DCI's Facebook page

Certainly there is some ABBD sentiment out there. A lot of it, though, I'd wager MOST of it, is that Blue Devils' shows these past few years just really are failing to connect with the audience. A lot of people find the shows confusing and bizarre.

People... most people anyway... don't go to shows from coast to coast so they can primarily sit on their hands. Nor go to shows to see BD lose. Nor go there to boo the Blue Devils. Most go to simply enjoy what a Corps puts on the field for the show production, especially when they know in advance that one of the corps that has won more Titles than any other will be performing in the show that they'll be attending. The fact that fans from coast to coast stood up in droves for the Troopers than the Blue Devils this summer has nothing at all to do with the Blue Devils. It has to do with the Troopers. Period. Likewise, when the fans stood up around the country and cheered the SCV at the completion of their show, it likewise had nothing at all to do with the Blue Devils... nor Crown... nor Cadets... nor Pacific Crest... nor BAC... nor Madison, nor any other Corps for that matter. It had to do with the SCV. Period. What audience responses Corps get after their performance, great, good, bad, or indifferent is primarily of their own doing.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

It was different with The Cavaliers though ... I don't think very many fans deny the genius designs of Michael Gaines, so I think people were enjoying seeing such complicated shows really push the limits of marching/drill.

It wasn't that different, honestly - the gripe back then was "the Cavaliers don't play real music while they march" and "they just write parts to fit the drill they're doing."

When you're on top, it's easier to aim for your back.

Mike

• Like 2

still waiting for DCI to respond to my emails about the FN issues.

maybe I should go to the facebook page

Fan Network was quite terrible this season.

And the finals feed was sub par, glad I didn't pay for it. Just do it right. That's all. And hey... you might just have to spend a little more money to make more money. Cause now you lost my subscription for next year....

And I'm tired of the "it's fine on our end" bs. I can stream anything from any other site no problem at anytime of day anytime of year with NO interruption.

And how about we expand the archive already.

I've been all "oh it's worth it!" But ya know what.. it's not anymore.

It's bad enough it's takes forever just to load DCI.org let alone get to fan network. FITFO DCI... you can't even get your product out to the fans you already have, how will you ever gain more.

I really wish people would stop hopping on to the BD is innacessible meme. It wasn't true this year. Last year's show left a bad taste in most people's mouth, and it biased their viewing of 2013 BD. BD had an engaging show this year. I misunderstand why so many were displeased with it. GREAT show! And, the MMs were very gracious to Crown. They should be applauded for that.

• Like 3

still waiting for DCI to respond to my emails about the FN issues.

maybe I should go to the facebook page

Lots of others are in the same boat...no response to multiple contacts. I saw this comment on their site and thought it would be helpful here:

"There are many of us who have complained about the Fan Network and Finals broadcast, but have not received a response. My suggestion is to send them a 'real' letter via 'snail mail'. That is harder to ignore than the plethora of online requests we have all sent that have not been answered. And, call them at 317/275-1212. Or BOTH."

I really wish people would stop hopping on to the BD is innacessible meme. It wasn't true this year. Last year's show left a bad taste in most people's mouth, and it biased their viewing of 2013 BD. BD had an engaging show this year. I misunderstand why so many were displeased with it. GREAT show! And, the MMs were very gracious to Crown. They should be applauded for that.

Maybe people hop onto that meme because they didn't enjoy the show? Ya know.. their personal opinion of the show? That quite a few people seem to agree with?

Personally I like parts of this year, and last year. But the whole product just doesn't do it for me. And I have to see both shows quite a few times to really start to like. Unlike SCV where I wanted to give a standing O just from listening to a standstill performance during spring training. Or Crown where they blew me away with their showy brass and thought provoking theme (which I also know is partly what puts that shows off to some). It's just opinions. Not every show is going to be accessible to all.

2012 had nothing to do with my like or dislike of any corps this year. I don't even remember BD's 2012 show. It's foolish to try to rationalize our dislike of any corps' show design with anything but the show design itself.