If BD Wins, We Riot!

I know they are technically very good so may the best corps on Finals night win. GO BD or SCV West Coast!

For you, it seems more like a West coast thing than anything else.... I find that funny, as I've lived all over the US and we're all one country... We're pretty much the same culturally...

I'd love to see SCV win. I would like some aspects of THAT design being copied rather than more of the same.... ...and the marching arts activity copies the winner in an effort to bottle the lightning and score higher as well...

So for me, it's not so much having a problem with the cleanest corps; it's knowing that the winning design of the year is going to have influence on so many HS band program designs in the near and possibly long term future...

I will be at Finals, and I will applaud BD, whether they win, or lose. Why? Because i happened to march in a corps that often played to half-empty stands, and even though it never affected me personally when I performed, I always told myself that I would support all corps, no matter what. That not only means corps like the Blue Saints, but corps like the Blue Devils. I'll probably be that guy who sits and watches all the shows at Prelims.

Why boo the corps itself? No matter if you believe that you're preparing them for real life, or that you're making your opinion known since you bought tickets, those members have worked hard all summer, and even if you don't care much for their show, you should at least acknowledge the hard work and sacrifice that those 150 members have made. Make your displeasure known to the judges, or the staff, not the kids. Just my two cents.

(EDIT: Now I know the members do contribute to the show.)

Edited by scsudrummer

If Crown and BD swapped shows, no one would know the difference and people would still be booing BD when they win. It has nothing to do with the shows and everything to do with the uniforms the corps are wearing.

• Like 1

It is very much true that the BD members contribute ideas to the show. Scott Chandler discusses it in one of the very interesting "conversations" they have with the staff on their MediaBox site (those can be viewed free, without membership). He touches briefly on show construction and how some of the staging and movement decisions are made, and there are many things which sprout from watching the members try something, or do something improvisational, which he then notices, asks them to do it again, and it gets modified and perhaps used for a grouping of people, etc.

Anyone who just writes their show off as "boring" or whatever is doing themselves a disservice by not checking out some of those videos before casting judgement. The amount of thought and research of the source material that went into the show development is fantastic. Nothing happens by chance in the program, and much of it is a direct reference to the original ballet choreography and various musical ideas. The title, "re:Rite of Spring" means REGARDING Rite of Spring, as in an exploration of the various ways it has been interpreted in different manners. It's excellent stuff.

That said, I love the show. It is my favorite of the season, but it doesn't make me want to scream my lungs out when it is over either. It is not that sort of production. It would be like screeching BOOOYA!!!! in the middle of a Martha Graham performance of something. Personally, the whole thing is full of so much overwhelming detail, that when it ends, I need a minute to process some of what I just experienced. But then I want to see it again, and again. I could see it 50 times and keep noticing segments that I hadn't seen the previous 49. For me, that is lasting entertainment.

I'm glad not everyone does shows like BD, but I'm even more glad that they DO do them. As long as they continue to perform what they have chosen with nearly unmatched excellence, they deserve to keep winning. When someone else performs their own choice with the same excellence, they will win. That happened a lot for much of the season, and it still could these last few weeks.

If true, that makes me even more impressed with their show. How anyone could use that fact to justify booing people is beyond me.

• Like 1

Okay? They can also hear it when the audience applauds less after the show is over than before it started.

Booing is rude and nasty. Clapping is not. Why is this so hard for people to figure out?

• Like 1

Agreed. This goes along the lines of something Granny said on one of the earlier posts. These are not kids they are young ADULTS, and if you go to work every day and drop the ball, nobody is going to pat you on the back and say good job. You're going to have to deal with the negative consequences because that's how life works.

BUT...so far nobody has been able to articulate to me what exactly these specific young ADULTS in the Blue Devils will have done to "drop the ball" if they wind up winning DCI this year which deserves condemnation. I mean really, what did THEY do which deserves booing? They performed a difficult show extremely well? They busted their butts and gave their all? Of course that's not why they deserved to be booed in certain peoples' opinions. They deserve to be booed, I guess, because they marched in a corps whose design team came up with a show that those who boo don't like.

