and as such, it should have a bigger price tag. I mean heaven forbid DCI make a few bucks right? Plus, as someone above said...boom, people chipping in $$ and you have a party. So many people can't make Indy at all as George said...or like me, have no desire to go back, that DCI was pissing away revenue not showing it. I already know of one band director paying for it, and having a party in the band room for his kids. Genius!!

Of course, continued issues with Fan Network feed scares me, but I'm in.If you find it too high, then don't ####### buy it. That simple.

• Like 1

Because DCI is clearly on that level of brand.

gee how dare DCI try and make some money too.

Because there isnt a middle ground? For instance, $20 for a stream version?

sure...if you want DCI to lose $$. and if DCI loses money, the corps loses money.

Atlanta as a one time buy was $25. you want finals, THE show of the year for less? Dream on

Your comment makes absolutely no sense. Is DCI competing with Wrestlemania? I'm sure there are many that can and will pay to watch the finals stream, but not as many as would be watching if the price were more reasonable. That seems to be DCI's M.O. though ... gouge the die hard fans and keep the activity as obscure as possible.

yeah, lose money so you feel happy. Genius!

Finals will be broadcast LIVE on Fan Network...PLEASE!!!!!!!! :smile:/>/>/>

17152725dFVB0PY1.gif

• Like 2

Look, fans who know nothing about DCI aren't going to magically trip across the Fan Network on August 10th. This is meant for fans who already know about it. And because we get to stream it, I can hook this up to a projector at my school, and get 10-20 people together to watch it. So instead of all of us trying to book it across country, or paying thousands of dollars, we can all do it for $50, and I can even charge a cover fee to make my money back. Also means that people who aren't die-hard fans can come and watch as much or as little of it as they want, without a huge fee. Finals tickets cost the same whether you watch all 12 or just one corps. I think it's $125 for a Finals ticket. This is less than half of that. Which means I can expose casual fans to it, without them having to go see the live show. I think it's worth my money and experience, but everyone's mileage will vary with this

:worthy:/>

• Like 1

It would certainly be easier than asking them to pay $70 a show. This pricing model tells me DCI sees this as a niche activity with a few thousand hardcore fans willing to pay a lot of money for a mediocre feed but not much more than that. DCI clearly has no desire to grow any larger than they are now. If they did, they would be trying to get as many people as possile watching finals.

well then don't buy it then. sit here on finals night reading thru the feed we that bought it do

Why the hell not? What better way to attract new fans then to show them the best you have to offer? If not finals ... then what?

DCi isn't goint to attract NEW fans for $20. Look how many NEW fans go to shows at todays current ticket prices. Um, very few unless it's discounted or a freebie.

Some kid, who knows nothing about DCI isn't going to stumble around the interwebs and say "hey mom and dad, can I drop $20 on this band thing?"

• Like 1