Why USMC D&B Corps wasn't in Indy

This thread does not have to become political at all as long as we do not point fingers, discuss political parties, or play the name game. DCI is a 'tax' exempt organization; the individual DCI corps are 'tax' exempt organizations; the USMC D&B Corps is a 'tax' funded organization. That, by definition, places these corps in the realm of 'tax' payer concerns not political concerns. And I, for one, think it would be a good will gesture if DCI offered to pay for the service of the USMC D&B Corps thus alleviating that cost burden from the 'tax' payers. That is not political.

Except to mention, the "Commandant's Own", Blue Angels, etc. defined purposes and existence, for the most part, is to take part in general public exposure events. That is (one of) these type of entities purposes. In addition, typically, the performance requesting body (whomever it may be) does supply/provide (for the most part and as example) logistical assets to make these performances happen at the requesting element's expense.

Sadly, this is political in nature and the blame can be shared by many.......but not to be shared by these performance groups who's focus (of several) is to perform as a service to the citizenry of our country. Their budgets are the size of a mite on the moon, if even that large.

It's a travesty among travesties.

Except to mention, the "Commandant's Own", Blue Angels, etc. defined purposes and existence, for the most part, is to take part in general public exposure events. That is (one of) these type of entities purposes. In addition, typically, the performance requesting body (whomever it may be) does supply/provide (for the most part and as example) logistical assets to make these performances happen at the requesting element's expense.

Sadly, this is political in nature and the blame can be shared by many.......but not to be shared by these performance groups who's focus (of several) is to perform as a service to the citizenry of our country. Their budgets are the size of a mite on the moon, if even that large.

I am not sure where the US Marines D&BC falls administratively, (although they are stationed in DC at 8th & I), but so far as the US Navy Blue Angles and USAF Thunderbirds are concerned, I do know that they are considered (among other PR things) as recruitment tools. "See the cool fast jets - YOU can work on these jets - Join the USAF" if you will. I also know that at the Hershey contest in 2005, the US Marines D&BC was performing, and had a recruitment table as well (giving out free copies of their CD, by the way). There were also other (not D&BC) US Marine recruiters there. Maybe that is part of the key to getting them to DCI - let them set up a recruitment stand. Heck, after a season of Drum Corps, most marchers could meet the physical & mental demands of boot camp easily.

Alternatively, paying for the US Marines D&BC to come from DC to indy to perform would cost probably $80-$100K to bring them out to perform (TDY travel plus per diem for approx 85 members if they flew; less in travel but more in per diem if via buses). I believe DCI could better spend that kind of money elsewhere.

IMO, compared to many other services within the military, the defined purpose of existence you stated for those groups is rather low on the priority list when the country is $17,000,000,000,000 in the hole and increasing that debt at $10,000 per second. However, I also have stated that if the entity requesting the service of that group is paying the expenses, not the tax payer, that it is fine with me.

Sadly, this is political in nature and the blame can be shared by many.......but not to be shared by these performance groups...

Keeping the books in the black is not a 'political' issue it is a 'responsibility' issue; just like the responsibility to keep a business in the black and the responsibility to keep a family financially safe. And as for your premise that the burden of the massive debt should not hurt the performers, here is what you are in essence saying, "If you are a parent and in massive debt, don't you dare cut that trip Disney World because the burden should not be shared by the kids".

... who's focus (of several) is to perform as a service to the citizenry of our country.

Again I get back to 'priority of service'; when 'that' much national debt has been accrued, and spiraling out of control at a rocket-ship pace, tough decisions have to be made concerning what services are required and what are not. (I do concede this is where the ugly side of politics rears its ugly head; and we get into the situation of , "Yeah I am for cutting spending, but do not dare cut what I or my constituents are interested in".)

Their budgets are the size of a mite on the moon, if even that large.

Benjamin Franklin once penned, "A penny saved is a penny earned". And once again I get back to prioritizing service; when a Family is in massive debt, all things not 'required' should be cut at least for the duration of righting the ship. So cutting that smart phone app which only costs a small $1.00 per month, though the size of a mite on the moon, is the responsible thing to do until the massive financial debt issues are corrected.

