Allentown Newbie

popvssodamap.gif

The purple is because no body lives there.

Crown stole all their purple pants!

yoccos.jpg

I love Yocco's. Heard more corps gossip and tidbits there than anywhere else. The food's probably bad for you and your doctor will yell at you about cholesterol, fatty foods, and the like if he/she finds out you've eaten there, but it's enjoyable.

I love Yocco's. Heard more corps gossip and tidbits there than anywhere else. The food's probably bad for you and your doctor will yell at you about cholesterol, fatty foods, and the like if he/she finds out you've eaten there, but it's enjoyable.

For those who don't already know, the name "Yocco's" is a derivative of the actual name of the family who established the place. That would be Iacocca, like in lee Iacocca, Ford executive who created the Mustang, later Chairman of Chrysler. The story goes, no one could ever pronounce the name correctly so they chose to make it easier. It's a good dog (not my favorite) and they have about 5 locations throughout the area. The original is located just off downtown in a neighborhood you really don't want to go anymore.

Also, for any of you who enjoyed Youell's Oyster House about 2 blocks beyond Yocco's, it burned down recently. It will be re-built in time for next year. Another outstanding seafood place is about 3 blocks north of the stadium, on the other side of the fairgrounds. The name, Henry's Salt of the Sea. lots of good, cheap eats inside the Allentown Fairgrounds Farmer's Market. It's about half the size of the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia, but equally unique. Many of you will park just a block, or three, from the Fairgrounds Market and never have bothered to venture in. Part of it is underneath the 10,000 seat grandstand that once featured drum corps shows on it's horse racing track!

Though I have found the Friday Allentown schedule on The Cadets website, I have not been able to locate Saturday's schedule. Are you able to provide Saturday's order, anyone?

Friday, August 2:

6:30 Academy

6:47 Mandarins

7:04 Troopers

7:21 Colts

7:38 Spirit of Atlanta

7:55 intermission

8:12 Blue Stars

8:29 Santa Clara Vanguard

8:46 Phantom Regiment

9:03 Bluecoats

9:20 Cadets

Been going to this show since the 70's, and getting a little old for the trek from Union Terrace (S. St. Elmo) across Ham Blvd and up the hill. Is gate 3 (the one at 22nd and Turner) still open? Thinking about parking on Chew street by the cemetery or west of there. Or does someone have a better recommendation?