Someone please explain e=mc^2 to me, because I really don't like/g

Answer after reading my comments, please :)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Considering their title, what it implied, and what was presented, does Crown's show make sense?

• Yes, your comments didn't change my mind
    • No, your comments changed my mind
    • No, I already had this opinion
    • I don't know

The quote you cited above is from the Wikipedia article of the musical piece. However, you're objecting to a Drum Corps performance. At the very least, you should be more clear about what you're complaining about. A recording of Einstein is available on Spotify. You can listen to the entire piece easily -- and evaluate the entire piece of music rather than the excerpts you hear from the DC show.

I love Einstein on the Beach. I've loved it since I heard Erte Productions performed it in in color guard in the mid-1980s (see http://www.wgi.org/n...-Erte-1985.html ). Glass uses the human voice as a musical instrument; the close harmonies in several of the pieces are rather wonderful.

The mash-up of "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" and Einstein was, IMHO, rather brilliant. Based on the audience reactions, Crown managed to bring the 19th and 20th century music together in a pleasing and accessible way.

1. Hear title of Crown's show "e=mc2" .

2. Form expectations of show content based on title and own education background.

3. Be violently disappointed when expectations are not met.

4. Rant on DCP (under the guise of asking for explanation)

5. Ignore all explanations and continue Rant.

6. PROFIT !!

1 and 2 are perfectly reasonable.

3 might be a little understandable (although anyone who thinks drum corps show title's are literal descriptor's might have cause to suspect their thesis might be flawed long before seeing Crown's program in 2013).

4 being personally offended and hating the program...ooookkk.

5 many helpful posts explaining Crown's show seemed to make no impact

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 4

Mission rules prohibit the use of personal music devices while I am in the field sad.gif

It should be very easy to get your fellow people on the mission to sing the mash-up from the first 30 seconds of Crown's performance to you. Nightly.

That should get you some wind for your sails. tongue.gif

• Like 1

I love Einstein on the Beach. I've loved it since I heard Erte Productions performed it in in color guard in the mid-1980s (see http://www.wgi.org/n...-Erte-1985.html ). Glass uses the human voice as a musical instrument; the close harmonies in several of the pieces are rather wonderful.

Wow. Thanks for the info.

FYI: It's listed on wgi.thefannetwork.org, which is currently $35 (includes the historical archive), but memberships expire in November. (I couldn't find it on youtube smile.gif )

I don't subscribe to that side of FN, so I can't vouch for anything on it. Just mentioning it for those who may want to see more EOTB in the marching arts.

• Like 1

I haven't heard this reference mentioned, so here goes:

The hats are literally black holes.

Furthermore, they contain information (on the inside).

http://en.wikipedia....rmation_paradox

The question is, are they destroying the information (the edges of some formulas are cut off) or is the information being preserved?

Erte 1985.

[/size]

Wow. Thanks for the info.

FYI: It's listed on wgi.thefannetwork.org, which is currently $35 (includes the historical archive), but memberships expire in November. (I couldn't find it on youtube smile.gif )

I don't subscribe to that side of FN, so I can't vouch for anything on it. Just mentioning it for those who may want to see more EOTB in the marching arts.

• Like 1

In a discussion about the use of the use of counting in Glass's "Einstein on the Beach"...

You say happy accident, I say lazy writing

There's no indication that you ever bothered to even listen to Glass's full composition. This kind of crass commentary speaks volumes about your arrogance, ignorance, and intolerance to the diversity of musical expression.

DCI (and, secondarily, WGI) has been my primary venue to understand new music. I don't ultimately enjoy all of what I hear on the field, but I do take the time and effort to understand music before coming to judgment. EotB is available on Spotify. As long as you are pre-Mission, you have no excuse for at least listening to the music before making such crass commentary. If I knew who you were when you came to my door (or wherever you contact people on mission) odds are zero that you would be able to sell me anything. Attitude is everything, and you bring far too much baggage to the table. Capiche?

I think Crown's piece is more about the strange loops of Einstein's General Relativity than anything in particular to do with the relationship between energy and mass in Special Relativity. OTOH, Crown's title captures the concept perfectly. My first exposure to the concepts of such strange loops came from Hofstatder's brilliant title "Gödel Escher Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid". It was published in the late 1970s, is still in print, and is still available at retail bookstores (I just bought a copy for my HS-aged niece). The world has gotten much stranger since GEB was published: cellular mechanotransduction means that the function of cells (i.e., their expression of genes) alters based on mechanical signals from the surrounding tissue.

Did I mention that Hofstatder lives in Indiana? :)

• Like 4

I've seen some of what has been made available to the judges in the past, and it often changes so much by the end of the season as to come across later as a different show...because shows evolve so much during the season. I also believe corps generally wish to let audiences evolve in their appreciation of the shows because of how the shows evolve, and because the banter about, "Why isn't that in the show yet?" and "Now where did that come from?" might be so intense on the Internet that it might risk getting in the way of the fans' appreciation of what is actually going on out on the field at the time.

Boo: What you have described here is, in essence, the major issue I have with the current wave of DCI design. a) The GE sheets say 'audience' engagement not 'judges' engagement (which I thing is great); b) If the judges need to be initially 'educated' on a show design, and then continuously 'educated' as to the morphing changes throughout the season, how the h*** is the general audience expected to be engaged unless they already intimately know the original source material or receive that same on-going 'education'?; and that leads me to c) Who in the general paying audience, outside of a few high-brow intellectually minded with a lot of spare time on their hands, will want to spend that amount of devotion to becoming 'educated' concerning a DCI performance? Which, contrary to popular belief by many in DCI, is just a form of entertainment by the majority of the paying audience and not that top of a priority if matters of life.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 3