Pit Amplification Almost Worthless..You Decide

I don't especially like loud synth or loud pit very much, as a hornline guy.

However, the pit does need to be amplified. Do pits in recordings from pre-amplified days sound good? Of course they do! They were scant feet away from the microphones.

If only there had been pit amplification back when I marched. I would have loved to have been able to plug in, crank the volume up, then drown out the entire brass line with my vibraphone.

I know that it allows other sounds to be heard above the horns and drums - THAT is why I don't like it! I am there to hear the horns and drums and don't want to hear other sounds above them. I know it allows designers to produce all the sounds they wish they couuld produce with the full cornucopia of instruments they've always wanted to use - THAT is why I don't like it! I am there to hear what great drumcorps arrangers can do with 60 horns and 30 drums, because that is a medium that is particularly sublime outdoors - so much so that I would drive for weeks in the summer just to hear it again and again. I don't need to drive to hear synthesizers through speakers - I can do that myself in my living room.

It saddens me to see drumcorps continually diluted because of all this inferiority complex, when drumcorps has a 75-year history of being THE uniquely thrilling apex of acoustic brass and drums.

+10!!!

It is indeed the writing and arranging for acoustic brass and percussion that gives drumcorps its all encompassing soul.

I was appalled at the ToC in Allentown of how bad the amp/synth mixes were. Partially drowning out Crown and the Devils hornline?!?! That's criminal.

I can deal with the amps if mixed well, but the synths I've heard (which is admittedly not a lot) sound like crap. Some music types should remain all acoustic or all electronic.

I think the pits for all the drum corps are so darn good now days!

I like to go and watch just the pits play! Good let's start a new league then! I love me some front ensemble!

• Like 2

DCI Percussion Ensembles are now often featured at PASIC and the room is always packed. A decade ago that would not have been the case. The new generation of mallet players are very into WGI and DCI design, approach and style. Many college percussion performance programs have a few members in the activity. And a large portion of the FE members in DCI are in Percussion studios at their university. There are even classical percussion university professors that design and tech world class pits.

Also classical percussionists have been using microphones and electronics long before DCI had allowed them and classical percussionists who are against electronic use shut themselves out to a vast number of 20th century percussion ensemble literature. They do use amplification!

worthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gif Right on Man! I am really glad we see eye to eye on this!

• Like 1

Miced horn solos are also mostly terrible. Only a few times has it been used with taste. BD pumping the volume and re-verb on their trumpet soloists just sounds AWFUL. The thing I hate the most is it would sound AWESOME if they weren't playing into a mic. And most of the time these solos aren't happening over the corps playing full out. And when it is... most of the time it could probably be heard if projection, staging, and orchestrating were done correctly. Like what BD used to do...

And honestly... the other effects besides re-verb I usually just find cheesy sounding. I know some people say they really dig it. I mostly can't stand it.

Really? You've had this discussion with thousands of other people? Really?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/exaggeration?s=t

Ok..I agree....overstated...it's a few hundred....not thousands. But it is def hundreds.....

Edited by Triple Forte