Drum Battle

Imagine several thousand people converging on a narrow street where about a hundred folks could actually see what was happening. No bleachers. No raised platform. Hearing drumlines, hearing the (very few that could see) cheer and whoop for the contestants. Well, that was the case here today on Georgia Street.

DCI has an awesome opportunity here if they re-think the logistics.

Was thinking about heading down there but then I saw a few pics posted and realized I was never going to get close enough for it to be worth while.

Did they not do the parade this year for the non-Finalists? Is this Drumline Battle thing replacing that?

sounds like it was GREAT

several thousand showing up - and I know they got quite a few groups involved

seems like the crowd far exceeded expectations - next year I'd imagine they'd move it to a stadium setting since it's proving popular

the minor league field right there in Indy would work if available

glad they came up with this!!

• Like 3

sounds like it was GREAT

several thousand showing up - and I know they got quite a few groups involved

seems like the crowd far exceeded expectations - next year I'd imagine they'd move it to a stadium setting since it's proving popular

the minor league field right there in Indy would work if available

glad they came up with this!!

This is exciting! Logistical problems aside (and it's def. kind of a bummer if the crowds were too large to comfortably accommodate folks), having more interested fans than expected isn't a bad thing. I'll be interested to see how this new DCI endeavor runs next year

• Like 1

This is exciting! Logistical problems aside (and it's def. kind of a bummer if the crowds were too large to comfortably accommodate folks), having more interested fans than expected isn't a bad thing. I'll be interested to see how this new DCI endeavor runs next year

Exactly. And I totally get the OP's frustration - but thank god so many showed up // seems like a great way to get a bunch involved.

I predict next year they'll be 100 groups involved. Think DCA mini-corps on steroids

Did each non-finalist corps HAVE to compete?

Either adding a stage to put the performers on, or adding bleachers around the performance area would make a huge difference in presentation for the Finals week battles. Stadiums are easy - the crowd's already above the lines. But in a street setting, most people aren't going to be able to see what's going on.

Still think these are great ideas by DCI, though, and definitely work as mobile ambassadors.

Mike

Did each non-finalist corps HAVE to compete?

No corps drumlines were required to compete, but many did. We were in the second row from the roped off area and saw Cascades' line, Colts cadets, and a few others before we left. The one HS line that we saw ended up winning the whole thing, even against the corps lines that were there. The only reason we got that close was because the Friends breakfast took place 1 block over and we were encouraged to filter down to the drum line battle area. When we turned around to leave I was stunned at the number of people behind us, and it took us about 5 minutes to work our way out of the crowd!

The actual battles are NOT designed to be for corps drum lines. In fact, the whole effort is meant to draw non-corps performers to the battle area.

I expect this year exceeded all of their expectations and that next year it will be in an area where they can handle the crowds.