Spirit of Atlanta...

JKT90

It is frustrating as an alum, but God Bless the kids and staff... A part of me would love to say that if Spirit went by the names of BD, Vanguard, or Cadets then the 73 would be an 83. I can't though... It is what it is... Not giving up on them.

Hang tough, SoA!

BK added closer went up 3 points. Blue Stars learned new closer went up 3 points. The name of the game is who can adapt fastest. You cant let new work change the score that much. Anyone that marches now understands this. If you learned it during the day its not new for the show. They have been around the same score for a week. San Antonio is the panic button imo

So true, yet the Glassmen are truly missed too. It's so sad! Love your positive vibe.

Well, I am not a fan of pilling on when things are less than desired, but I must admit I had some sinking feelings back in the fall when so many key staff members left the corps. After viewing some video (I have seen no one live), there still seems to be some talent there, but the show development seems rather underwhelming. The past three years we so enjoyable and I thought extremely smart and clever for where the corps had been for 20 years (ad yes, in the glory days) and where they eventually wanted to go. I do wish them the best. There are a lot of questions I am sure for the staff to answer asap: change? clean? edit? add? What about the members' collective and individual experiences at this point? That is most important.

It is frustrating as an alum, but God Bless the kids and staff... A part of me would love to say that if Spirit went by the names of BD, Vanguard, or Cadets then the 73 would be an 83. I can't though... It is what it is... Not giving up on them.

Only if they had Pete Weber or Jeff Sacktig.

Don't pretend like you can't SEE the difference, design wise.

BK added closer went up 3 points. Blue Stars learned new closer went up 3 points. The name of the game is who can adapt fastest. You cant let new work change the score that much. Anyone that marches now understands this. If you learned it during the day its not new for the show. They have been around the same score for a week. San Antonio is the panic button imo

Totally agree. When I marched with SoA in 1990, they had missed finals the year before...so I can somewhat relate to what's going on there. We constantly tweaked the show, changed the opener a couple of times, changed the closer a couple of times, tweaked things and continued to add to it...the corps director Tam always told us we are adding in the pieces of the puzzle. What I do remember is being in retreat listening to scores, we never won a show that year, and I knew we weren't scoring well, I mean we practically toured with Cadets, Cavies and Star almost the entire summer it seemed, then we hooked in with VK. We never beat these guys, we never came close to scoring with the big 3. However, at rehearsals we NEVER heard anything about scores, it was never discussed by the staff. We plugged along, doing what Drum Corps is about, and that is getting things as close to perfect as you can and maximizing out your potential, giving it everything you had and then some more. We were never jumped on by the staff because of our scores, in fact it was opposite that....the staff, especially Tam would always say, now "When we make finals"...I use to think, yeah, fat chance of that happening, but you hear something over and over again you start believe it...come semi-finals it was close, 3 of us were constantly beating each other, DutchBoy was one, don't remember the other one...long story short, we made finals, finished 11th. All that to say, I hope their season goes well and mirrors what I went through BITD. It's not impossible, but things need to start changing and fast.

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 1

I admit that I have been extremely critical of Spirit. Pretty harshly, that was over the top. I am a fan of Spirit. I live in Georgia and love the fact that they are our states representative along with CorpVets in drum corp. In my world, I equate drum corps with sports, so when things go wrong it pisses me off and like most sports fans we start looking for blame. The kids are just doing what is being given to them. I do think that it is to late that no matter what they do it will not help much. This is just my opinion, but I do not think the staff has any creative ideas on what to do with this show. I have been watching the latest videos of the last few competitions. The thing that jumps out is the guard. There is not one moment until the end that the entire guard are engaged in flag work that really compliments what the horns are doing. And I don't mean in the opener when they use the tree branch flags that have no effect what so ever. Another thing that jumps out is their opening hit. It just seems that it is, well, weak. Maybe I will change my mind. I will not seem them until the Opelika Alabama show. They will go head to head with Colts at that show. Who knows, I just hope they have not given up.

If anything is to happen with this show it has to be within these next few days. Between now and San Antonio they only have one show, and even with traveling they should have ample rehearsal time. Solidify the changes you've made so far, and add in anything that might help without being too difficult. And definitely keep the kids motivated.

I think they need to pass Colts and be within a point or less of Troopers/Xmen in SA if they are to have any shot at Saturday night. Otherwise it just won't happen this season.

If anything is to happen with this show it has to be within these next few days. Between now and San Antonio they only have one show, and even with traveling they should have ample rehearsal time. Solidify the changes you've made so far, and add in anything that might help without being too difficult. And definitely keep the kids motivated.

I think they need to pass Colts and be within a point or less of Troopers/Xmen in SA if they are to have any shot at Saturday night. Otherwise it just won't happen this season.

To be honest, I think colts will continue to improve in the placements, not fall.

After seeing Spirit in Lawrence, Bristol, and Lynn, I guess I am surprised they are having some of their placement problems. Portions of their show work really well and "Willow Weep For Me" is powerful. Parts of the show are not as strong and a better ending could help, but I wouldn't count them out. We also knew Troopers, Crossmen, and Colts would be competitive. Someone suggested San Antonio is do or die, I'd venture that this year it could be as late as Allentown.