Spirit of Atlanta...

JKT90

I've always thought a great show for Spirit would be "The Johnny Mercer Songbook." Play all music that was written or co-written by Savannah, Ga., native Johnny Mercer. Surely there's a good show among these possibilities:

• Like 1

Guessing you're referring to my post here, apologies if you are not. The American South has a pretty vast and diverse musical culture. Most of the musical genres indigenous to the US originated there, there's a rich folk music culture, and more than a few classical and wind band composers have come from the South. And then there's all kinds of music that, while it did not originate in the South, is inspired by it. It seems like you, SOA, and many others seem to think of "Southern" as just the stuff Spirit played in its glory days. And if it that's what Spirit thinks its indentity is then of course that will be limiting. But that's not a problem with being the "Southern" corps, it's a lack of imagination and awareness on the part of designers, alumni, and fans. The same logic could be applied to Troopers and Pioneer. "Americana" and "Celtic" are only limitations if you allow them to be limitations.

You are correct with your information regarding the music culture and birthing of much American music south of the Mason-Dixon line. I do think that when people want Spirit to be "southern", it is how SOA defined it in the past. If the corps did all music written by a wide array of famous southern composers, I am not sure we would hear or see it as "southern". I think they were on the right track the past three or so years with including some Spirit-esque things, but incorporated into show themes that allowed for a broad range of source music and imagery. I found the corps to be regaining their old brand of swagger but with a new twist that allowed them to be more creative and competitive. I am sure their designers set out to create the next best show for themselves. But that is never easy nor successful. Yes, Troopers and Pioneer have similar struggles. I would not want the responsibility of making any of those groups climb in ranking. I would suggest we look to Madison and that despite their recent mild climb and successful rebranding of themselves, are finding it tough to move much, if any.

Well if Spirit truly wants to be a "Southern" DC, then maybe they should play, "Smoke on the Water" and adopt Grambling State's marching style. Kidding of course.

Well if Spirit truly wants to be a "Southern" DC, then maybe they should play, "Smoke on the Water" and adopt Grambling State's marching style. Kidding of course.

ummm. really? Kidding or not. really?

Do you think some corps are content with their non profit status and as a side shoot they field a corps too? Meaning the only reason the corps exists is to run the non profit and they aren't as concerned about "investing" into moving up the ranks? Kind of like the Chicago Cubs exist to put money in the owners bank account, they aren't interested in winning a world series, or the Cleveland Browns for that matter, while other organizations such as the Patriots are committed to winning Super Bowls, or the Yankees...relating corps to sports to draw a parallel.

Just a thought that occurred to me...

When Spirit first hit the scene in 1977, I felt there were geographical distinctions in corps. Now I am speaking in general, and these characteristics were shared to some degree among all the regions, but the Northeast corps such as 27th, Bridgemen, BAC, Garfield,and North Star had a certain grittiness, don't mess with me style. The Midwest had a more populist appeal as we saw with Blue Stars, Madison, Cavies, and Phantom. In the West, Blue Devils, SCV, and Anaheim Kingsmen who were still making some noise at that point were the standard bearers and innovators. Spirit had a certain style that was different. They performed some "southern" pieces but they were defined by a swagger and power. This made this southern corps distinct, I suppose a few years later we saw some of these characteristics in Suncoast Sound in style if not musical choices.

Now it has been over thirty years since we heard some of the Spirit classics such as "Sweet Georgia Brown" (yes I know it was performed last year but not like 79 or 80) or the closer that can still bring tears to people's eyes "Let it Be Me" (if you think I'm kidding, watch the video of their performance after learning of the death of Jim Ott; the thought of 128 teens and early twenty somethings performing so powerfully when their hearts were broken is a tear jerker), but I think 79/80 is what many people still want from Spirit. For me, their "Porgy and Bess" opening and "Willow Weep for Me" have some of those Spirit sparks. There are some portions of the show that don't quite have that certain something, but it's not impossible. I think that what could be hurting Spirit this year is that their strengths are strong which only highlights their weaknesses. I expect that by Allentown, if not Atlanta, these things will be corrected. While I do think they will have to fight to make finals, this si due more to the reported successes of Crossmen, Troopers, Blue Stars and perhaps Colts than the weaknesses of Spirit.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

Oh, how I dearly wish to know what Jim Ott would have done with "God Bless The Child." AND heard his SOA line perform it.

Edited by HornTeacher

Do you think some corps are content with their non profit status and as a side shoot they field a corps too? Meaning the only reason the corps exists is to run the non profit and they aren't as concerned about "investing" into moving up the ranks? Kind of like the Chicago Cubs exist to put money in the owners bank account, they aren't interested in winning a world series, or the Cleveland Browns for that matter, while other organizations such as the Patriots are committed to winning Super Bowls, or the Yankees...relating corps to sports to draw a parallel.

And this is posted in Spirit's thread instead of starting a new one because ... ?

I don't have any way of knowing if your theory holds true with any other corps out there, but I can tell you without a doubt that no one's bank account has ever been boosted by money generated by Spirit of Atlanta. If fact the thought of such a thing is pretty laughable.

• Like 1