Overall Quality?

Mini-Corps are not competitive corps. They are not performing (usually) on a field with drill. They are designed for smaller venues, or as exhibition filler.

agree. any competitive corps with less than 35 generally has not been good to watch.

• Like 1

agree. any competitive corps with less than 35 generally has not been good to watch.

So, if Star United were to take their Mini Corps performance from 2011, 2012, or 2013, and perform it as an undersized Class A corps, would they suddenly not be entertaining anymore?

Apples and oranges. Would they be as entertaining as the Class A? No, because they didn't have the drill that matched up to it, no guard, no marching percussion, etc.

You can't make a comparison of a mini-corps to a Class A corps, plain and simple.

Musically they are very entertaining, but they are not a competitive corps in conjunction with what the expectations for a competitive marching corps are, they would be murdered on those sheets.

Which do we care more about as spectators?

As people trying to grow Drum Corps?

First answer: I like both....

Second answer: both can help

I've seen corps with as low as 7 or 8 members doing a field show some years back. I found it entertaining but wouldn't want too many corps of that size to fill up a show. IIRC, part of the 35 or more rule was because some spectators were not happy that in a 5 or 6 corps show there were 1 or 2 of the under 35 members corps. Those spectators didn't think they were getting their moneys worth.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Which do we care more about as spectators?

Which do you care more about as a spectator?

3. Some may not want to hear this... but the 35 people rule WORKS... corps with fewer than that were simply not able to entertain

WEll it works allright.

Depending on your definintion of working.

You are seeing almost ZERO start up corps coming to DCA now days. Some of those corps might just have fallen through the cracks because of the 35 rule. I bet of you asked them if they could entertain the answer would have been yes. I bet if you asked the audience the answer would be yes they could entertain.

But lets protect the show sponsors and kill the growth of DCA and keep that 35 rule. It Works!

But lets protect the show sponsors and kill the growth of DCA and keep that 35 rule. It Works!

My understanding in the case I heard was the show sponsor was told by audience members that if they had "too many" smaller corps next year those audience members would not be back. Lose enough of those people and *yikes*

Between rock and ye olde hard place IMO as those shows and sponsors help pay the corps bills.....

• Like 1

So, if Star United were to take their Mini Corps performance from 2011, 2012, or 2013, and perform it as an undersized Class A corps, would they suddenly not be entertaining anymore?

key word....generally. Please read my entire post and all of the words. it helps you from trying to paint me into a corner I do not belong in.