Drum Corps is About 100 Years Behind

the key in picking music isn't just the music you pick...it's how you arrange it. That's what Dan's missing.

Pick something current, pick something old, pick something latin, pick somethingwind ensemble...just make it flow, and not be an exercise in how many sets until we can get to the next power chord with body underneath it

And to take it a step further, it's not only how music is arranged, but how it is coordinated visually. With the state of our activity visual/audio coordination is the huge key, not just "new wave for the sake of new wave."

• Like 1

Think he's off on the start of folk music/CW... but little late to correct him...

Interesting that a 40+ year old interview is part of the behind the times agreement...

Also, I will FAR take what the directors & designers say/do when it comes to the activity over the armchair designers on DCP who have little/no involvement in the activity

Edit - never mind.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

Daniel,

As a relative newb, I can see how you missed it. Here is the place where you meant to post this stuff.

The "music corps should do" thread

Looking forward to lots of great ideas!

• Like 1

So how exactly do you define an "art form?" Many symphonies, ballets, and jazz bands are largely unchanged from the early 20th century. Does drum corps necessarily fit that mold?

Daniel,

As a relative newb, I can see how you missed it. Here is the place where you meant to post this stuff.

Wait! I see you have posted there previously.

Now I am super confused, you guys!

• Like 1

Daniel,

But... while riffing on the name... wouldn't it be cool to see a mashup of Charles Mingus and Meredith Monk (thought I assume your meant Thelonius)...

BTW - one of the most brilliant Mingus collaborations ever