Why is George Hopkins a punch line?

Why wouldn't George cross the road?

There were no hash marks.

In all fairness, the 2007 incident occurred because someone forgot to redo the hash marks during the break before the last group of corps in what was then named Quarterfinals. I know from communications with a director of a corps that preceded Cadets that this director told George the faded hash marks were a liability. George and any other director would have been well within their right to ask for the hash marks to be redone...as had been planned during the prior break.

The big beneficiary of George's actions weren't Cadets but Blue Devils, who went on after Cadets and got to march on a well-defined field without absorbing any of the negative crowd reactions Cadets suffered because George stood up for his corps...and Blue Devils.

The big insult was all the above wasn't communicated well and the corps received a penalty for holding up the show. (For those who don't know, the corps came onto the field, then left amid scores of loud boos.) There was a rather lengthy meeting after the show was over and the penalty was withdrawn. I was outside the stadium—but still within the gate—talking with Cadets' percussion staff when George came out of the meeting and informed them the penalty was overturned. He looked like death warmed over...it apparently took a lot out of him emotionally.

And that's what many people don't seem to "get," and that is his undying passion towards his corps. This is part of what led him to create the band circuit that has exploded along the east coast and brought in money for the corps, an act that at the time of creation was strongly criticized for drum corps "intruding" upon the unorganized sanctitiy of marching bands in that part of the country. If more directors had the same type of passion...with vision, fewer corps would be out of business.

• Like 8

Um, not exactly

It was the very end of the show and it was coordinated, even DCI was made aware, so they FILMED IT on finals night. The fire station was delighted to help out.

Sirens etc went off when they made the backfield vignette of the firefighters in tribute to those lost or serving on 9/11.

A great moment in a great show! :thumbup:/>/>

I was aware of it prior to Finals...don't remember how, but I knew about it and was already looking towards the station prior to the show to see the doors go up. The television crew was ready for it as well.

He didn't do anything in violation of the rules, and he didn't do anything that any other corps could have done had they also had a 9/11 tribute planned for the end of their show at the end of the season...and, as George Dixon pointed out, it was timed so it came after the show was concluded. It was similar to what would have occurred had George arranged to have the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ride across the night sky immediately upon the conclusion of "Between Angels and Demons" in 2011, an effect that would have been noted whether or not the Lucas Oil Stadium roof was open or closed.

• Like 2

In all fairness, the 2007 incident occurred because someone forgot to redo the hash marks during the break before the last group of corps in what was then named Quarterfinals. I know from communications with a director of a corps that preceded Cadets that this director told George the faded hash marks were a liability. George and any other director would have been well within their right to ask for the hash marks to be redone...as had been planned during the prior break.

The big beneficiary of George's actions weren't Cadets but Blue Devils, who went on after Cadets and got to march on a well-defined field without absorbing any of the negative crowd reactions Cadets suffered because George stood up for his corps...and Blue Devils.

Uh yeah. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Of course, with all the above bearing some merit and measure of truth, no matter how colored, George with his long tenure at Cadets has hired and then fired probably more staff and instructors/techs than anyone else in the activity according to several reports. Many have gone on to do amazing other corps, especially at Crown and Boston and to some extent at BD and SCV. Stories get told with various inflections in the telling.

There is of course, his attempt to build his YEA with Boston Crusaders, Crown, and Crossmen, all who later withdrew. Although he may have saved Crossmen (his alma mater) by several decisions including the sale to Texas, many of the Crossmen family seem to resent the process.

His personal life, strengths and weaknesses are pretty much in the public with the public judgment and collateral damage that most celebrities endure, just no paparazzi except DCP. (Columbus, Wisconsin; his recent comments about the South, etc. would be examples.) Even if one dislikes the guy personally or disagrees with his decisions and manner of communicating the same, one must at least respect his passion for his corps and cause.

Plus talking about George fills an entertainment need for many during the autumn and winter months of the off-season, especially on DCP it seems. (Do you know what Jim Coates, Kevin Smith, or David Glasgow even look like?)

• Like 2

The man has guts. That frightens those with less guts. So, most attack him from a safe keyboard distance.

..... While a few others type in glorious Hosanna's about the guy from a safe keyboard distance, yet have never had dealings with the guy, or have rarely even talked to the guy, nor have never, or rarely have met him in person either. ( it cuts both ways. )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

Whether one would support Woodwinds to come into Corps, or is a hard line Traditionalist, both camps would have to find this youtube skit as funny as all getout, imo :biggrin:

• Like 1

My problem with this complaint is that the only vocals were the opening Rod Serling bit and the drumspeak in the perc feature....the accusation of talking "at" the audience wasn't really there. 2007 in another matter entirely.

I certainly felt it. If a show simply have any kind of text it tends to disrupt my own personal experience; I have the same problem with Copland's Licoln Portrait so it's most certainly a personal bias. Casting one of my biggest problems with regards to narrators. I can't think of one Cadets narrator/vocalist I actually enjoyed listening to. Why TV shows and movies can go through great lengths to cast actors but DCI judging gets away with shoddy amateurs is beyond my understanding. Though I'm willing to admit Bluecoats casted their boxing announcer very well.

He's not unwilling to speak his mind....it's just that rather often, his mind and common sense have only a nodding acquaintance.

I actually agree with this.

Perfectly timed, during their very patriotic show (ref: 9/11) at a quiet and contemplative moment, a fire (or ambulance) siren was heard in the background outside the stadium. It couldn't have been better timed to blend in with the moment of the show. You can hear it clearly on the recordings.

The tin-foil hat crowd immediately speculated that George Hopkins had arranged for it to be done.

Some of the misinformation and misperceptions on DCP really does bring a chuckle as so many attack others and yet they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about on here. ( lol! )

For the record, George Hopkins arranged for the Fire Dept to particpate with the whirring of sirens and the lights seen flashing in the stadium after the completion of their Cadets show this year at Finals. How do we know this? He is heard and seen telling his Corps this before their show right before they go on the field st Finals that year on the Cadets own Video for the year. I have the video in my personal collection of videos.

The defenders ( and on occasion, the attackers ) of George Hopkins oftentimes have no idea at all what they are talking about on DCP regarding G. Hopkins.

Edited by BRASSO