Sound Sport

I know this isn't the ideal location/thread for this question, but it's sorta related... Who won the Drumline Battle???

In terms of the Sound Sport event, it was certainly a learning experience for all. All-age groups getting the chance to play in front of a DCI crowd, during Finals, was certainly worth the effort (IMO). Thanks to everyone that came to see, and thanks to DCI for building/creating the activity. Hopefully it can grow into something awesome!

Thanks to Jersey Surf for sharing the video too!!

It was announced at Finals that e-Sarn drumline from Thailand won the Drumline Battle. They performed at Finals in the pre-show.

I just wanted to mention, I brought my brother to Finals, someone who knows about drum and bugle corps, but isn't a fanatic like me. He LOVED the drumline battle and Sound Sport concepts. He immediately drew the conclusion that it would make the activity a lot more accessible to those who might not be able to form a drum and bugle corps right now, but can build into something in the future. This was without any prompting from me.

The Rocketeers performed at the Huntsville DCI show as a Sound Sport team. For us it was a great opportunity to get in front of DCI fans. It was also a great recruiting venue. We picked up to more brass players for Annapolis and got contact info for about 15 more who were interested in getting involved.

• 2 weeks later...

DCI's schedule of events indicates there was to have been a "Sound Sport Festival" on Saturday afternoon. Was it a judged event? I would guess so from Steve Rondinaro's comments during the Finals retreat that Star United won--playing selections from Appalachian Spring, if I heard correctly. (He also mentioned that they'd be appearing in the "small corps" competition at DCA.) Did anyone here attend this event? Are there more details about how it went?

Is Star United related to Star of Indiana? Alumni?

Sort of... Many Star people. Also Blast! and Brass Theater people. Probably the other incarnations of Star. Maybe some other people as well from other corps with Star brass technique... Something like that.

Star United. They have won the Mini Corps competition at DCA Championships (this year to be held in Annapolis, Aug. 30-Sep. 1) for seven years in a row.

And they are phenomenal. When I saw them in 2011, they won with a score of 100. People in the second place corps (who got a 98, I believe) were heard to say that Star United should have gotten a 105, if the spreads were to be accurate.

It is probably relevant to note in this thread that Star United, a DCI Sound Sport performer this year with selections from Appalachian Spring, and heretofore undefeated in DCA's Mini Corps competition, took second place in last night's competition. They were barely beaten by the Ghost Riders, who also played music of Appalachian Spring. I am reminded of a remark once made (I believe) by Humphrey Bogart, who said that the Oscars for acting could only be fair if everyone performed the same role.

More here and here.

(I guess no one knows the answer to my other question: is it "Sound Sport" or "SoundSport"?)

A SoundSport group in Annapolis has just started. The Argonauts, I believe.

Drumline "battles" have been going on for a several years, and even more officially since the advent of YouTube. You can see battles going back years. I think it is great the DCI slapped a copyright on this name and made the thing official. Hopefully it will take off.

Sound Sport has be out for less than a year, it will take time for the idea to develop and for the logisitics to be worked out. I have a feeling we will see this thing take off in some direction soon. Hopefully it carves a niche that can be filled with hundreds of units.

Sound Sport is a better name than DCI. Maybe DCI should change their name to "Sound Sport"

for marketing purposes only of course ...