kingston-racine-inverness-schuylerville

Hmm. 14 total finalists, proportionate to the amount in each class, round up favoring the Open Class?? An idea, but it might have its drawbacks just thinking to myself now. I believe the reason they limit to 4 A's is to try and encourage people to grow their organizations and make the move to Open. that makes good business sense and corps who can develop are moving up, which I think has been good for those corps and for DCA as a whole.

Then again, a LOT harder to get into A finals than Open to be honest. A lot more A corps aren't performing Sunday, IIRC, only 2 opens pack up after Saturday this year.

some corps don't want to go up. Govies are perfectly content being Class A sized, and do a ###### god job of it. If there is a flaw to that approach, it's the mindset of...gasp...bigger is better. Up the arms race, add costs etc.

• Like 3

I don't think size is the only factor, but it's certainly a consideration. There's a pretty remarkable increase in performance quality from one end of Class A to the other (and of course the same can be said for Open Class). I suspect a lot of folks plan their arrival time at Prelims based on that fact.

Lets face it. A good chunk of peeps at DCA shows are lot watchers and are there for the party and only go to the stands when "their" corps hits the field then its back to the party or the lot.

Its not usually till the top 5 come on till the stands start to resemble looking full.

• Like 1

Then again, a LOT harder to get into A finals than Open to be honest. A lot more A corps aren't performing Sunday, IIRC, only 2 opens pack up after Saturday this year.

Not really, it's actually much harder to get into Open Class finals, if you use scores as a benchmark.

Over the past five years (when A finals was increased to 4 instead of 3):

The average score required to make Class A Finals is 77.89 (range from 73.713 to 80.788)

The average score required to make Open Class Finals is 84.05 (range from 80.20 to 85.538)

If the lineup were changed to be 9 Open and 5 Class A, Finals would be losing those Open corps that score on average 84.05 (see above), and gain A corps that score on average 76.17 (range from 75.05 to 80.65).

So far, there has never been a Class A corps who missed A finals but would have made Open finals with the same score. In fact, for example, if Bush had declared Class A last year (they were small enough), they would easily have made A finals and gotten to compete again on Sunday night.

Moral of the story: I really feel like the lineup is pretty fair as it is right now (and that's coming from someone who has missed Class A finals by a single placement before... granted that was the year of Ernesto, so maybe I shouldn't even bring it up...:ph34r:/>)

Edited by Spandy
  • Like 3

I was always a fan of the model DCI has gone back to where everybody competes together at Prelims, regardless of class.

I'd like to see the best corps from that show go on to Finals night. Again, regardless of class.

I was always a fan of the model DCI has gone back to where everybody competes together at Prelims, regardless of class.

I'd like to see the best corps from that show go on to Finals night. Again, regardless of class.

DCI does that because the Open Class championship is awarded earlier in the week (prelims Monday, finals Tuesday). If DCA were to use this model, Class A would either have to be awarded earlier, or eliminated altogether.

DCI does that because the Open Class championship is awarded earlier in the week (prelims Monday, finals Tuesday). If DCA were to use this model, Class A would either have to be awarded earlier, or eliminated altogether.

Could be like the old days where Prelims WAS the Class A Championship.

• Like 1

Could be like the old days where Prelims WAS the Class A Championship.

that's a good idea.

• Like 1

Or, combine the classes together both nights (so best 10-14 or so regardless of class move on to finals), and at the end of the weekend, whichever Class A corps placed the highest is declared the winner. (Similar to how the DCA South champions have been decided, I believe...)

Edited by Spandy
  • Like 2

No, it is not a good idea. The class A corps need the exposure just as much as Open Class.

I agree there. Again, there's still too much of a mindset that bigger is better....and not just with the fans.

• Like 3