What parts of the shows aren't being judged?

I'm using the FN semifinals video as my timing guide for the following:

0:00-0:07 Brandt Crocker says, "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to the field, from Allentown, Pennsylvania, The Cadets!"

The Cadets are already set-up: a double line of towers along the 50-yard line (with battery behind each pair, facing backfield) separates a block of intermixed brass and guard backfield on the left from two arcs of brass, with more guard in front of the arcs, on the right. They make a few tiny adjustments, but basically stand still for about 47 seconds.

0:54-1:02 Brandt Crocker says, "Performing their 2013 program, "Side by Side", Drum Corps International is proud to present The Cadets!"

1:03-2:35 The Cadets begin to play the "Adagio for Strings". The guard does saber work. Those up front have five sequential medium-high tosses. The back block moves to the right, passing through the towers. As the guard emerge from this pass through, they sport purple flags. All season long, the emerging lines here were never quite straight (although Finals looked better than ever) because the members can't see each other as they pass the towers. Just one guard member and one trumpet remain on the left side of the field. He plays a solo from Symphony No. 1. The battery, still facing backfield, emerges behind the soloist and begins to play as they turn to the front. The towers are moved into a long diagonal line (from front left to back right), the music swells, and there's a cymbal roll as the brass coalesce into a triangle block at lower right, about to play the show's first big hit.

According to Jeff Prosperie's Finals drum tape (to which InspaDave linked here), all of that last 92 seconds I've described is preshow and therefore not judged.

Who here knew that? I thought the unjudged preshow portion of a show ended when the announcer gave the second introduction. I suppose it doesn't matter too much whether the audience knows or not which part is actually being reviewed, but it might help if, say, a big mistake happens and the scores don't seem to reflect it.

What other shows had portions that weren't being judged even after the announcer finished speaking? Was the moment when the Blue Devils tenor player fell on Friday actually part of their preshow?

the non judged pre-show is designed to be part of the total show that you see.....you may or may not be aware of it, and if you watch the chief judge, it's easyto see when they singal tostart judging.

it's pout on the front of the show because it's part of the total package thecorps wants to put out there.

(Replying to Aaron not Jeff.)

Oh, sure, lots of corps do, but usually the audience can tell, because anything that's judged happens after the announcer says, "Drum Corps International is proud to present (corps name)!" Which is just what happened after the Colts sang, "Can't Help Falling in Love". But the Cadets show didn't work that way. I didn't know they had a preshow until today, and I doubt anyone else did who doesn't work for DCI.

(Saw the Colts at Centerville. Loved the singing. The prerecorded music before that added nothing, in my opinion, and was actually a little annoying. As with most quiet musical preshows, the audience doesn't know when they should stop talking: Is the corps just warming up? They don't seem to be doing anything coordinated out there. Etc. And the stadium staff doesn't know if they can still let people go to their seats or not.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

The non-judged pre-show is designed to be part of the total show that you see... you may or may not be aware of it, but if you watch the chief judge, it's easy to see when they signal to start judging.

It's put on the front of the show because it's part of the total package the corps wants to put out there.

Thanks, Jeff. I don't think most of the audience would know what the "start judging" signal was. I'm not objecting to the practice of a seamless preshow-to-show transition. However, given that no one here, where more than a few corps experts post (for which such non-experts as myself are most grateful), ever referred to the Cadets having a preshow this year, I wonder if anyone but the judges ever knew it, and I find it to be yet another example of DCI being opaque about their rules and procedures. (Speaking only for myself as fan: I had thought, as I watched the QF broadcast, the Cadets might improve their corps slightly if only they could just get those lines straight in the opener. It turns out that didn't matter in the least to their score.) Why was SCVC penalized at Semis, dropping them behind a corps they'd beat the three previous shows? We had to wait for a passing comment in Michael Boo's blog to find out it was due to their warming up too close to Lucas Oil Stadium. Why was SCVC penalized for that but Bluecoats not penalize for interrupting Phantom's show at Akron? Even if you write DCI to ask for clarification, they won't tell you. Sometimes it seems like the "Secret Society" portrayed in the Cavs show could be Drum Corps International!

The chief judge holds his arm up with hand perpendicular to the ground until someone from the corps tells them to start judging. At this time the chief judge holds a finger up and spins it in a circle. In the cadets case. Hopkins stood in front of tony before he did his walking exercises

I knew most of it was preshow. I think the original intention was for the trumpet solo to begin the judged show.

I'm using the FN semifinals video as my timing guide for the following:

0:00-0:07 Brandt Crocker says, "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to the field, from Allentown, Pennsylvania, The Cadets!"

The Cadets are already set-up: a double line of towers along the 50-yard line (with battery behind each pair, facing backfield) separates a block of intermixed brass and guard backfield on the left from two arcs of brass, with more guard in front of the arcs, on the right. They make a few tiny adjustments, but basically stand still for about 47 seconds.

0:54-1:02 Brandt Crocker says, "Performing their 2013 program, "Side by Side", Drum Corps International is proud to present The Cadets!"

1:03-2:35 The Cadets begin to play the "Adagio for Strings". The guard does saber work. Those up front have five sequential medium-high tosses. The back block moves to the right, passing through the towers. As the guard emerge from this pass through, they sport purple flags. All season long, the emerging lines here were never quite straight (although Finals looked better than ever) because the members can't see each other as they pass the towers. Just one guard member and one trumpet remain on the left side of the field. He plays a solo from Symphony No. 1. The battery, still facing backfield, emerges behind the soloist and begins to play as they turn to the front. The towers are moved into a long diagonal line (from front left to back right), the music swells, and there's a cymbal roll as the brass coalesce into a triangle block at lower right, about to play the show's first big hit.

According to Jeff Prosperie's Finals drum tape (to which InspaDave linked here), all of that last 92 seconds I've described is preshow and therefore not judged.

Who here knew that? I thought the unjudged preshow portion of a show ended when the announcer gave the second introduction. I suppose it doesn't matter too much whether the audience knows or not which part is actually being reviewed, but it might help if, say, a big mistake happens and the scores don't seem to reflect it.

What other shows had portions that weren't being judged even after the announcer finished speaking? Was the moment when the Blue Devils tenor player fell on Friday actually part of their preshow?

I saw George give the cue on many occasions to start the judging (usually right at solo end)...I had no problem with that...several corps did the same thing as well.

I saw George give the cue on many occasions to start the judging (usually right at solo end)...I had no problem with that...several corps did the same thing as well.

That's what I said