Boston Crusaders

Pretty funny people would be offended by Crusaders. What do you suppose the letters BAC stood or stand for.

Bad Asss Crusaders at it's conception. Here we go again. Years later, Boston Area Corps was used at times for certain situations.

I had written a completely tongue in cheek article for Drum Corps World on this topic several years ago. When I wrote the article, a group of Christians had just visited the Holy Land to apologize for what their ancestors, the medieval crusaders, did in the 11th-13th centuries; annihilate Jews and Muslims in the name of religion. I questioned whether I, as a Jewish Crusader, was a traitor to my creed. As I found some politically incorrect problem with each corps' name I suggested an alternative. Since the Glassmen and Crossmen were sexist names, I even suggested my name would be changed from Kellerman to Kellerperson.

By the way, if we are actually going to be ‘correct’ within ‘correctness’ there is no such thing as Native American; no race is really Native to the Americas; the correct terminology would actually be First Homosapiens to traverse into America. However I suppose if we want to be PC these days we cannot use the word Homosapien, so we must say Human; but then we will offend the Animal Rights Activists who claim Animals are People too; so we must use the word Animal; but what about all those who believe that all life, animal and organic, has self-worth rights and soul reincarnation; so I guess we must use the hyphenated word Life-Being to qualify that Humans are part of all life. And on top of that the word American is considered offensive by some because it uplifts the European Amerigo ‘Americus’ Vespucci, so we should use the term Western Hemisphere; but even then we are referring to the land using English Language; but what the hey, shafting the French is considered ok in many parts of the world so we can stay in the English Vernacular. So, to that end, I contend we should not offend by saying Native American but to use the terminology: “First Life-Being Human Species to Cross the Bearing Strait and Inhabit the Western Hemisphere by forcibly taking the land away from all other Life-Beings”. Hmmm, on second thought….

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

With all the talk about the Washington Redskins' name as being insensitive, at the least, I

propose some off-season thinking; what about Boston? Will they need to change their name someday soon?

Do people even know what a Crusader was or is it so outdated they don’t know about it and dose that even matter? Should DCI involve itself in the debate?

And if they do change their name, what should the new name be?

You've go to be kidding us!

With all the talk about the Washington Redskins' name as being insensitive, at the least, I

propose some off-season thinking; what about Boston? Will they need to change their name someday soon?

Do people even know what a Crusader was or is it so outdated they don’t know about it and dose that even matter? Should DCI involve itself in the debate?

And if they do change their name, what should the new name be?

Well, since Boston is close to Cambridge, and the Charles River is used by Harvard for boating competitions...lets change their name to the Boston Crewsaders. :tounge2:

• Like 2

Well, since Boston is close to Cambridge, and the Charles River is used by Harvard for boating competitions...lets change their name to the Boston Crewsaders. :tounge2:

Head of the Charles races were this past weekend. Always a great event to watch if not competing.

I don’t think Boston should change their name but some day they might have to and I wouldn’t object to that either… you folks better come up with a better defense of the name though

Most of this is an appeal to emotionalism, not reason. Objecting to something because its ‘PC’ says more about you than the issue and is worthless in the debate. It’s mushy thinking at best and often means you’re already on the wrong side of history.

Just think what was called PC during the Civil Rights Movement

Many people are offended by this name, probably about a billion world wide (or at least the translation of)…demographic, political shifts, a group gaining a louder voice could change the perception right quick

And will you tell them they are wrong?

what would you say today if confronted by such an offended person publically, your friend perhaps?

I think general ignorance, acceptance of it as a commonality are what gives it a pass now.

Ignorance will go a long way

I don’t think Boston should change their name but some day they might have to and I wouldn’t object to that either… you folks better come up with a better defense of the name though

Most of this is an appeal to emotionalism, not reason. Objecting to something because its ‘PC’ says more about you than the issue and is worthless in the debate. It’s mushy thinking at best and often means you’re already on the wrong side of history.

Just think what was called PC during the Civil Rights Movement

Many people are offended by this name, probably about a billion world wide (or at least the translation of)…demographic, political shifts, a group gaining a louder voice could change the perception right quick

And will you tell them they are wrong?

what would you say today if confronted by such an offended person publically, your friend perhaps?

I think general ignorance, acceptance of it as a commonality are what gives it a pass now.

Ignorance will go a long way

Ignorance certainly does go a long way; for example the ignorance which today slanders a great and wonderful protagonist in a great and wonderful book by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

If they were my friend, I would pick up the tab for their steak and brew... cowtown.