If BD Wins, We Riot!

Just back from the monthly series of medical treatments, so please excuse me that I missed reading many posts. But a few comments here:

The very folks on this thread most complaining about others complaining about BD show, even to the point of booing at Atlanta (now an annual tradition) are themselves BOOING others.

For instance, Kamarq telling Granny, "Bullcrap" when he responds and compares Granny Smith to his own "mean" grandmother. But K doesn't seem to get that he has the same DNA and is being mean to Granny Smith.

The volume, velocity, and vehemence typical in the posts of this thread manifests clearly that there is a major disconnect between those who assign the judges and those who pay the judges' salaries by buying tickets. If BD is given the title again this year, is it perhaps time for BD or at least its design team to move on out of DCI (I don't mean a G-7 break) as the challenge, the reception, and the satisfaction seems to be diminished from what so many others are willing to subsidize? Just floating an idea knowing that Plan 9 and Jasgr... will write volumes in response.

• Like 3

For instance, Kamarq telling Granny, "Bullcrap" when he responds and compares Granny Smith to his own "mean" grandmother. But K doesn't seem to get that he has the same DNA and is being mean to Granny Smith.

Thank you for saying that Normy. Your words are a comfort to me to know that someone cares. I was simply to hurt to respond myself and had to call my son-in-law who is a licensed therapist to come to the home and comfort me.

I just don't think Kamarq understands or appreciates how much I work at writing my amazingly thoughtful posts which if he took more time to think about he would understand me better. I really think if he (I'm assuming it's a he because I don't believe any lady would be so harsh in their chastisement) understood the time I put into this and if he knew my back story and the nuanced details of what I was thinking he wouldn't say such things because his words broke my heart.

• Like 3

I also agree that there are some that will buy as art whatever is put in front of them, but using that as an argument against any particular piece of art is fallacious, in my opinion. Some people, myself included, loved last year's BD show. I strongly disliked BD's 2010 and 2011 shows though, so I don't think I just accept everything they do as good. Saying that someone only likes something because they will accept anything as good as long as it is called art is pretty condescending. There are certainly some out there that think that way, but I don't think you can make judgments about art that way.

I didn't mean for my comments to seem condescending. Just something I've seen. I don't think any of BD's shows are meant to be understood in one viewing. So it's just always surprising when people are saying at the very first show that BD's show ifs genius and an amazing design. I don't know how that can be grasped that quickly, and sometimes gives the impression that some folks out there just talk out of their butts and buy things because the designers say it's complicated and artsy. Just my read, could be right, could be wrong

So in your view they are booing the corps. Others here claim they are booing the judges, but we know that is just a coverup to make them feel better. They are booing the corps; I agree. Where we disagree is that IMO it is in very poor taste.

Wrong. They are booing the judges' decision. Does anybody boo at the end of BD's show? I saw them twice in Texas and they received mostly silence--no reaction at all. If people were booing the corps, they would do it at the end of BD's performance. I think the lack of audience reaction--indifference--speaks for itself.

Edited by WarriorHal
  • Like 2

Wrong. They are booing the judges' decision. Does anybody boo at the end of BD's show? I saw them twice in Texas and they received mostly silence--no reaction at all. If people were booing the corps, they would do it at the end of BD's performance. I think the lack of audience reaction--indifference--speaks for itself.

What you are saying is that they are booing the fact that the BD won the show...hance they are booing the BD for winning. Saying they are booing the judges and not the corps is, IMO, a rationalization to make the booer feel good about themselves.

• Like 1

What you are saying is that they are booing the fact that the BD won the show...hance they are booing the BD for winning. Saying they are booing the judges and not the corps is, IMO, a rationalization to make the booer feel good about themselves.

Mike,

You are caught in circular reasoning. The judges and BD are not the same entity (or aren't supposed to be), so therefore, the judges can be booed as well as the other entity can be booed.

To assess which is the object of the booing is really above most of our payscales.

• Like 1

It's clear that a lot of people--including me--don't like BD's show. I don't boo the corps when it is on the field. I just don't applaud. But booing the judges decision is no different than booing umpires, referees ect. at other competitive events. Freedom of expression is still a good thing.

• Like 1

People that boo may or may not " feel good about themselves " after they boo, who knows. But who cares one way or the other how booers feel after they boo ? I don't even know these people, so I really don't care how they "feel about themselves" after they boo ( or yawn, or stretch, or give a Standing O or whatever )

Edited by BRASSO

People that boo may or may not " feel good about themselves " after they boo, who knows. But who cares one way or the other how booers feel after they boo ? I don't even know these people, so I really don't care how they "feel about themselves" after they boo ( or yawn, or stretch, or give a Standing O or whatever )

If Michael Boo doesn't feel good about himself, we should all be sad...:huh2:/>

• Like 1

Any one who has performed knows that any sound you hear when you are onstage refers to you, no matter how your mind tries to convince you otherwise. Any "Boos" heard by the corps, any corps, hurts the kids on the field, even if the boos are actually intended for the judges. Indifferent applause speaks louder and hurts less.

That said, I've heard tales that the riots that occurred at the original Rite of Spring premiere might have been staged by plants in the audience for publicity... not sure anyone would get the joke.