kingston-racine-inverness-schuylerville

I agree there. Again, there's still too much of a mindset that bigger is better....and not just with the fans.

well yeah it's true. but the class A corps are so inconsistent does it really matter?

• Like 1

well yeah it's true. but the class A corps are so inconsistent does it really matter?

well sure it matters. The class A corps for the most part are growing organizations and better exposure to the public is essential.

I think that this was a part of the wisdom that Tom and company had in mind when creating this format.

And I would think that any die hard drum corps fan can relate to the fact that if the general public did not find entertainment value in corps

with 50 to 60 members throughout the 70's, drum corps would have declined much sooner.

Edited by Windsor
  • Like 3

well, yes. By giving the Class A corps something tangible to shoot for, you no longer see the in and out see em while you can corps that always dominated the start of prelims every year. Quick....how many years did Noble Callahan hang around? hamilton Knights? Braintree Warriors? They came out, got slaughtered and went home, never to be seen again.

Honestly, without A Class, DCA'd be in a whole heap of ####. We'd be back to the 1993 days of 13 total corps showing up. Without class A, we'd never be getting at least 20 or more corps to prelims, because before Class A, it happened once.....that was in 87. quick, go look at 87, then 88...how many of those corps came back?

• Like 4

No, it is not a good idea. The class A corps need the exposure just as much as Open Class.

Absolutely agree.

The current prelims-finals format for Class A is much better than the previous "one and done" format, IMO.

It gives the top Class A corps one more opportunity to show what they can do.

And remember... in 2007, there was a position change at the top. Govenaires won prelims... Sunrisers won finals. With a one-show format... that can't happen.

• Like 3

No, it is not a good idea. The class A corps need the exposure just as much as Open Class.

I'm not suggesting otherwise. I absolutely agree that Class A needs exposure. I just think that having an open prelims with maybe the top 16 scoring corps moving on would put the emphasis on being good, as opposed to being big.

The big problem with this (as Jeff mentioned) is the "bigger is better" mentality where a bigger corps gets the nod over a small corps that may actually be more proficient. It shouldn't happen, but it does. Maybe the sheets need to be altered to correct this? I know in the UK, smaller corps have better footing score-wise because their sheets reward proficiency over LOUD.

I'm not suggesting otherwise. I absolutely agree that Class A needs exposure. I just think that having an open prelims with maybe the top 16 scoring corps moving on would put the emphasis on being good, as opposed to being big.

The big problem with this (as Jeff mentioned) is the "bigger is better" mentality where a bigger corps gets the nod over a small corps that may actually be more proficient. It shouldn't happen, but it does. Maybe the sheets need to be altered to correct this? I know in the UK, smaller corps have better footing score-wise because their sheets reward proficiency over LOUD.

it's not just the sheets. More bodies, more ways to hide dirt. Plus, IMO, too many A class corps design as if they had 50 brass and 30 guard.....visually they try to cover way too much ground

• Like 1

it's not just the sheets. More bodies, more ways to hide dirt. Plus, IMO, too many A class corps design as if they had 50 brass and 30 guard.....visually they try to cover way too much ground

I agree. I also suspect that if a corps felt they could be scored based on achievement, they wouldn't be as inclined to stretch their limited membership too far. Look at the Kidsgrove Scouts and The Company.

While you sit down there not seeing any corps and judging how inconsistent some corps are...consider that maybe it isn't the corps that are inconsistent. The corps wasn't off by that much, in fact in some areas they were better than the week before.

DA

Edited by Donny Drum Corps
  • Like 1

I agree. I also suspect that if a corps felt they could be scored based on achievement, they wouldn't be as inclined to stretch their limited membership too far. Look at the Kidsgrove Scouts and The Company.

I'll gladly disagree. it is the stretching that in many cases causes achievement issues.

• Like 1

The Class A corps are not as inconsistent as the judging for class A corps Don. There were obvious adjustments made at one show last week that weren't made at others. I said that.

The White Sabers went down 3.3 last week from the week before. 2.5 was in one caption. The other was .8 in one other caption. The rest of the scores were equivalent to the week before if not higher. Someone needs to take ownership of that mistake. If the guy the week before was off by that much, why did he judge again in the Midwest the next week and do the same thing?

While you sit down there not seeing any corps and judging how inconsistent some corps are...consider that maybe it isn't the corps that are inconsistent. The corps wasn't off by that much, in fact in some areas they were better than the week before.

DA

yeah that was noticable. While I thought the number at Downingtown was high, I was amazed at how far it dropped

• Like 1