Why is George Hopkins a punch line?

Um, not exactly

It was the very end of the show and it was coordinated, even DCI was made aware, so they FILMED IT on finals night. The fire station was delighted to help out.

Sirens etc went off when they made the backfield vignette of the firefighters in tribute to those lost or serving on 9/11.

A great moment in a great show! thumbup.gif/>

Well, I never knew it was scripted! Son-of-a-gun! I'll ask around, but I'll accept your explanation as true.

I guess I really can learn something from you, George!

:ph34r:/>

Edited by garfield

George works more than anyone I have ever met and no question his heart is ultimately in the right place.

The issue here is oversharing... showing a bit too much of how the sausage is made.

He needs a communications strategy and clear plan for execution. Between FB and Twitter he as around 8,000 followers, so clearly some people are interested in what he has to say.

But...

When you do have a considerable amount of people connected to you or paying attention to what you have to say, you should be a bit more focused in your messaging and approach.

His communication is closely tethered to the YEA/Cadets brand. Hopefully this summer has taught him some lessons (two clear social media missteps come to mind) on how his communication online can not only impact the brand he is responsible for, but how it can be reflective the drum corps community as a whole.

Very often the public words of a CEO can potentially impact the value of a company. In the context of communication as a representative of this brand, all communication should be carefully considered. Less is more cannot be overstated.

Anyway, there would be less controversy if there was more wondering what he was thinking, rather than knowing exactly what he had for breakfast.

Some of the misinformation and misperceptions on DCP really does bring a chuckle as so many attack others and yet they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about on here. ( lol! )

For the record, George Hopkins arranged for the Fire Dept to particpate with the whirring of sirens and the lights seen flashing in the stadium after the completion of their Cadets show this year at Finals. How do we know this? He is heard and seen telling his Corps this before their show right before they go on the field st Finals that year on the Cadets own Video for the year. I have the video in my personal collection of videos.

The defenders ( and on occasion, the attackers ) of George Hopkins oftentimes have no idea at all what they are talking about on DCP regarding G. Hopkins.

All right. I get it. I stand corrected. I never heard the facts, just the tin-foil hat presumptions. I never said I wear such a hat and I only typed what I'd heard. Now I know the full story.

And that's what many people don't seem to "get," and that is his undying passion towards his corps.

In all my years,and in all my travels, I've never met a single person ( even his many detractors )that do not know that George Hopkins has this " undying passion towards his Corps ". So I have no idea what you are talking about here, if you are encountering in your travels, " many people" ( your words ) that do not fully know that Hopkins has this burning and undying passion for his Corps. I've frankly never met them, nor have even heard of them either.

Edited by BRASSO

There is of course, his attempt to build his YEA with Boston Crusaders, Crown, and Crossmen, all who later withdrew. Although he may have saved Crossmen (his alma mater) by several decisions including the sale to Texas, many of the Crossmen family seem to resent the process.

Oh you bet... and not without with some justification in their minds for how GH conducted things in his dealings with all these Corps. ( and still does even today. )

Edited by BRASSO

Oh you bet... and not without with some justification in their minds for how GH conducted things in his dealings with all these Corps. ( and still does even today. )

Now, BRASSO . . . pull a "Hopkins" here. Tell us all the specifics, and under your real name, too!

• Like 2

All right. I get it. I stand corrected. I never heard the facts, just the tin-foil hat presumptions. I never said I wear such a hat and I only typed what I'd heard. Now I know the full story.

No problem... 5 yard penalty was imposed for the " False Start". Its now 1st and 15, and you are still in field goal range and with scoring opportunities aplenty remaining before INT.

In all my years,and in all my travels, I've never met a single person ( even his many detractors )that do not know that George Hopkins has this " undying passion towards his Corps ". So I have no idea what you are talking about here, if you are encountering in your travels, " many people" ( your words ) that do not fully know that Hopkins has this burning and undying passion for his Corps. I've frankly never met them, nor have even heard of them either.

You must hang out with more members of the Friends of George Hopkins Club than I do.

In 2009, I met an entire visual staff of a top-3 corps that had no idea who I was or what I did for DCI. (My seat at Madison Scouts' home show was double-sold, so I offered to stand on the steps of the press box, where the members of the staff who were standing there to see their corps asked why I was there. None knew who I was, which brought me down to earth...especially since they were the staff of the corps with whom I marched.)

I have met people within drum corps who have no reason to know about George Hopkins or many others whom we take for granted are known to all within our activity. Unlike unicorns, they do exist.

So, even though you've never met a corps person who didn't know about George, at least now you can say you've heard about them.

This is just one service provided for free by your neighborhood Answer Boo.

• Like 4

I guess for me it was on RAMD when he used a comment Rosie O'butthead made on her show to bolster his push for not using military implements ( rifles / sabers )in any manner connected to drum & bugle corps and how weapons send the wrong signal.

After some questions about the flag code, he did finally admit they would follow the flag code.

Really ? he watches Rosie O'donnal and uses HER ideas as a standard for drum corps ?

Later, it was Mr. Hopkins use of Little Geoffery which IMHO, ruined one of the best shows.