This we agree on.

• Like 2

IMO, compared to many other services within the military, the defined purpose of existence you stated for those groups is rather low on the priority list when the country is $17,000,000,000,000 in the hole and increasing that debt at $10,000 per second. However, I also have stated that if the entity requesting the service of that group is paying the expenses, not the tax payer, that it is fine with me.

but surely higher on the priority list (and cheaper) than the billions spent on a fighter jet engine that the military doesn't want and will never use.

Really unfortunatesad.gif

I got to see them in Maryland for DCA though, they did really well. We had to leave before it was over to get back to the bus though, oh well.

A representative at the Marines' booth in Lucas Oil Stadium suggested that drum corps fans write to their elected representatives in Washington, DC, telling them how important the goodwill is in having the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps at the DCI World Championships, how important having the corps there is to DCI fans, and why special efforts should be taken to get the corps back to the World Championships in the future.

Even if one doesn't feel that having the Marines' drum corps travel to DCI is a financial priority at this time, it may be worthwhile to send your representative a note --if you are so inclined-- merely supporting the group's existence. After all, if further tough financial decisions are going to be made, one of those might be that the Commandant's Own isn't worth funding at all, never mind whether they get to DCI.

but surely higher on the priority list (and cheaper) than the billions spent on a fighter jet engine that the military doesn't want and will never use.

I will not get drawn into a 'political' debate concerning the issue of a redundant F-35 Joint Strike Fighter engine; but I will state that a reliable F-35 military aircraft engine does take priority over a performing military marching drum corps. Unless, of course, each musician can do what Christopher Reeve did in the movie Superman by grasping a hold of the aircraft and function as the replacement engine.

Even if one doesn't feel that having the Marines' drum corps travel to DCI is a financial priority at this time, it may be worthwhile to send your representative a note --if you are so inclined-- merely supporting the group's existence. After all, if further tough financial decisions are going to be made, one of those might be that the Commandant's Own isn't worth funding at all, never mind whether they get to DCI.

If my family's financial situation came anywhere close to reflecting the country's, I would set them down and say, "We are in a dire situation. Yes we all loved the cable TV premium package and we have already attempted to alleviate the debt issue by going to the basic package along with me getting a supplemental job on top of my full-time job; but at this juncture we cannot even pay for that basic package and pay our electric bill let alone our mortgage because we have, for many years, overspent our budget; we did this even in times where we increased our revenue because we decided to increase our debt spending instead of paying off debt; so until we can get our debt under control, the cable TV is being completely cut". Sorry N. E., but that is also my opinion of the military music units when the country is in such a MASSIVE debt; and as business owner I cannot afford to pay more taxes; and I cannot contentiously support a spiraling out of control spending process engaged by the national government; and unless the cuts in national spending make a real impact on the national debt increasing my taxes or begging the congress to save the Commandants Own will not solve the issue.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

If my family's financial situation came anywhere close to reflecting the country's, I would set them down and say, "We are in a dire situation. Yes we all loved the cable TV premium package and we have already attempted to alleviate the debt issue by going to the basic package along with me getting a supplemental job on top of my full-time job; but at this juncture we cannot even pay for that basic package and pay our electric bill let alone our mortgage because we have, for many years, overspent our budget; we did this even in times where we increased our revenue because we decided to increase our debt spending instead of paying off debt; so until we can get our debt under control, the cable TV is being completely cut". Sorry N.E., but that is also my opinion of the military music units when the country is in such a MASSIVE debt; and as business owner I cannot afford to pay more taxes; and I cannot contentiously support a spiraling out of control spending process engaged by the national government; and unless the cuts in national spending make a real impact on the national debt increasing my taxes or begging the congress to save the Commandant's Own will not solve the issue.

Yes, well, if enough people agree with you, then there will be no more Marine Drum & Bugle Corps, and if enough people agree with Michael Boo, they will not only continue to exist but will be able to make more appearances. As for the underlying economic and political causes (as to whether a significant part of that massive debt, for instance, is caused by a combination of two unfunded wars and tax cuts), it's simply not going to be possible for us to discuss them here. Suffice it to say my views are probably contrary to yours.