Phantom Regiment 2014

It also sounds like they're using the "flapping wings and chirping birds" from "On Air" (2007) in the very beginning as well...

Well, that can't have been a synth, since those weren't permitted until 2009.

Regiment has played Saint Saens Symphony #3, the "Organ Symphony", a number of times in the past, though not since 90, I think. if they aren't going to do my annual request for Janacek's "Sinfonietta", that would be a good one to bring out complete with organ and the piano features. One of my all-time favorite pieces ever, and it has a gorgeous 'ballad' spot with the cello section that works great on the field.

You may have hit on something. With the technological advances in digital organ design there are amazing things that could be achieved with corps and organ. And talk about thunderous goo! At least it would make sense

Check out Cameron Carpenter in you tube

Edited by eric49
  • Like 1

Who, me? I posted plenty of positives as well. I thought my post was pretty backed up and well balanced.

No, was referring to the all the posts. Sorry I did not mean to have any one singled out. The posts jump from good criticism (sorry for the spelling) to irrelevant things such as hair extensions. I guess that is the nature of the beast. Sorry

general?????

Phantom just needs to get away from classical. It is getting dry and boring.

Phantom has played only the tiniest sliver of classical music, which spans hundreds of years, even though they have played a fairly wide range of classical music, from Johann Pachabel to Philip Glass: there's just so much of it that they've only scratched the surface since they decided to focus on classical in the 1970s. (We're obviously using "classical" in the broad sense, since Phantom has played very little Classical in the narrow sense of Haydn to Schubert. There's all sorts of different ways to classify music, but it would be quite reasonable to claim that jazz and rock combined are small by comparison to classical.) To the degree that it's boring (if it is), it is due to Phantom's approach, not the music itself.

• Like 2

Phantom has played only the tiniest sliver of classical music, which spans hundreds of years, even though they have played a fairly wide range of classical music, from Johann Pachabel to Philip Glass: there's just so much of it that they've only scratched the surface since they decided to focus on classical in the 1970s. (We're obviously using "classical" in the broad sense, since Phantom has played very little Classical in the narrow sense of Haydn to Schubert. There's all sorts of different ways to classify music, but it would be quite reasonable to claim that jazz and rock combined are small by comparison to classical.) To the degree that it's boring (if it is), it is due to Phantom's approach, not the music itself.