Someone please explain e=mc^2 to me, because I really don't like/g

Answer after reading my comments, please :)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Considering their title, what it implied, and what was presented, does Crown's show make sense?

• Yes, your comments didn't change my mind
    • No, your comments changed my mind
    • No, I already had this opinion
    • I don't know

The first time I saw Crown's show I was pretty offended by it. Given the show title, I was expecting a show celebrating science and human advancement, but instead I see a show that celebrates everything it can't do. I REALLY don't like the counting, and I actually hate the narration (sorry if the guy who did that reads this). If you ask me I don't think a narrated story has ANY place in DCI. It covers a relatively weak ballad. Sure, their hornline was absolutely dialed in, can't deny that. But the music does nothing for me. Especially what they hid under the narration during the ballad piece.

I also did a little personal calculating and found that Crown's hornline is neither playing or marching for a full 26% of the show. That's appalling. I'm afraid in our eagerness for Crown to finally beat BD, Crown became them. Also, I'm not one of the old DCI fans. I'm not even 20 yet, and was only introduced to DCI just 3 years ago. So, this isn't someone pining for the days before b-flat trumpets and amplification.

Anyways, this opinion has not been well received around the internet or among my friends. Given the huge negative backlash, I'm looking for someone who could explain this show to me in a way that would make sense of it all. Anyone who could address my concerns above would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.

ALSO, please don't comment telling me I'm stupid or just don't get it. This is me taking that under consideration and hoping to gain more understanding. Thanks.

Edited by danielray

You have to understand where I was coming from when I first saw this show.

1. As a mathematician and someone who dabbles in physics.

2. As someone who strongly believes in science and its processes.

3. As someone who also strongly believes that our number system, and therefore all science, is inherently broken.

4. Not someone expecting the poem, or the counting.

5. As someone who has used math and physics to escape my own mind.

6. As someone who REALLY wanted to see a stone obelisk at center field during the opener. In my mind, would've been a better prop than the bench. But I digress.

And then I saw the show. And I honestly felt that somehow it was fighting against me. That it was saying in everything up to the ballad/poem, "Look 1 at 2 all 3 this 4 stuff 5 science 6 has 7 done 8." And just like they do in that sentence, the numbers got in the way for me. By using the counting from EOTB, they turned something I used to do as a form of relaxation (math in general, not just counting) into something extremely annoying. Then the ballad comes and suddenly we're talking about two lovers on a park bench that are so desperately relationship dependant that one even says they can't live without the other. That isn't love, it's obsession, and it's unhealthy.

And while I appreciate the sentiment that true love can't be quantified, that isn't what science is about. So now I have this show that was celebrating science, and then fires one at me that says, "But here's love, who can't be tamed by your instruments of quantification, science. Take THAT!" And yes, that isn't what most people got out of it. Pretty much everyone managed to keep the science and the love separate in their heads during the show. But just because I couldn't/refuse do that, you guys can't say I don't have the right to be offended. Yes, it's just drum corps. Yes, it pleased everyone else, so I should just get over myself. However, I will not sit here and let you guys say I can't be offended by it. This show, for me and only ME, was an assault on my beliefs, coping mechanisms, and the things I personally love. I'm not saying it's that way for everyone. I'm certainly not saying that the show was designed that way. I'm not saying that I'm the one with any answers. I came here because I have none. And if people insist on attacking my word choice, and if people insist that I'm the one with something missing, then I'm going to insist that this thread be closed to commenters, if not erased altogether. I didn't utilize an ad hominem argument, and I expect everyone here to do the same.

An earlier commenter said that Crown's design team didn't have a specific message, and wanted to see what everyone would get out of the show for themselves. So while I believe that that is a top notch cop-out to designing something coherent, people need to respect that I was in fact offended by the show and because of the way it was designed, one could argue that was always a potential outcome.

You must struggle with going to the movies, as Gone With the Wind, would actually be a more appropriate title for the Wizard of Oz and Raising Arizona would've probably been better named Million Dollar Baby.

So, since you apparently do need very literal or descriptive titles in order to enjoy something, I suggest the following alternative titles to Crown's program:

• Weird Science
  • The Color Purple
  • Song of the South
  • Beaches
  • Hot Tub Time Machine

Thank you to those who helped me understand e=mc^2 a little better. And while my opinion of the show hasn't changed, I am grateful to you for being patient with me while I continue to learn about DCI and the marching arts writ large. (Especially kcbari (?), Michael Boo, and charlie1223)

Perhaps you can be assigned to Indianapolis for your two-year stint and get another chance to figure out the programming. :tongue:

Just as life is a journey, so is the love, enjoyment and understanding of drum corps.

Be sure to check back in when you come back in two years. We'll still be around and there will be new things to explore, enjoy and be confused about.

So, since you apparently do need very literal or descriptive titles in order to enjoy something, I suggest the following alternative titles to Crown's program:

• Weird Science
  • The Color Purple
  • Song of the South
  • Beaches
  • Hot Tub Time Machine

Porky's 2

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Back to the Future

The Fly

Edited by Slingerland