Phantom Regiment 2014

Cool down. Every Corps makes changes in the show with drill. Regiment has done it for years.

I'm just stating a point of view that if you have weak or bad writing to begin with, there's not a good foundation on which to build. That's all.

Edited by eric49

I am not ducking the question, but I did not see the show but once early on as I was sick that year. In all honesty Idid not give it a chance.

That show hits me in many ways. It started out rough, but it felt like it had such a soul and by the end of the season it was really moving.

There was a Regiment video early in the season that year showing interviews with the caption heads. Dan Farrel indicated that they asked Myron what he wanted to do for a show. The interview turns to Rosander who said they all decided they wanted to do a show about beauty. That, to me, is how the show turned out.

During the season the show got stronger and stronger and then they added in the unique entry exit on the field. By that time, they had a show that didn't have a story as much as a concept about life and death and no one needed to hear/read about the story to understand what was going on. At least that's my opinion.

Near the end of the season Phantom started posting videos of members reacting to season end and many could not stop from crying saying how the show had touched them.

I know they had a complete design staff involved but to this day I think that show has Myron Rosander written all over it. I never really watched what he had done prior to that year, but after that show i became a huge fan of his.

• Like 8

That show hits me in many ways. It started out rough, but it felt like it had such a soul and by the end of the season it was really moving.

There was a Regiment video early in the season that year showing interviews with the caption heads. Dan Farrel indicated that they asked Myron what he wanted to do for a show. The interview turns to Rosander who said they all decided they wanted to do a show about beauty. That, to me, is how the show turned out.

During the season the show got stronger and stronger and then they added in the unique entry exit on the field. By that time, they had a show that didn't have a story as much as a concept about life and death and no one needed to hear/read about the story to understand what was going on. At least that's my opinion.

Near the end of the season Phantom started posting videos of members reacting to season end and many could not stop from crying saying how the show had touched them.

I know they had a complete design staff involved but to this day I think that show has Myron Rosander written all over it. I never really watched what he had done prior to that year, but after that show i became a huge fan of his.

Your review could not be more beautifully put. It definitely had Rosander written all over it. And interestingly, to me, it was all Phantrom Regiment and had very little, if any, reference to the work he did with SCV. I alo remember reading and hearing many times from members that year about how he had touched them personally and how they admired him.

Edited by eric49
  • Like 3

I'm just stating a point of view that if you have weak or bad writing to begin with, there's not a good foundation on which to build. That's all.

Phantom and everyone else makes a lot of drill changes. Do you remember Spartacus before mid-season rewrites? At one point the corps forms a sword on the field and rotates it. That was completely rewritten as was a lot of the last piece.

I can remember lots of rewrites through the years.

I have to say, after watching the most recent FN video of Phantom's show, I think it's really coming together nicely. It flows much better now. All they have to do is clean it (which will happen) and figure out some small non-issues and they have a very good production. I'm sorry I doubted them this year. They're really doing well right now. Let's hope they can add more meat to the horn book and keep the competitiveness!

Are you referring to the new video from the Michigan City show? I noticed they've changed some of the brass parts and I think some of the character movement.

One thing - they are times when they are covering the field this year. A lot of the drill is wide open. It makes them look huge!

• Like 1

It'd be great for them to do something like that again. It still would be very Regiment...just find some great music.

• Like 3

Are you referring to the new video from the Michigan City show? I noticed they've changed some of the brass parts and I think some of the character movement.

One thing - they are times when they are covering the field this year. A lot of the drill is wide open. It makes them look huge!

Yes. And they really do look huge! I did notice the tuba soli at the beginning was slightly different (less descending notes and more meandering in the same register, I think), but I wasn't sure what else changed.

I just caught a youtube video of Swan Lake a few minutes ago. I am dumbfounded at the tag of the closer. It is worse than freshman composition 101. It's really awful and hopefully the show is not ultimately going to finish with this ending. It is so obviously stuck on to allow the drill to finish.

Almost all of the top corps do this. They come out with a false ending or a lame ending or a short ending to 1) put on on a "full" show at the beginning of the season and 2) get more points down the road for "improvements" to the incomplete stuff that they initially put out.

Phantom and everyone else makes a lot of drill changes. Do you remember Spartacus before mid-season rewrites? At one point the corps forms a sword on the field and rotates it. That was completely rewritten as was a lot of the last piece.

I can remember lots of rewrites through the years.

​... they resurrected that rotating sword last year for "Lackluster Journey"... and the snippet from Faust as well (11:15)

• Like 1