If Music City gave up

What fascinates me about Music City's case is not that, despite their deep desire and best efforts, they couldn't make a run to the WC holy grail, but that they looked at the financial landscape and decided it just wasn't worth it. They just didn't want to do it because they couldn't see the real-life payoff at the end of the rainbow.

I concede that MC's leaders are much smarter and more experienced than I (and most others who are interested) at starting and running a corps, so why should I not pop my own balloon of seemingly-hopeless dreams and forget about building a successful corps program?

I believe in "Find someone who's a success and do what they do", but MC presents a conundrum to that sage. But maybe not. And maybe that's the lesson.

I don't shrink from a challenge or from the financial requirements, but why should I believe my own possible delusion that This Time It's Different?

(Not meant to be a MC thread. It's the bigger question that prompts input from the off-season deep thinkers.)

Sometimes the biggest asset organizations lack are people. Not enough volunteers, donors etc and the corps key folks just get drained and more drained over a few years

"oh I'll be there to help" and then nada

Just my take on the situation.

What fascinates me about Music City's case is not that, despite their deep desire and best efforts, they couldn't make a run to the WC holy grail, but that they looked at the financial landscape and decided it just wasn't worth it. They just didn't want to do it because they couldn't see the real-life payoff at the end of the rainbow.

I concede that MC's leaders are much smarter and more experienced than I (and most others who are interested) at starting and running a corps, so why should I not pop my own balloon of seemingly-hopeless dreams and forget about building a successful corps program?

I believe in "Find someone who's a success and do what they do", but MC presents a conundrum to that sage. But maybe not. And maybe that's the lesson.

I don't shrink from a challenge or from the financial requirements, but why should I believe my own possible delusion that This Time It's Different?

(Not meant to be a MC thread. It's the bigger question that prompts input from the off-season deep thinkers.)

From reading all the 'official' postings it appears to me that: a) Kieth Hall of the Band Hall provided an initial investment of seed capital; b) After that initial investment, which built the foundation of the corps, they did not create a sustainable revenue source for operational costs apart from membership dues; c) this created a situation in which the corps membership numbers grew each year rather quickly, not really based on competitive grounds, but on the need for those dues as the main operational revenue source; then d) combine this with the many days in between secured shows out on tour in which the corps had to pay out a considerable amount for housing costs each night without a show being scheduled. So, to me, the lesson to be garnered is this: Even if you have enough seed investment to build the foundation of a full-corps, do not commit to touring that corps in the DCI Open Class unless you can sustain a hefty portion of operational costs from something other than membership dues. P.S. I am just glad that the folding happened after they got home and not out on the road like many other corps.

• Like 4

Even if you have enough seed investment to build the foundation of a full-corps, do not commit to touring that corps in the DCI Open Class unless you can sustain a hefty portion of operational costs from something other than membership dues. P.S. I am just glad that the folding happened after they got home and not out on the road like many other corps.

On the larger topic at hand I agree with Buckner8, to which the logical response is to swallow your pride and just. Go. Local. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. See: Impulse, Thunder, Gold.

I begged and pleaded with Music City on numerous Facebook posts to not give up. I'm hearing rumblings that not everyone has lost hope. Incidentally, there's a group called Music City United Drum and Bugle Corps that has well over 1k likes on Facebook and have stated their desire to be a DCI Open Class group. It has no intention of giving up.

https://www.facebook.com/mcuopen

Edited by Barifonium

On the larger topic at hand I agree with Buckner8, to which the logical response is to swallow your pride and just. Go. Local. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. See: Impulse, Thunder, Gold.

I begged and pleaded with Music City on numerous Facebook posts to not give up. I'm hearing rumblings that not everyone has lost hope. Incidentally, there's a group called Music City United Drum and Bugle Corps that has well over 1k likes on Facebook and have stated their desire to be a DCI Open Class group. It has no intention of giving up.

https://www.facebook.com/mcuopen

Whether we agree or disagree, whether we like it or not, Kieth Hall and the Band Hall financed pretty much the entire seeding capital which ultimately makes it his call; maybe he does not desire to engage his corps in SoundSport or SDCA or non-competitive local community events; who knows; but we do have to accept that it is his call to make.

I just received this quote this morning. Maybe it's part of the answer I seek:

"I have learned throughout my life as a composer chiefly through my mistakes and pursuits of false assumptions, not my exposure to founts of wisdom and knowledge."

Igor Stravinsky

Composer

Whether we agree or disagree, whether we like it or not, Kieth Hall and the Band Hall financed pretty much the entire seeding capital which ultimately makes it his call; maybe he does not desire to engage his corps in SoundSport or SDCA or non-competitive local community events; who knows; but we do have to accept that it is his call to make.

I really don't want this to become a MC thread, although I recognize that they are the most-recent example and their situation was different than most. Since Star, actually. MC WAS winning, and moving up, and attracting a full audition. They threw in the towel when seemingly on a winning run. There weren't long years of decline to foretell their demise.

I'm more interested in how this is not a huge negative incentive to the next guy or gal with the desire to build a corps. Yes, there are those who will be fully satisfied "staying local", but there's an equal number, I'd bet, who have dreams of making it into the big time - WC, and the top 12.

For that second group, what would be the driving motivation to ignore the MC example and convince (or delude) oneself that "This time it's different"?

The short answer might just be a combination of comments here - volunteers, financial independence, accepting that it will take longer than one probably expects to become financially independent which means a longer commit time for backers, the lack of exposure in Open Class...

Doing those better makes it "different this time"?

I really don't want this to become a MC thread, although I recognize that they are the most-recent example and their situation was different than most. Since Star, actually.

How can it not be an MC thread with that set up and now that you introduced Star...

So what did they have in common, Star and MC, they were both side projects of other, existing, successful businesses

And maybe that was the problem

Drum corps is hard work where money and passion are both critical; a sort of give it my all, do or die kind of thing. Perhaps being naive or crazy is an asset as well

But when you have a fall back, a plan B that has a much better pay-out, it’s easier to walk away as much as that seed money was an asset it could have been a liability - pretty much the same as it's always been, many great corps were carried on the backs and wallets of their leaders

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 1

I really don't want this to become a MC thread, although I recognize that they are the most-recent example and their situation was different than most. Since Star, actually. MC WAS winning, and moving up, and attracting a full audition. They threw in the towel when seemingly on a winning run. There weren't long years of decline to foretell their demise.

I'm more interested in how this is not a huge negative incentive to the next guy or gal with the desire to build a corps. Yes, there are those who will be fully satisfied "staying local", but there's an equal number, I'd bet, who have dreams of making it into the big time - WC, and the top 12.

For that second group, what would be the driving motivation to ignore the MC example and convince (or delude) oneself that "This time it's different"?

The short answer might just be a combination of comments here - volunteers, financial independence, accepting that it will take longer than one probably expects to become financially independent which means a longer commit time for backers, the lack of exposure in Open Class...

Doing those better makes it "different this time"?

I think it takes an understanding that Drum Corps is a money toilet that constantly drains money and never stops. It seems that having a support business like the Bus Company Star of Indiana had really helped sustainablility. Cook or whoever was running Star lost interest in the DCI game. They had a good model.

I also think a Corps staying power is dictated by the Board of Directors who often lose interest, faith or whatever and end up folding corps. It takes a great deal of tenacity to keep going year after year. If the person or people running a corps get a weak stomach that will finish a Corps. It's a long term commitment and it's not always going to be a fun time.