2013 Attendance numbers are out

Great observation for you non-hoosiers. "Balanced Schedules" is the hot new thing. Roughly, this is a shortened summer break, increasing fall, winter and spring breaks to two weeks. A handful of Indiana schools started it a few years ago. This year, there was a significant shift in the adoption rate of Balanced Schedules. Most school corporations foresee it being mandated soon and would rather get a jump on it.

Avon is even mentioned in this article.

http://www.wishtv.co...s-back-to-class

Otherwise, Semis was the "go-to" night for group band trips around these parts. Good group rates, see more corps. Not fighting competing weekend obligations.

Thank you Sir Monk.

Two questions formulated by us non-Hoosiers:

1. What actually is a Hoosier? (besides coming from Indiana?)

2. Am I to be surprised that the "Fall break" just coincides with BOA Grand Nationals for Avon and with that other "regional" the Indiana BOA bands have at LOS the week before GN's at LOS so that they can perfect the horn angles???

Edited by drilltech1

I'd guess that Prelims clears probably around $250k in ticket revenue.

If tickets were free, just need to fill out a demographic survey, and you filled the house... you would have hard data and a volume of people that you could go after major sponsorships well in excess of $250k.

The key here is that these sponsorships could be multi-channel (event, online, email, etc.) and in year round communication.

The DCI audience is so much higher-value and higher-volume than a lot of events out there that receive incredible sponsorship. This should be a top priority... just don't get it.

Also, for 2014.... it is absolutely essential to drop the individual show names and have a unified tour brand. Makes it so much easier to sell to sponsors and also streamlines and reenforces marketing and media.

Why are there unique web sites out there for each individual show? Confusing.... makes no sense. Should be the exact same marketing and communications plan and materials for each individual city.

This is such an easy change and would make such a difference, I don't really get why it still hasn't been done?

• Like 5

to be quite honest in many ways: Indy is a great city for the championships, but not every year for ever. I went once and will never go again, ONLY because the sound is so horrible that it isn't worth my money. I will go to other shows in its place. I am sure I am not alone. Another reason for the change or stagnation or small increase in numbers is that people aren't going on vacation to the same location EVERY year, unless you have a huge vacation spot such as Hawaii maybe. The rotation of location gave people new experiences and things to do and see. Ten years in the same city is just too much for most. Not for everyone, but for most. The change in the fact that you can now view shows in the theater has for sure made it easier to not go to the show also. Many reasons for different people. It isn't the death knell that most envision. Indy would be fine for the ending place if they are never going to move finals ever again, but at least find a stadium where the sound isn't so bad.

• Like 3

I'd guess that Prelims clears probably around $250k in ticket revenue.

If tickets were free, just need to fill out a demographic survey, and you filled the house... you would have hard data and a volume of people that you could go after major sponsorships well in excess of $250k.

The key here is that these sponsorships could be multi-channel (event, online, email, etc.) and in year round communication.

The DCI audience is so much higher-value and higher-volume than a lot of events out there that receive incredible sponsorship. This should be a top priority... just don't get it.

Also, for 2014.... it is absolutely essential to drop the individual show names and have a unified tour brand. Makes it so much easier to sell to sponsors and also streamlines and reenforces marketing and media.

Why are there unique web sites out there for each individual show? Confusing.... makes no sense. Should be the exact same marketing and communications plan and materials for each individual city.

This is such an easy change and would make such a difference, I don't really get why it still hasn't been done?

Are you talking about all DCI-sponsored shows or ALL shows including local?

Great observation for you non-hoosiers. "Balanced Schedules" is the hot new thing. Roughly, this is a shortened summer break, increasing fall, winter and spring breaks to two weeks. A handful of Indiana schools started it a few years ago. This year, there was a significant shift in the adoption rate of Balanced Schedules. Most school corporations foresee it being mandated soon and would rather get a jump on it.

Avon is even mentioned in this article.

http://www.wishtv.co...s-back-to-class

Otherwise, Semis was the "go-to" night for group band trips around these parts. Good group rates, see more corps. Not fighting competing weekend obligations.

The balanced calendar is just because both parents are working in many households these days and they want cheap babysitters for their kids. No academic benefit.

There is a unified school calendar in much of Europe, for example, with summer break from June 1 to September 1 and 2 weeks at Christmas and Easter... and they're still so much further ahead of the US academically.

It comes down to three key points...

1) Education is seen as a parent's responsibility and the schools are there to assist, not the other way around.

2) Kids are given more freedom, but also more responsibility... so they end up taking their education more seriously.

3) Only core academic subjects are taught during the school day, all non-core subjects and activities are available from 3-6pm. If the parents are working during this time, the kid is required to stay and take non-core classes or participate in activities until their parent is off work.

oldtimefan . . . I'm with you on part of your post. Doing Indy live will never work for everyone, and the reasons why not vary greatly. I want to suggest you purchase one of the Pay-Per-View broadcasts from Indy. I did this year and found the corps to be FANTASTIC when presented in that format. Maybe that's DCI's future.

In this respect, I ask you, and others " How important is actual IN-PERSON attendance in today's world? "

In other words, if in-person attendance at Indy (or any other city) reduces down to 10,000 seats sold, but has 75,000 others purchasing a Pay-Per-View, should DCI, and its fans, feel satisfied and upbeat about the future of this activity? My answer . . . Absolutely!

"The two-day paid attendance total for Open Class World Championship events in Michigan City, Ind. (Aug. 6-7) came in at 1,415, an increase from the previous year, up from 1,308 in 2012."

I wonder what the total attendance, paid or not, was for O.C. championships. As noted here, the total (one-day) attendance at the O.C. show three days earlier in Avon Lake, OH, was about 3,200.

Thank you Sir Monk.

Two questions formulated by us non-Hoosiers:

1. What actually is a Hoosier? (besides coming from Indiana?)

Really, it just means from Indiana. That's the short version of the story, anyhow.

2. Am I to be surprised that the "Fall break" just coincides with BOA Grand Nationals for Avon and with that other "regional" the Indiana BOA bands have at LOS the week before GN's at LOS so that they can perfect the horn angles???

:shutup: Look for Jay Webb's fingerprints all over it. :smile:

DCI itself doesn't see a penny of the concession money (nor do any of the corps). It is a private company that benefits from the event being held in the building, not the other way around.

I know, but I'm saying more people in the stands likely means more money in general spent at Lucas Oil concessions, but it's still a good thing IMO if more people are attending & spending money on stuff

oldtimefan . . . I'm with you on part of your post. Doing Indy live will never work for everyone, and the reasons why not vary greatly. I want to suggest you purchase one of the Pay-Per-View broadcasts from Indy. I did this year and found the corps to be FANTASTIC when presented in that format. Maybe that's DCI's future.

In this respect, I ask you, and others " How important is actual IN-PERSON attendance in today's world? "

In other words, if in-person attendance at Indy (or any other city) reduces down to 10,000 seats sold, but has 75,000 others purchasing a Pay-Per-View, should DCI, and its fans, feel satisfied and upbeat about the future of this activity? My answer . . . Absolutely!

Good question, and I don't know the answer to that as far as how much DCI makes profit-wise from ticket-holders vs stream. I know average ticket price was MORE than the stream for Finals, and while DCI got my money from FN no body got my money at concessions (I know: not DCI's problem but the more $$ concessions make the happier Indy is with DCI) or at the souvie stands.