Elephant in the room

If you want to gamble your $ then go ahead. I am in complete disbelief over the audio from Buffalo, the bad direction on the multicam, and the bad location of the highcam. I saw a video clip someone posted from an iPhone and the sound was 100 times better.

It would be nice if an assumption of mine could be verified: The camera/mic equipment and operating/production staff at Buffalo is not the same as will be at Indy. True? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Indy production should be the usual year-end product. If so, no problem.

DCI has years of experience with Indy ISP/bandwidth. Should not be a problem.

Back end ... anybody know if DCI is using the same capture/process/feed package that they normally use?

These are the variables. All other factors are the end-users' responsibility (receiving ISP, PC video hardware, Wi-fi setup, PC CPU, etc)

Also, if they happen to offer Prelims pre-theater shows on fan network for free as they have in years past, then we will all get a chance to freely sample the quality coming out of LOS.

Edited by mingusmonk

It would be nice if an assumption of mine could be verified: The camera/mic equipment and operating/production staff at Buffalo is not the same as will be at Indy. True? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

From everything I've heard...correct. The crew last night was not a DCI crew, but was instead a "stadium crew".

I've been most critical of the FN quality this year (and they know it, trust me). However, I am completely confident of the capture quality at LOS with Blair at the helm.

Anytime someone else is covering a stream, it's a total crap shoot. (And more often than not, crap.)

I hope DCI is getting an earful of all this. As I said in another thread, start talking with your wallets.

I'm gambling, but I won't be silent if there's issues. I have had issues all season long. did all the tests, call Verizon, tried the different viewing options on 2 different PC's. Didn't watch last night, and I'm glad, but this has been the worst season for the FanNetwork and quality, which is a shame, because this year has had the most offerings.

if this goes bad Friday or Saturday, it could make the issues in 2009 look tame.

Edited by Jeff Ream

And I should point out that I don't have a horse in this race. I'll be in Indy Saturday. I'm just hoping for the free Thursday afternoon feed for selfish reasons. So I can watch a former student while I'm at work.

Good luck internet viewers. :ph34r:

To whom should I direct my ire about the FN this season, specifically the fiasco in buffalo?

For sure I'm going to get the Finals broadcast and pay again next year. How else are people not in a drum corps heavy area supposed to get shows? It's amazing how entitled some people have gotten. 10 years ago, there wasn't a way to watch the Regionals online live as they happened. 20 years ago DCW or DCN was the only way to find out about shows or scores. Now we can sit in our homes in front of the TV with a beer in hand, and friends over, and watch every regional and most of Finals week for less than the price of 1 good ticket to Finals week. Yeah, it's not perfect, but would you rather have imperfect feeds of live and on demand shows, or no shows at all to watch? I like on the West Coast, so when July hits, I don't get any live drum corps for the rest of the season. So Fan Network is really all I've got, since DCI has really started policing YouTube.

Also, Tom Blair's crew will be handling the cameras and audio for Finals. So it will be the same as Finals has always been.

And if you want to make sure you have a strong broadcast for Finals, take an Ethernet cable, and plug your computer straight into your modem. Or put it in a spot where your router is strongest. That's what I do, and I rarely have even a hiccup in broadcast speed, besides last night. Which wasn't handled by DCI, but a stupid stadium crew, just like the last few years. This is just the first time it's been broadcast to Fan Network, but the jumbotron views always sucked in Buffalo

• Like 1

To whom should I direct my ire about the FN this season, specifically the fiasco in buffalo?

I have been on both the Fan Network site and the DCI site and written to both "tech support" or "customer service" contacts with a pretty simple question--what is DCI and/or the Fan Network going to do to assure that I have a quality viewing experience on Saturday night, before I decide to drop an additional $49?

I got an e-mail back from the Fan Network site that my message was "undeliverable". I guess that is probably because they have been flooded with complaints. I have yet to hear back from the folks at DCI.

For sure I'm going to get the Finals broadcast and pay again next year. How else are people not in a drum corps heavy area supposed to get shows? It's amazing how entitled some people have gotten. 10 years ago, there wasn't a way to watch the Regionals online live as they happened. 20 years ago DCW or DCN was the only way to find out about shows or scores. Now we can sit in our homes in front of the TV with a beer in hand, and friends over, and watch every regional and most of Finals week for less than the price of 1 good ticket to Finals week. Yeah, it's not perfect, but would you rather have imperfect feeds of live and on demand shows, or no shows at all to watch? I like on the West Coast, so when July hits, I don't get any live drum corps for the rest of the season. So Fan Network is really all I've got, since DCI has really started policing YouTube.

Also, Tom Blair's crew will be handling the cameras and audio for Finals. So it will be the same as Finals has always been.

And if you want to make sure you have a strong broadcast for Finals, take an Ethernet cable, and plug your computer straight into your modem. Or put it in a spot where your router is strongest. That's what I do, and I rarely have even a hiccup in broadcast speed, besides last night. Which wasn't handled by DCI, but a stupid stadium crew, just like the last few years. This is just the first time it's been broadcast to Fan Network, but the jumbotron views always sucked in Buffalo

there's entitlement, and then there's getting what you paid for. I had some issues last summer, mentioned it on here, people way wiser than me in the interwebs showed me how to test for this and that, wrote it all down, and tried it right away this year...and per the tests, everything was fine on my end. But I still had issues with every live feed I watched this year.

If I am paying for it, it's not being entitlted...it's getting what I paid for. I didn't pay for multiple freezes per corps.....every corpsuntil the 2nd break...at Atlanta. if you feel I'm acting entitled, so be it. I'm feeling like I paid for good service, and I'm not getting it.

• Like 5