If BD Wins, We Riot!

Not my graduate school. Wikipedia is a definite No no. Use the authoritative source instead of Wikipedia, then no one will have a problem...

I wasn't clear. Use Wiki to guide you to primary sources. You can also use a sourced article as an informal quote as well.

Drum corps isn't (and shouldn't be) art? Geez, I hope that is a minority point of view. The artistic merit is what draws me to drum corps, and I appreciate that some corps are starting to take that to another level. I find it sad that people want to dumb down drum corps.

I find it sad fans have to spend hours researching shows so they understand what the hell they are seeing. I guess in your opinion, Madison, Crossmen et all that I mentioned are dumbed down eh?

I just finished watching some video of this year's BD show, and all I can say is, "Wow"; and, "Wow".

The first "wow" is for BD. That is one amazing show! DCI might want to police the Youtube videos with a light hand--having seen that video, I might actually consider trying to make it out to a show, if I could see that live. It's been a busy summer, and I wasn't planning on doing anything DCI related, but I might be moved to change my mind for stuff like this. I know Crown has a killer hornline this year, too, but come on--these cats are killing it!

The second "wow" is for all of the negative discussion I've seen on these boards regarding this show. For all of you that have been criticising them this season--this is it? This is the show that's ruining DCI? This is the show that I've seen referred to here over and over as "disjointed" and "disconnected"? I'm not sure what I was expecting to see, based on these comments (complete atonality and visual chaos, probably--it was made out to be just that), but it wasn't this. There is, in fact, a little shard of (ready for it?) MELODY that ties the whole thing together!

I am honestly surprised that a show so rich with artistry is being so poorly received by this community. I would guess that the vast majority of us that post here were/are involved in the performing arts on some level. If this is the show that puts it out of reach for you, if this is the one that's so out-there and over your head that you just can't take it any more, then I have a suggestion, if I may be so bold. Go get your your iPod, mp3 player, phone, computer, whatever it is you listen to music on, and WIPE IT CLEAN. You need to hear some new sounds. I would suggest getting a couple albums by the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra. This will acclimate your ears to chords that have more than 3 notes in them. Nothing in the Devils show is much more advanced than what is on those records, and those are sounds that have been around since the 1960's. Pre-DCI. Pre-Blue Devils.

I have not generally been a big fan of BD lately. I think some of the criticism they have been receiving lately, regarding show design, has been deserved. This show, however, in my humble opinion, they hit this one out of the park. People who want the "old BD" back, I think you get some of that here. Of course, the show I'm reminded of is 1991--others that are clamouring for the old probably were hoping for 1992.

I agree with you 100%, but get prepared. You've just set yourself up for a viscious onslaught!!! Maybe you need to start a new thread for those who want to discuss the good things the BD are doing with this show and doing it so well. What do you say?

Edited by srb30a

I don't buy that for a second. Fans are booing because they are tired of BD beating their FAVORITE (note, I didn't say best) corps. It has nothing to do with the quality of their show or their technical proficiency. This isn't the people's choice awards.

SOME people are booing for the reason you've given.

I think most fans are booing ( well, those that ARE booing are doing so ) because they're tired of the show designs; mostly their quality...

Why are we blaming anyone? I think what they are doing is wonderful.

good for you. many other PAYING customers don't.

DCI's not really in a place where it can keep seeing fans ###### off and walking away

• Like 1

It certainly would be, if that is what anyone is doing. But it appears my point was missed entirely.

I am asking why, as we appear to be in agreement that actually booing the actual performers would indeed be a horrible thing to do, you would assume that to be the only possible explanation of the behavior of a person you don't even know. Am I not correct that you have persisted in that assumption?

This makes no sense. If judges are judging the performance of the members, and you are booing the scores the judges are giving the members, then you are clearly commenting not only on the judges but also ... wait for it ... the members. You can't boo a judge without commenting on the thing they are judging. It is literally impossible. You can try to avoid it with your words, but you can't booing scores and placements is no different than booing BD's members.

Besides ... booing is just terribly rude in any context. It is immature and boorish, even if you are booing judges, young adults, designers, and/or "professionals." Are these people getting paid? The "professionals" on the field certainly aren't. Those that are are getting paid a minuscule amount of money for the amount of time and work they do. And yet you have a right to treat those people, who put much more effort into this activity than 99% of the people booing ever will, like crap because you weren't "entertained"? Give me a break!

If Crown and BD swapped shows, no one would know the difference and people would still be booing BD when they win. It has nothing to do with the shows and everything to do with the uniforms the corps are wearing.

So very untrue. That just shows a disconnect between what you think and what I think.

• Like 1

I find it sad fans have to spend hours researching shows so they understand what the hell they are seeing. I guess in your opinion, Madison, Crossmen et all that I mentioned are dumbed down eh?

It is a terrible thing that someone might learn something they didn't know? God forbid that one has to tax one's brain!!!

So very untrue. That just shows a disconnect between what you think and what I think.

No, there are certainly a good number of fans that think this way. I have no idea if it's a majority, but they are certainly out there.

Are you suggesting that DCI has gotten smaller because of show designs? Should we go back to the days of symmetrical drill, high mark times, and marching timpanis? That was when drum corps was at its biggest, right? That would certainly take a lot of the "art" out of the activity, which I'm sure you would appreciate.

Not those types of show designs... BTW, I think someone is doing some high mark time this year in their show, and it's just fine.