If BD Wins, We Riot!

Seems to me, the Blue Devil member's experience would be enriched if their hard work was met with raucous, standing ovations. As incredible as they are, the members are being short-changed.

Its the MM's personal choice however. Its not our call if the BD MM's are getting their monies worth or not. If they win a ring, perhaps that offsets all the golf claps at the 30 some odd numbered shows. Plus, no doubt some march BD for other than rings or audience response to their shows too, just like every MM that marches any Corps has their personal reasons for marching Drum Corps and for selecting the Corps to do it with.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Honestly Booing is just Stupid! I remember how Asinine it was to see people BOO the Star of Indiana in 1993.

Its been 24 hours since we had our last flashback 20 years ago to the obligatory Star of Indiana mention in a thread on DCP. I was beginning to be concerned. Thanks for the annual/ monthly/ weekly/ daily/ hourly/ mention of the Star of Indiana. I don't think many of us could be happy here without our periodic fix of the mention of the Star of Indiana. Thanks for that public service.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

It seems like one of the key pillars of the supporters' argument is that BD's show is true art and "of course the masses don't understand it" which is why it's so amazing! It's because people are in such deep thought, pondering the layers of beauty that they forget to clap.

And yet these same supporters routinely dismiss the notion that the majority of people don't enjoy their show.

Drum corps is none of that true art, amazing deep layers of whatever.

Look, kids pay to work on a show to try to win a competition, and entertain crowds of people. Most people are drawn to the activity because of impressive loud musical brass and percussion sounds, and intricate notes and marching/visual designs and movements. Staffs put a huge effort to try to create shows that serve this purpose and at the same time be new, fresh, and different. Some are creative, maybe innovative, and sometimes able to effectively get their ideas across. Other times, not so much. You gives it a go, you pays your quarter, pull the handle, and sometimes....goose eggs. What next? Move on, try again next year.

Now, if I fully accept the notion the majority of people don't enjoy the show, I should do what?

Edited by c mor

who was it who said " keep them talking" Good or bad because if they are still taklking youre still revelent.

Oh thats easy. It was either John Boehner or Harry Reid.

Honestly Booing is just Stupid! I remember how Asinine it was to see people BOO the Star of Indiana in 1993. Then in 2007 to see all the Jackazzes in the stands in Pasadena with their misguided mob mentality Booing and talking through The Cadets performance. If you don't like The Blue Devils get a hot dog.

Are you sure it was not coming from the Narrator or the field mics? Kind of hard to tell becuase there was so much chatter coming from Cadets that year it seemed like there was jabber all around you. :)

Edited by camel lips

I like the Blue Devils this year. If they win it all, I am not going to be unhappy. I would like to see someone new- win it-like Crown. I know they eventually will. Especially after what they have done after 2002, when they finished sixteenth with all those guard members were in togas= a bit of a disaster. When they came back in 2003, I knew that they were on a mission.

It seems like one of the key pillars of the supporters' argument is that BD's show is true art and "of course the masses don't understand it" which is why it's so amazing! It's because people are in such deep thought, pondering the layers of beauty that they forget to clap.

It's interesting that you bring up "true art" because I'm reminded of this story:

"in 1964, Swedish art critics were fooled into praising the works of Pierre Brassau with descriptions like "Brassau paints with powerful strokes, but also with clear determination. His brush strokes twist with furious fastidiousness. Pierre is an artist who performs with the delicacy of a ballet dancer."

Brassau's methods? He "preferred eating the paint to placing it on a canvas." Because Brassau was a chimpanzee.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18380_the-6-most-statistically-full-####-professions.html#ixzz2aZNQJ3E8 "

I often wonder sometimes if judges can be fooled like those art critics. If you tell somebody what you are seeing is brilliantly deep and adept "art" when in fact it's just a bunch of unrelated stuff thrown together, I can imagine judges are afraid to admit they don't get it and and just swallow the Kool Aid and declare "brilliant!".

• Like 1

Its the MM's personal choice however. Its not our call if the BD MM's are getting their monies worth or not. If they win a ring, perhaps that offsets all the golf claps at the 30 some odd numbered shows. Plus, no doubt some march BD for other than rings or audience response to their shows too, just like every MM that marches any Corps has their personal reasons for marching Drum Corps and for selecting the Corps to do it with.

People march BD to end their careers. They want to just relax and use their high talent level to kick ###, judges and fans be ######.

Its been 24 hours since we had our last flashback 20 years ago to the obligatory Star of Indiana mention in a thread on DCP. I was beginning to be concerned. Thanks for the annual/ monthly/ weekly/ daily/ hourly/ mention of the Star of Indiana. I don't think many of us could be happy here without our periodic fix of the mention of the Star of Indiana. Thanks for that public service.

Your Welcome!tongue.gif