How dare they??

This is why the whole concept of booing is stupid. It's completely misdirected. Boo the staff? Well, some of them are down on the edges of the field, some are in the press box, some are in the stands. That won't work. Boo the judges? Yeah, that's what they SAY they're doing, but nobody boos the press box as you suggest. And most judges, as someone pointed out, are already out the door by the time the scores are announced. So who's left? The members on the field. But we're not booing THEM, they say. Well, sorry, but you are. They're the only ones out there and you're booing the wrong people.

And if it's not about BD winning, as many of them say, then why DON'T they boo them during their performance? That's the thing that has people so ticked off, the SHOW. Why NOT boo the show when it's right there in front of them? Easy. Because that would be rude. That would be disrespectful. And by and large, drum corps fans don't do that. They boo when the scores are announced because it's ALL about who wins (or who DOESN'T win). And in this case, it's ALL about BD (possibly) winning. If BD finished 6th this year, this thread wouldn't exist. Even if they still despised the show, which I'm sure they would, it wouldn't have people nearly as riled up. So if the fans can get all ticked off because BD wins, why get all bothered when BD fans and members get all cocky when they DO win? That's all anyone seems to really care about, though they probably won't admit it.

Earlier, someone suggested that the best way to really get your point across to the staff if you don't like a show is to go get your hot dogs when that corps performs. Let them perform in front of a half-empty house. That's actually something I can get behind because it's far more direct in terms of articulating what the fans are supposedly displeased with, THE SHOW. We all have our hot dog corps anyway. If BD is really the corps with the show that the fans don't like, then why do they sit there and watch it? Let the fans who want to see that kind of show watch it and cheer. Go get your soft drink or go to the restroom. You'll do it anyway during some other corps or during an intermission. Make your statement that way. My guess is that deep down people would rather watch it, HATE it, and then boo when the scores are announced. That'll show 'em?

How does that justify being an ########? Why is it you that has the responsibility to make life tough for these "young adults"? It doesn't need to be that way. Just be a decent human being and life would be easier for everyone.

Because they disagree that they were the best corps on the field. Or they disagree that the judges are doing their jobs correctly. It's not so clear cut as you make it.

Give me a break. You and I both know that is not why people are booing.

How does that justify being an ########? Why is it you that has the responsibility to make life tough for these "young adults"? It doesn't need to be that way. Just be a decent human being and life would be easier for everyone.

Self-gratification. I'll be honest, I don't see a point in their life where they will get "knocked down a peg" or criticized after a major accomplishment (like winning a world championship). That would be like a boss chewing out their employee after they successfully completed a major project or did something extraordinary.

• Like 1

here is a key...not everyone wants to, or has the time or desire to go and do all of this research. that's the biggest issue I see happening with DCI programming.....yuou see it with Crown this year too. If you don't essentially do homework, you don't get it. Well, as a paying fan, I shouldn't have to go research it to get it.

Look at Madison this year....you don't need to research it to get it.or Crossmen, or Surf, or SCV. And that disconnect is growing more and more and turning people off.

and worse....sometimes doing the research turns you off even more on the show. I listened to Plan and all of the other BDers break down last year, the year before etc...and I still didn't like it, nor did many others.

So it comes down to what i said before...it's art vs. entertainment. The more it becomes art, the more it's going to affect DCI.....and it has already.

Drum corps isn't (and shouldn't be) art? Geez, I hope that is a minority point of view. The artistic merit is what draws me to drum corps, and I appreciate that some corps are starting to take that to another level. I find it sad that people want to dumb down drum corps.

Masterful. Got me there. I could include the full references if you'd like, but that would, you know, involve doing research, which is antithetical to enjoyment.

LOL ... perfect response. I don't get why people hate learning either.