Has there ever been a show designed around comedy?

Reading through this thread and I feel 100 years old. Maybe I should stick to the historical page. Bridgemen and VK were a treat back in the day for sure.

Mike

Bill, you reading this?

If you have a Fan Network subscription, totally go watch some Velvet Knights and Bridgemen shows. I promise you'll enjoy yourself! As for the current judging and humor: I don't know if it would work, but I'd love to see a corps like Surf grow into the role if at all possible. But I bet it's difficult to keep that kind of humor up, year after year.

For those of you who have no idea who The Bridgemen were, they once brought out the San Diego Chicken for one of their shows. (I think they renamed it as the Bayonne Chicken?) Yes, they actually had the gall and audacity to do that. (If someone tried that today, they would probably get a Box 1 on Visual GE.)

They also had a ridiculous percussion line, under the direction of Dennis DeLucia. They came out in 1983 and performed their drum solo blind-folded. That took major-league guts.

Yes, go watch some of the old videos of them. Watch their 1980 show, and then compare it to any of the shows on display this weekend at LOS. Then ask yourself the following question: which show would you rather pay to see?

Edited by oldschooldbc
  • Like 1

Yeah, I probably need to brush up more on DCI history--it's just that every show I've seen since my introduction has elicited emotions other than laughter. Sure, a funny moment here or there but I would love to see what a corps can do to design a comedic show around the current judging sheets.

Only caught a bit of VK on PBS but they seemed to be more comedic than the Bridgemens shows. When Bridgemen first came out with the yellow rainslickers with the pimp hats (yeah we caled 'em theat) it was more of a shock because it was unlike the standard uniforms. Kicker was their first song that year was a straight version of "William Tell Overture". Followed by a concert number with a couple dressed in disco clothes for the era *gasp*. More of a "we're talented... but different..." feel. Few years later the comedy bits came into play including the traffix cop, Gene Gene the Dancing Machine (google Gong Show), doing a football game after their Finals show and of course "The Faint" (1977?) after their show which had the crowd rocking.

< / thread >

such a great show...one of my all time favorites....was that also the malaguena year? If not...that was a

great one also...

and while I echo alot of the sentiments on here...I never really saw Bridgemen as a comedy corp...I saw them more as entertaining/fun although they had some elements of comedy....VK...now those were comedy shows...

Edited by G-Rott

• 3 months later...

< / thread >

Classic...one of the best...

My introduction to DCI was the Bridgemen opening fanfare in 1978. I was hooked.

:ninja:

And a better introduction - you'll NEVER see.

One of my top 5 favorite shows of all time!! Still play that show in the car on CD - cranked to 11!! Best moment is the reaction when the corps "faints" at the end - priceless and timeless.

Pat

:ninja:

And a better introduction - you'll NEVER see.

One of my top 5 favorite shows of all time!! Still play that show in the car on CD - cranked to 11!! Best moment is the reaction when the corps "faints" at the end - priceless and timeless.

Pat

One thing about Bayonne back then that some overlook (not accusing anyone) is that they were ROCK SOLID in execution. They would have been killed by the judges if they weren't - it was too different than anyone else on the field.

• Like 1

One thing about Bayonne back then that some overlook (not accusing anyone) is that they were ROCK SOLID in execution. They would have been killed by the judges if they weren't - it was too different than anyone else on the field.

EXACTLY!!!!although comedy seems easy to some they took what they did very seriously. To do what they did and make it entertaining takes alot of work , sometimes more than a traditional approach. That's the difference with those who have tried to take this avenue, if you aren't extremely good at this type of style in ALL areas it can come off cheezy and not taken seriously. This they were masters at it for sure!!!!

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1