DCI major announcement?

To be fair, it's not marketed at new fans. You want to know who the market for the Finals stream is? The hard core fan that will throw a party and invite news fans to attend. And that is freakin' genius.

Why the hell not? What better way to attract new fans then to show them the best you have to offer? If not finals ... then what?

To be fair, it's not marketed at new fans.

And thats the problem.

This is short term desperation thinking. Like I said, there are plenty of people willing to pay for this (including myself), but you aren't going to get anyone that isn't already a hardcore fan. You can't attract new customers if they can't even see your product.

Or, like I pointed out. You pay for it once, and then hook it up to a projector for a bunch of friends and/or people at your school. Then everyone can see it. You can get devoted and casual fans. not like they're going to post Finals on YouTube or something stupid like it.

You missed where it was explained to you twice (once by me) that production costs do not scale linearly that way.

You missed where I refuted that ridiculous argument. It doesn't cost more than twice as much to stream finals than it does to stream Atlanta (especially when all the equipment is already set up).

Besides, why would it cost more to charge $70 than it would be to charge $20?

Edited by jasgre2000

And thats the problem.

Why? You know what's marketed at new fans? LIVE SHOWS. FN's Video on Demand. The live stream as a social event (i.e. "party").

I'm beginning to think a few of you aren't really interested in "growing the activity"....I think you just don't want to spend any money. And that's ok. DCI isn't marketing to you either.

• Like 4

You missed where I refuted that ridiculous argument. It doesn't cost more than twice as much to stream finals than it does to stream Atlanta (especially when all the equipment is already set up).

Besides, why would it cost more to charge $70 than it would be to charge $20?

Are you a FN Live Stream subscriber now?

Look, we get it. You think it's too expensive. So don't buy it. There was a time when it would have been too expensive for me too. Like I said before, if you really want to watch, apply Rule #9. If not, fine. I think it's of value at twice the price. Heck, it's cheaper than taking your wife/girlfriend/whatever out for a moderately nice dinner.

You're completely missing the point. I already said I was willing to pay it. It doesn't seem you are really listening to what I am saying though, so we'll just have to leave it at that.

And thats the problem.

Indirectly, it is. It's a great tool for us alumni to bring some people over and show it to the uninitiated.

Are you a FN Live Stream subscriber now?

Yes I am. And I have gone to multiple live shows and will happily pay for the finals stream.

It would certainly be easier than asking them to pay $70 a show. This pricing model tells me DCI sees this as a niche activity with a few thousand hardcore fans willing to pay a lot of money for a mediocre feed but not much more than that. DCI clearly has no desire to grow any larger than they are now. If they did, they would be trying to get as many people as possile watching finals.

It is ABSURD to think DCI does not want as many people to watch as possible. Unfortunately, that vehicle is not currently available. This is an effort to maximize revenue from those who ALREADY have an interest in watching DCI in one form, or another. Whatever funds DCI gets from this effort are NEW funds. Funds they probably were not going to get otherwise. Think about it, how many marching music fans are out there in Europe and the Far East to tap (despite the time differential)?

I hear your concerns. They are valid. I just think Pay-Per-View is the product of the future. For many reasons.