How are Colts able to maintain more than one corps?

I have to start out by saying I am extremely impressed with the Colts organization. I have always been a fan, and think they have put out some amazing shows over the years, especially 99 and 07.

The question is, how have they managed to keep a feeder corps, when so many of the powerhouse corps, like Madison Scouts and Phantom Regiment have not been able to support multiple corps? And if I am not mistaken, don't Colts also sponsor/support a vocal organization too?

I know Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard both have feeder corps as well, which is great, but it seems from the outside looking in they have a lot more support than Colts do. Their souvie stands are always packed at small shows and finals it seems like, while Colts don't seem to get much of a line(with the exception of 2012 when it seemed like more people were supporting them and Jersey Surf for their fan friendly shows).

So how is a corps that has only been in the top 12 one time in the last decade, able to field multiple corps? And if I am not mistaken, Iowa has lost every other corps that has come from there, unless there are active corps there that aren't attending finals. But even on the DCI schedule I don't recall seeing any other corps from Iowa listed since Emerald Knights or Nite express folded.

They must either have great management, or tremendous community support? It just really surprises me, that when so many corps are folding, that Colts are still able to maintain multiple corps. I really hope they can maintain both corps for many years to come. It is so great to see groups like Colt Cadets and Blue Devils C giving really young kids a chance to do drum corps, and hopefully move up to another corps in that organization.

• Like 1

I believe it has everything to do with commitment. They're committed to doing it, and so they find a way to make it work.

• Like 3

At the DCI parade in 2012, I was standing near some people who got very excited about the Colts passed. Colts and Colt Cadets marched together in the parade. They loved the two drum majors and raved about Colts DM and what a leader he had become. My guess is he went through Colts Cadets and Colts. It turns out they were chaperons with Colt Cadets and they spoke about how they had tricks to help the younger kids battle home sickness, the behavioral and musical expectations placed on the kids, and the efforts to keep the kids fed.

Regarding Colts, they are just a class act, period, and if they're not, they hide it well.

So I would agree with Michael Boo that commitment is key, but they also seem to know how to manage two units with different needs and different age groups.

• Like 2

My guess: The Colts organization certainly factors in competition on the field; they do attempt every year to make the World Class top 12 at Finals. However, it appears that they are concerned about the younger-age youth engaging in the activity 'as a moderate spending organization with both and A corps and an educational B corps' more than an organization which only has 'one WC corps going for the win at the cost of raising and spending multi-millions of dollars per-year', or even spending more multi-millions than that per year for an A corps going for the WC ring and a B corps going for the OC ring.

The Cadets 2 was started up a couple of years ago, too.

http://www.yea.org/site/PageServer?pagename=cadets2

:ninja:

C2 is an all-age corps - and Allentown ain't Iowa..

Population concentration in one area also means more access to funding.

Gotta give my friends down river some Upper Midwest love.. :wub:

They certainly seem to find a way.. :worthy:

Pat

Pat

• Like 1

If you look at the organization's finances, they are much healthier than many corps far above them in placements. It appears they aren't willing to make the sacrifices it takes to be a champion at the expense of serving what they see as their primary mission. It's fairly clear that while they want to improve into a finalist corps, there are other priorities at work as well.

• Like 1

C2 is an all-age corps

I thought that Cadets2, though competing as an all-age corps, chose to restrict membership to young members--is that not so?

I thought that Cadets2, though competing as an all-age corps, chose to restrict membership to young members--is that not so?

I believe they have a self imposed age limit of 26... unless you play important instruments that they might need, like perhaps tuba. But in general they stop at 26. It's mostly high school kids, from my understanding.