Someone please explain e=mc^2 to me, because I really don't like/g

Answer after reading my comments, please :)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Considering their title, what it implied, and what was presented, does Crown's show make sense?

• Yes, your comments didn't change my mind
    • No, your comments changed my mind
    • No, I already had this opinion
    • I don't know

What, this part:

Always march if you have the chance to do it. Or else you will always regret it and complain about it on the internet

?????????

Maybe that's his problem? Never got the chance to march, so now he goes to the internet to complain? :tongue:

Thanks for noticing that.

• Like 2

To be fair, you said you knew that the audience would come back if corps changed their show. My words were that people enjoyed Crown's show this year, which really wasn't simple crowd-friendly music. Einstein on the Beach isn't really known for being easily accessible to the masses, and yet Crown found a way to communicate it to the audience. I think that's more admirable in terms of show design than someone playing Malaguena or Children of Sanchez because it's easy to get. That's at least what I saw watching them live this year.

To be fair..., what I actually said was that based on the hundreds of people I had spoken with over the past four or five years (my experience), combined with audience reactions I had seen over the same period (my observation), I made a conclusion on what the audience would like to see/hear and would not like to see/hear. What you said was that your own enjoyment (experience) combined with seeing the crowd reaction (observation) you can conclude what they liked (which I do agree with your conclusion). Nevertheless, we both were engaging in 'speaking for the audience', and to be fair, you did blast me for doing that in another thread.

You have to understand where I was coming from when I first saw this show.

1. As a mathematician and someone who dabbles in physics.

2. As someone who strongly believes in science and its processes.

3. As someone who also strongly believes that our number system, and therefore all science, is inherently broken.

4. Not someone expecting the poem, or the counting.

5. As someone who has used math and physics to escape my own mind.

6. As someone who REALLY wanted to see a stone obelisk at center field during the opener. In my mind, would've been a better prop than the bench. But I digress.

And then I saw the show. And I honestly felt that somehow it was fighting against me. That it was saying in everything up to the ballad/poem, "Look 1 at 2 all 3 this 4 stuff 5 science 6 has 7 done 8." And just like they do in that sentence, the numbers got in the way for me. By using the counting from EOTB, they turned something I used to do as a form of relaxation (math in general, not just counting) into something extremely annoying. Then the ballad comes and suddenly we're talking about two lovers on a park bench that are so desperately relationship dependant that one even says they can't live without the other. That isn't love, it's obsession, and it's unhealthy.

And while I appreciate the sentiment that true love can't be quantified, that isn't what science is about. So now I have this show that was celebrating science, and then fires one at me that says, "But here's love, who can't be tamed by your instruments of quantification, science. Take THAT!" And yes, that isn't what most people got out of it. Pretty much everyone managed to keep the science and the love separate in their heads during the show. But just because I couldn't/refuse do that, you guys can't say I don't have the right to be offended. Yes, it's just drum corps. Yes, it pleased everyone else, so I should just get over myself. However, I will not sit here and let you guys say I can't be offended by it. This show, for me and only ME, was an assault on my beliefs, coping mechanisms, and the things I personally love. I'm not saying it's that way for everyone. I'm certainly not saying that the show was designed that way. I'm not saying that I'm the one with any answers. I came here because I have none. And if people insist on attacking my word choice, and if people insist that I'm the one with something missing, then I'm going to insist that this thread be closed to commenters, if not erased altogether. I didn't utilize an ad hominem argument, and I expect everyone here to do the same.

An earlier commenter said that Crown's design team didn't have a specific message, and wanted to see what everyone would get out of the show for themselves. So while I believe that that is a top notch cop-out to designing something coherent, people need to respect that I was in fact offended by the show and because of the way it was designed, one could argue that was always a potential outcome.

So you've officially spent the better part of one of your few remaining days of freedom #####ing about a bitter tasting drum corps show. Figured someone so into math would be better at time management.

• Like 6

So you've officially spent the better part of one of your few remaining days of freedom #####ing about a bitter tasting drum corps show. Figured someone so into math would be better at time management.

It doesn't 'add up' does it. The strange choice of what to be upset about, the extreme reaction and bizarre extent to which it is clung to.

Then I realized, maybe just maybe this isn't really about Crown at all.

If I were about to go away for 2 years, such a radical change, cut off from so many things I am used to and things I love, I would be freaking out. But if I were expected to be completely positive about it, if I expected myself to be excited about it, there would be tremendous pressure to repress my stress but it would still be there, needing to come out in some way...

Just a theory, not meant as an insult at all. No need to dispute it but maybe just give it some thought. Everything else aside, hopefully there are people one can talk to before undergoing such an endeavor. Caring people who will understand the normal human reaction to things and provide helpful counsel.

Not directly related to the discussion, but in re the counting, personally I found the percussion feature/counting section one of my favorite sequences of the year. Such a perfect build of rhythmic tension up to the amazing, but still tension-cranking brass run (and the awesome orbital drum drill--or hey, maybe it was a crank, too) and then the release of all that beautiful energy into the wild brass+counting+guard-blitz payoff. That's also the most cathartic part of the opera for me (the last 2-3 minutes of "Spaceship", right before Knee 5). I find it incredible how well Crown captures the essence of the music they use year in and year out. :worthy:

• Like 1

You have to understand where I was coming from when I first saw this show.

5. As someone who has used math and physics to escape my own mind.

I've tried escaping my own mind, but I'm always caught before I can get out the door.

Bailey, Abby, Michela, Brittany, and Rebecca. Four of them tore out my heart, but the fifth might be the girl I marry.

Going back to your first post in this topic...if you do marry her, be sure she doesn't hide under any narration.

I'll get back to you when I consciously figure out what I really mean by that.

I don't really understand the big deal when a vast majority of the shows have easily understandable concepts that can be understood after 1 viewing.

in many ways I almost agree. But it is getting harder, and often the ones you can't get after one viewing are the ones that score the highest

Because I'm God.

admitting it is half the battle

:tongue:/>

in many ways I almost agree. But it is getting harder, and often the ones you can't get after one viewing are the ones that score the highest

IMO..there are pleanty of shows that theres enough visually and musically that who the heck cares...crown..just had a good show and who cared about the theme or following a story...jmo